Copying 35mm slides

Old April 19th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Copying 35mm slides

Hi

I have a large collection of old 35mm slides, which I would like to copy
onto the hard disc of my computer.

I would appreciate advise on the best way to do this. I currently use a
Nikon Coolpix 5700.

Many thanks

Old April 19th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I would try setting the camera to macro and photograph them on a light
table.
See Slide Copy on my Nikon page. Hand holding the camer works pretty well
also.
http://www.photoprojects.net/index6.html
Gene

Old April 19th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Hirundo" writes:

I have a large collection of old 35mm slides, which I would like to copy
onto the hard disc of my computer.

I would appreciate advise on the best way to do this. I currently use a
Nikon Coolpix 5700.

The best way to do this is to buy a slide scanner. For a large
collection of slides, the extra cost of the Nikon Super Coolscan 5000
ED plus the SF-210 stack feeder may be worth it -- running a stack of
50 slides unsupervised can save a lot of your time.

"Old slides" also strongly suggests that a scanner with ICE is
imperative. It'll save *hours* editing out dust, scratches, and
misc. grit.

You can get okay screen-resolution results using a camera and a slide
copier, or (even harder) a light source, macro lens setting, and slide
holder. This would be much cheaper than getting a good scanner,
obviously.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old April 19th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have a large collection of old 35mm slides, which I would like to copy
onto the hard disc of my computer.

I would appreciate advise on the best way to do this. I currently use a
Nikon Coolpix 5700.

You could try something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/c2et8

Malcolm

Old April 20th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

You can do it with a camera, results aren't too bad, but you will only
get 14mb images, scanners will give you bigger, more flexible files. If
you only need the 14mb then you're fine, I have used a Nikon 995 for
doing files for PowerPoint presentation and only used half image size.
Be sure you are in macro mode and turn down your contrast settings in
the menu.
If you need images for multiple purposes I would recommend a scanner, I
was in the slide scanner mode until I got an Epson V700, very close to
a slide scanner at 100% I can tell the difference between the V700 and
my old Nikon LS2000 ( the 2000 at full res, the Epson at 2800ppi) The
Epson gives better dynamic range and is much faster. The Epson will
scan 12 slides at 2000ppi less than 20 minutes. The LS2000 would take
almost an hour.

Have fun
Tom

Old April 20th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"tomm42" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Many thanks to all for the information.

Old April 23rd 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:37:39 +0100, "Hirundo"
wrote:

Hi

I have a large collection of old 35mm slides, which I would like to copy
onto the hard disc of my computer.

I would appreciate advise on the best way to do this. I currently use a
Nikon Coolpix 5700.

There are too many, "It all depends".
If you have a lot as in several thousand or more and you want high
quality then the dedicated film and slide scanner is still the best
way to go.

However if you are going for quality and scanning at least 4000 dpi
and 16 bit color depth then you are looking at roughly 120 - 130 megs
per image. That is a *lot* of storage.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/scanning.htm might help and it's a lot
easier than typing here:-))

Good Luck,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Many thanks

Old April 23rd 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

[...]

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.