Which is better - Sony P-100 or Kodak DX-7440 ?

Old July 11th 04, 03:46 AM
NYC

Default Which is better - Sony P-100 or Kodak DX-7440 ?

Trying to make a decision on which of these two to buy. Both have plenty
of scene modes. The Kodak has a larger LCD. The size and build of the
cameras has me leaning towards the Sony. The Sony is very convenient to
carry (can even fit in pants pocket) while the Kodak is bulky. The Sony
is made of metal. The Kodak is plastic. Of the reviews I've seen the
Kodak exhibits more noise in it's images. I've handled both at Best Buy
and found both of them to feel good. I like the compactness of the Sony.
The Kodak features aperture and shutter priority, the Sony does not.
I've seen images from the Sony (very good) on many camera review
websites but non from the Kodak. Though one doesn't usually think of
Sony when the subject of "cameras" comes up, I would think Kodak would
be an even lesser manufacturer to come to mind. If anyone can add
anything towards my making an informed decision I would be very
appreciative....Thanks.

Old July 11th 04, 04:05 AM
Ron Hunter

NYC wrote:
[...]

Excuse me? Kodak has been making cameras for about the past 100 years!
It still sells more than anyone else, so WHY wouldn't you think of it?

Which camera you buy depends on which best suits YOUR needs (and wants),
and it appears you have already decided on the Sony. Read your post as
if it were from someone else and see if you don't agree.

Old July 11th 04, 04:31 AM
NYC

Ron Hunter wrote:
NYC wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't think of it because Kodak while making cameras for a very
long time, is overshadowed by other more widely known manufacturers
(Canon, Nikon, Minolta etc...) The last Kodak I bought was a ten dollar
disposable. Now if we talk "film" then yes I agree with you. No, I have
not already decided (though if you read my post again you'll see I am
leaning towards the Sony). The final decision will come when I can
compare the image quality. Guess I'll have to wait for someone to
actually go out and buy a Kodak.

Old July 11th 04, 09:54 AM
Ron Hunter

NYC wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

NYC wrote:

[...]

I have not yet seen the model Kodak you mention, but I have the DX6440.
From what I can see, the cameras share sensor and lens.

If you want to look at some pictures, I took about 450 on a recent
Alaskan Cruise. Go to www.webshots.com and look for user rphunter42 and
check the 'homepage' for the albums. Very few of the shots have been
processed in any way. Bear in mind that they shots have been compressed
twice, once in the camera and once more by Webshots for storage.
Old July 11th 04, 04:40 PM
NYC

Ron Hunter wrote:
NYC wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

NYC wrote:

[...]

From what I can see, the cameras share sensor and lens.

If you want to look at some pictures, I took about 450 on a recent
Alaskan Cruise. Go to www.webshots.com and look for user rphunter42 and
check the 'homepage' for the albums. Very few of the shots have been
processed in any way. Bear in mind that they shots have been compressed
twice, once in the camera and once more by Webshots for storage.

Thanks for the link. I'll look at it later today as I hope to make a
decision by the middle of the week. I don't know maybe I'm expecting too
much from a digital camera. I am currently using an F-100 but find that
I due to the weight (lenses too) I leave it behind most of the time.

Old July 12th 04, 01:15 AM
Ron Hunter

NYC wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

NYC wrote:

Ron Hunter wrote:

NYC wrote:

[...]

From what I can see, the cameras share sensor and lens.

If you want to look at some pictures, I took about 450 on a recent
Alaskan Cruise. Go to www.webshots.com and look for user rphunter42
and check the 'homepage' for the albums. Very few of the shots have
been processed in any way. Bear in mind that they shots have been
compressed twice, once in the camera and once more by Webshots for
storage.

Thanks for the link. I'll look at it later today as I hope to make a
decision by the middle of the week. I don't know maybe I'm expecting too
much from a digital camera. I am currently using an F-100 but find that
I due to the weight (lenses too) I leave it behind most of the time.

Well, the best camera equipment in the world won't take a good picture
if you leave it at home..