Canon S400 or Sony DSCP92?

Old July 2nd 03, 11:24 PM
Louise

Default Canon S400 or Sony DSCP92?

[This followup was posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

I'm buying my first digital camera after many years of
using mostly Nikons and lugging around a few zoom lenses,
filters, film....on and on.

I am limiting my price range to $500 and don't expect the
digital I purchase to really replace my good Nikon film
camera. What I want is something that takes good shots and
is small and light.

I seem to have narrowed my choices to the Canon S400 or the
Sony DSCP 92 which is 5 megapixels and seems to be as small
and light as the 4 megapixel Canon.

I want good quality color representation and of course, as
much clarity as possible.

I'm leaning toward the Canon because of it's excellent
reputation and because it uses Compact Flash. It also has
a lithium ion battery while the Sony seems to have nickel
metal hydride - which usually doesn't hold a charge as
well.

However, the Sony is 5 megapixels and the Canon is 4
megapixels and they are about the same price.

Help? All suggestions and recommendations greatly
appreciated.

TIA
Old July 27th 03, 01:58 AM
JK

Louise wrote:

[This followup was posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

I'm buying my first digital camera after many years of
using mostly Nikons and lugging around a few zoom lenses,
filters, film....on and on.

I am limiting my price range to $500 and don't expect the
digital I purchase to really replace my good Nikon film
camera. What I want is something that takes good shots and
is small and light.

I seem to have narrowed my choices to the Canon S400 or the
Sony DSCP 92 which is 5 megapixels and seems to be as small
and light as the 4 megapixel Canon.

Both have lenses that are very slow at the telephoto end. If you like
to shoot in low light, I suggest that you consider a Canon G3 or
Olympus C5050. They are around $550 now, and might be under
$500 in a few months?

I want good quality color representation and of course, as
much clarity as possible.

I'm leaning toward the Canon because of it's excellent
reputation and because it uses Compact Flash. It also has
a lithium ion battery while the Sony seems to have nickel
metal hydride - which usually doesn't hold a charge as
well.

That is not really true. Nimh batteries work quite well, and
spares are very inexpensive. Spare proprietary batteries
might be very expensive for a few.

However, the Sony is 5 megapixels and the Canon is 4
megapixels and they are about the same price.

Help? All suggestions and recommendations greatly
appreciated.

Memory sticks are also expensive. Go for an Olympus C5050.
It is not shirt pocket sized, but has a fast lens(f1.8-2.6) and
uses AA nimh batteries, and Compact Flash. Why spend
$30-60 each for spare proprietary batteries, when AA nimh
batteries can be bought for under $10 for 4?

TIA

Old August 4th 03, 07:15 PM
mike

I've used a lot of what Canon and Sony has to offer in digital cameras
up to this point. Sony makes a great camera, and their sensors are
used in just about all other digital cameras makers (in the same
class). And I'm a big fan of the F7x7 series.

I would recommend the S400 in most instances, and since you did not
specify if you'd be using the camera in special instances - I
recommend the S400 now.

Its more durable, uses CF I/II, has more features you can tweak in
camera, its light despite the alloy housing, and the dimensions fit
better in a pocket than the 92.