Canon G6 or Digital Rebel or Nikon D70

Old December 17th 04, 01:55 PM
Darrell

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the tip on the firmware hack. Does it prevent upgrading the
firmware in the event that Canon puts out new upgrades? Or maybe the
firmware is mature and Canon no longer upgrades it?

Regarding the EOS f/1.8 50mm lens, I'd say $70 is a good deal. I was
checking on something equivilant for Nikon and I found the Nikon Normal
AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Autofocus Lens for $230 (B&H Photo). That's
quite a big price difference. I found the Canon lens for $70 at B&H,
and I reread the dpreview review site and they say the Canon 50mm f1.8
lens compares very well to the Nikon, which is suprising considering
the Nikon costs 3 times the price. Can you explain the difference when
the lens says Xmm - Ymm or just Xmm? I don't understand what that
means, does it mean that there is no zoom?

The Nikon 50mm f: 1.8 costs $99 usd, 50mm f:1.4 costs $260 usd, the Canon
50mm f:1.8 is $75 usd and their 50mm f:1.4 is $300 usd. So compare the right
lenses, not apples vs. oranges.

Old December 17th 04, 05:32 PM

I found out today about their rebate, valid until Jan 31. It's $100
off for the camera, or if I buy an expensive lens it doubles the
rebate. Their lenses are around $300 min, so with the rebate that
would be like $100 off = $200. Not a bad deal. The more I read about
the Canon the more I'm impressed. I have until Jan 31 to make up my
mind.

To the other posters, I'm sorry I got the 1.4 50mm & 1.8 50mm lenses
mixed up. Now I understand that both Nikon & Canon have both, and that
1.4 is so much more expensive. That makes sense as well. 1.4 sounds
really nice, I bet with the high ISO it could almost take pictures in
the dark!

-Michael

Old December 31st 04, 05:46 PM
JasonEDH

The difference between the 50mm F/1.4 and 50 F/1.8 is plastic casing
vs. metal, and the 1.4 has a USM drive motor as opposed to the DC motor
in the 1.8. I just bought the 28-135mm ISU and the 50mm F/1.4, both to
take advantage of the GREAT REBATE canon is offering now. $300 off the
Rebel and $45 off each of the lens. You can't be it!

Old December 31st 04, 09:48 PM
Harvey

"JasonEDH" wrote in message
oups.com...
The difference between the 50mm F/1.4 and 50 F/1.8 is plastic casing
vs. metal, and the 1.4 has a USM drive motor as opposed to the DC motor
in the 1.8. I just bought the 28-135mm ISU and the 50mm F/1.4, both to
take advantage of the GREAT REBATE canon is offering now. $300 off the
Rebel and $45 off each of the lens. You can't be it!

The store guy told me yesterday the Canon rebate was $100 on the Digital
Rebel, not $300.