Bellows repair

Old April 27th 05, 07:40 PM
Clyde

Default Bellows repair

My first attempt at repairing the bellows on my Korona 7 x 17 proved a
waste of time (black rubber compound from hardware store); worked but
didn't last. The 90-year-old bellows were showing their age. I feared
I'd have to shell out $300+ for new bellows since making my own seems
too daunting.

But I decided to try the Bellows Patch Sealer from Bostick & Sullivan
(less than $20 delivered). Outstanding! Easy to apply with a paint
brush, goes on grey and dries to black so you can see where you're
working, many thin layers build up to a very tough and flexible rubber
coating.

It took about 6 hours over 2 days to fully repair my bellows, using
about half the bottle. You have to get within a few feet to tell it
isn't new. A bit stiffer now when collapsing for transport but it looks
like this repair should last indefinitely.

This is a great solution for those with black bellows that are dried and
cracked. Even major repairs may be possible.
Old April 28th 05, 01:36 AM
jjs

"Clyde" wrote in message
My first attempt at repairing the bellows on my Korona 7 x 17 proved a
waste of time (black rubber compound from hardware store); worked but
didn't last. The 90-year-old bellows were showing their age. I feared
I'd have to shell out $300+ for new bellows since making my own seems
too daunting.

But I decided to try the Bellows Patch Sealer from Bostick & Sullivan
(less than $20 delivered). Outstanding! Easy to apply with a paint
brush, goes on grey and dries to black so you can see where you're
working, many thin layers build up to a very tough and flexible rubber
coating.

Thanks for the valuable tip, Clyde. I've been using a product intended for
American automobile vinyl tops. It works very well, but the fact that your
suggested product goes on grey, and is used by a real camera concern could
be an improvement. Thanks again, Sir.

Old April 28th 05, 05:19 AM
Thor Lancelot Simon

Clyde wrote:
My first attempt at repairing the bellows on my Korona 7 x 17 proved a
waste of time (black rubber compound from hardware store); worked but
didn't last. The 90-year-old bellows were showing their age. I feared
I'd have to shell out $300+ for new bellows since making my own seems
too daunting.

I use Permatex Black gasket maker (this is an RTV silicone rubber product).
It has worked wonders for me, much as you describe the Bostick and
Sullivan product doing for you. But it goes on very very dark grey and
dries only slightly darker. The color change sounds like a nice plus to
the B+S product -- I'll have to give it a try!

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky