Rear tilt focus?

Old April 14th 05, 06:33 PM
Fred Leif

Actually, I wasn't 'recommending' anything. Just providing quotes from a
nice vintage book that I thought would help the original poster.

I certainly wasn't recommending back tilt above front tilt in all cases.
That's up to what you intend to achieve in the photo. A choice to be made.
I thought the reference the book made to Scheimpflug was the key here.

As noted by others, the language the book used regarding 'depth of field' is
now more accurately described as the focus plane or plane of focus.
However, the quotes provide a concise sense of three major ways in which
back swing/tilt can be used. Certainly, they seem to have provoked an
interesting thread.

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote in message
"Fred Leif" wrote

3. Deliberate control of perspective. In advertising, particularly

snip...

he's recommending back swings and tilts over front swings and tilts
without
emphasizing the fact that back swings and tilts will fundamentally effect
composition of the subject on the film plane, where front swings and tilts
will not.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old April 15th 05, 05:46 PM
Matt Clara

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote:

back swings and tilts will fundamentally effect
composition of the subject on the film plane,

No. They will change image shape but the rock will still be in the same
place on the ground glass.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

That's still a change in composition--the image you were composing now looks
different than it did.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old April 15th 05, 05:47 PM
Matt Clara

"Fred Leif" wrote in message
Actually, I wasn't 'recommending' anything. Just providing quotes from a
nice vintage book that I thought would help the original poster.

Nor did I mean to put words in your mouth, which is why I said "seems
like"...

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old April 17th 05, 10:31 PM
Matt Clara

"Matt Clara" wrote:

back swings and tilts will fundamentally effect
composition of the subject on the film plane,

No. They will change image shape but the rock will still be in the same
place on the ground glass.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Sorry, I see you're actually giving me a hard time about my loose use of the
word "subject". No, the subject won't actually be on the film plane as one
might infer from my text. I should have said, "back swings and tilts will
fundamentally effect composition of the image of the subject projected on
the film plane." I could have left off the word "plane," too, but chose to
leave it because it's the film's plane that is changed with swings and tilts
of the rear standard.
;-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old April 18th 05, 07:10 PM
Bandicoot

"Matt Clara" wrote:

back swings and tilts will fundamentally effect
composition of the subject on the film plane,

No. They will change image shape but the rock will still be in the
same place on the ground glass.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Sorry, I see you're actually giving me a hard time about my loose use

of the word "subject". No, the subject won't actually be on the film
plane as one might infer from my text. I should have said, "back
swings and tilts will fundamentally effect composition of the image of
the subject projected on the film plane." I could have left off the
word "plane," too, but chose to leave it because it's the film's plane
that is changed with swings and tilts of the rear standard.
;-)

Well, if we're going to get into matters of precise language, you mean
"affect", not "effect" in the above...

;-)

Peter

Old April 18th 05, 07:16 PM
jjs

"Bandicoot" wrote in message

Well, if we're going to get into matters of precise language, you mean
"affect", not "effect" in the above...

Please do not end sentences with ellipses...

Old April 18th 05, 07:16 PM
jjs

Old April 19th 05, 01:08 AM
Bandicoot

"jjs" wrote in message
"Bandicoot" wrote in message

Well, if we're going to get into matters of precise language, you mean
"affect", not "effect" in the above...

Please do not end sentences with ellipses...

I like ellipses, they sort of mirror the way I talk, fading off into an
incoherent - but highly suggestive - murmur...

I like dashes too. So did Edgar Alan Poe - he scattered them all over the
place.

;-)

Peter

Old April 20th 05, 12:41 AM
Matt Clara

"Bandicoot" wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote:

[...]

Yes, you're right, affect, as in to influence... (I like ellipses, too--but
then I prefer the em dash to the plain old vanilla dash...)
;-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com