Windows 10 Experience

Old September 1st 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

Default Windows 10 Experience

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 8/31/2015 11:49 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 14:47:32 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 17:34:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I have an OKI C5600 printer on my home network. The two computers
which connect to it run Windows 10 and XP. The most uptodate
driver
available for the printer is Windows 8.1. It's printing of
Windows 10
but won't accept anything from XP. I suspect the problem is a
clash of
network security policies but so far I haven't been able to find
any
user interface for this in W10. Frustrating.

Is the XP computer looking for the wrong printer IP address,
because
it changed?

it's not hard to find devices on a network, regardless of ip
address.

If he set up a static IP for the printer, and the printer is
connected
directly to the network, not one of the computers, and the IP
changed,
I don't think the XP computer can find it. I'm basing this on my
experience with PC's with static IP's, but I think it would also
apply
to printers. And I did admittedly leave the static part out of my
first reply.

But then we have Work Groups and Home Groups and ...

Home Groups and Work Groups can be thought of as simply a layer of
security. (I have little doubt that he who shall not be named will
But why get into all that, at all. Unless there is a reason not to,
simply use DHCP.

Homegroups makes sharing an easier process for users, or so it was
intended to be and it got quite frustration for many users. I could
never get any computer in the house (two running Windows 8, one running
Windows 7) to join my desktop's Homegroup when it was running Windows 8,
nor could I get it to join any of those computer's Homegroup. One thing
that could cause this to happen is if the clocks weren't exactly in
sync. That wasn't my issue and I never bothered to try to solve it.
Once I installed Windows 10, joining the Homegroup on my desktop works
fine, all the systems in the house have joined.

Old September 1st 15, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-01 13:28:36 +0000, PeterN said:

On 9/1/2015 8:14 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have a friend who MUST have the latest widget. He has three apple
watches, IIRC one of them has the titanium band.

there is no titanium band.

Stainless steel band.
He said it cost almost 10k

The Watch with stainless band cost $999. That is $9K short of the
inflated $10K.

I will double check next time I speak to him. I freely admit to
occasional brain farts.

--
PeterN
Old September 1st 15, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 17:34:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

With XP I never had any Workgroup issues. Win7, furgedaboudit. I was
going to set up a VPN, but decided I really didn't need one.

--
PeterN
Old September 1st 15, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-01 16:50:02 +0000, PeterN said:

With XP I never had any Workgroup issues. Win7, furgedaboudit. I was
going to set up a VPN, but decided I really didn't need one.

I used Windows at work and there it was mostly variations of Win NT,
and there we had various workgroups based on sections. At Home I have
XP which I can run on my Mac in Bootcamp or with VMWare Fusion. I
haven't booted into Win in over 2 years now.

A VPN is not a necessity, but it is part of my internet access tool kit.

As far as a VPN goes, I use it so I can access BBC, and iTV in the UK.
For those times I need to use a public WiFi hotspot for internet
access, a VPN provides an additional layer of security. However, these
days that is seldom as I have a pretty good Verizon data plan and
LTE/4G is fast enough for away from home access.

Savageduck

Old September 1st 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have a friend who MUST have the latest widget. He has three apple
watches, IIRC one of them has the titanium band.

there is no titanium band.

Stainless steel band.
He said it cost almost 10k

he's lying.

the stainless steel link bracelet is $949 or $999, depending whether
it's the 38mm or 42mm version.

the apple link bracelet can also be adjusted by the user by easily
snapping in or out links, something that other link bracelets requires
a jeweler to do.

the 18k gold apple watch edition starts at $10k and can go as high as
$17k, depending on which band is selected, but that's real 18k gold,
not stainless steel.

Now there are Smart watches with no phone required.

not very many because battery life truly sucks if the tiny battery in a
watch has to power a cellular radio.

another thing you got wrong is that no phone is required for an apple
watch other than the initial pairing and setup. it can do a number of
things without a phone and a many more in a couple of weeks with the
next version of the os.

I didn't get it wrong.

yes you did.

They were specifically talking about a smart
watch, with a battery that lasts over 24 hrs, that can be used as cell
phone.

the link was about the galaxy gear s, which not only needs a phone for
many things, including initial pairing and setup, but it can only be a
samsung android phone. tough **** if you have a motorola or htc or any
other android phone.

in 'typical' use it might get more than 24 hours, but so does the apple
watch. however, if you're going to use it as a phone, it will be quite
a bit less.

it's the same reason that a smartphone can go for a few days if you
don't make many calls, but if you do, the battery life is shorter. it's
the same for dumbphones too, which can last a week or more on standby
but as short as less than a day with a lot of calls.

the galaxy gear s is also *huge*, which lets samsung use a larger
battery.
http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/mida...c405acd5bd556/
201155810/samsunggears01.jpg

I agree that battery life is an issue, but there could be new
technology.

there's always new technology coming.

smar****ches are a brand new product category, just like smartphones
once were.

as process technology shrinks and battery technology improves, the
battery life will get longer, but it will be a very long time until
it's anywhere close to a traditional watch.

the pebble smar****ch gets about a week per charge but it has an e-ink
display.
Old September 1st 15, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/1/2015 2:03 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I have a friend who MUST have the latest widget. He has three apple
watches, IIRC one of them has the titanium band.

there is no titanium band.

Stainless steel band.
He said it cost almost 10k

The •Watch with stainless band cost $999. That is $9K short of the
inflated $10K.

I will double check next time I speak to him. I freely admit to
occasional brain farts.

that's a first.

Unlike you, I always admit when I am wrong. I do not twist, or try to
change the subject.

--
PeterN
Old September 1st 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Stainless steel band.
He said it cost almost 10k

The €Watch with stainless band cost $999. That is $9K short of the
inflated $10K.

I will double check next time I speak to him. I freely admit to
occasional brain farts.

that's a first.

Unlike you, I always admit when I am wrong.

i admit when i'm wrong but it takes more than someone simply saying i'm
wrong with no evidence to show that i'm wrong.

included in that is when someone does not understand what is being
discussed and argues about what was never said.

I do not twist, or try to
change the subject.

i don't do that.
Old September 1st 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/1/2015 2:18 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Stainless steel band.
He said it cost almost 10k

The €Watch with stainless band cost $999. That is $9K short of the
inflated $10K.

I will double check next time I speak to him. I freely admit to
occasional brain farts.

that's a first.

Unlike you, I always admit when I am wrong.

i admit when i'm wrong but it takes more than someone simply saying i'm
wrong with no evidence to show that i'm wrong.

included in that is when someone does not understand what is being
discussed and argues about what was never said.

I do not twist, or try to
change the subject.

i don't do that.

THIS MESSAGE IS SAVED, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. IT WON'T TAKE YOU TOO LONG
TO REVERT TO FORM

--
PeterN
Old September 2nd 15, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 07:46:49 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

I was intending to wait for about a year (as I did with XP) but I was
more or less forced into it when I thought that might have been at the
heart of my problem with Spyder. Well, I'm there now and here I think
I will stay. The biggest disadvantage that I have got is the absence
of a decent manual (the one I want is coming late September).

It's no fun if you RTFM

It's not fun right now.

Eric Stevens