40D CAUGHT IN A STAREDOWN!

Old July 19th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,aus.photo
John McWilliams

Default 40D CAUGHT IN A STAREDOWN!

Annika1980 wrote:
Who will blink first?

Those who are getting tired of you crossposting and trying to generate
hits to your site.

--
lsmft
Old July 19th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Annika1980 wrote:
On Jul 19, 12:34 pm, John McWilliams wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Who will blink first?

Those who are getting tired of you crossposting and trying to generate
hits to your site.

I don't understand. You and Noons go ape**** when I crosspost to 3
different Newsgroups. But if I make 3 identical individual posts to
each Newsgroup, that is somehow better?

I say it makes it tougher to see the replies when you have to visit
the same thread on all 3 groups.

And if anyone is getting tired of anything it is probably your endless
whining and bitching about people crossposting. In case you haven't
heard, D-Mac invented the whole Newsgroup thingy and he didn't put you
in charge. So STFU!

FU GAME, SET, MATCH.

Always the winner!
Old July 19th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
2SQUID

Annika1980 wrote:
Who will blink first?

Those who are getting tired of you crossposting and trying to generate
hits to your site.

I don't understand. You and Noons go ape**** when I crosspost to 3
different Newsgroups. But if I make 3 identical individual posts to
each Newsgroup, that is somehow better?

I say it makes it tougher to see the replies when you have to visit
the same thread on all 3 groups.

And if anyone is getting tired of anything it is probably your endless
whining and bitching about people crossposting. In case you haven't
heard, D-Mac invented the whole Newsgroup thingy and he didn't put you
in charge. So STFU!

FU GAME, SET, MATCH.

The real problem with cross posting on the scale you and a couple of
others are doing is that the groups lose their individuality. Most
people will subscribe (or not) to a group because it offers some unique
quality they like.

Wether or not you do this on purpose or whether it is a by product of
your quest for popularity is immaterial. You are actually diminishing
the usefulness of each group by cross posting. Take out your posts and
those of Mark Thomas and Troy Piggins and there is hardly enough
sustainable traffic to support visiting a group.

Certainly anyone seeking to participate in a camera hardware forum would
steer well clear of RPE.35mm and aus.photo. In fact the only remaining
newsgroup offering any useful information is Alan Browne's creation: RPD
..slr-systems and even that is being destroyed by spammers.

Me and big squid.
Old July 19th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_15_]

Default [OT] 40D CAUGHT IN A STAREDOWN!

Annika1980 wrote:
[...]

I don't understand something. We're posting links to photos in
photography related groups. I do it for comments and critique
because I'm always learning, can't answer for Mark or Bret but
they both have way more experience than me. I know both have
recently been trying out new techniques as have I. I couldn't
care about popularity, and they're hosted on my own site so it's
immaterial how many hits I get. I'm sure the others couldn't
care less how many hits they get too. I note you don't mention
Rita and D-Mac.

And if we stop posting what we believe are on-topic,
photography-related discussion threads, you are saying there is
hardly enough sustainable traffic to support visiting the groups.
And that's what you /want/? I don't get it.

Ok. Can you please explain which of these groups is the one
where it is only appropriate to post links to photos, which one
it is only appropriate to discuss hardware, which one it is
appropriate only to have discussions about general photography
topics? Please link me the groups' charters supporting your
answers. I'm sure there are other groups, but these are the ones
I frequent:

aus.photo
rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rec.photo.digital
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Personally, I don't think it's people posting photos that's
killing the groups, it's the other noise - flame-wars and
off-topic discussions.

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old July 19th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_15_]

* Troy Piggins wrote :
* 2SQUID wrote :
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 25 lines snipped |=---]
[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just checked that charter for this group. I won't be crossposting
links to photos in there any more. Sorry.

rec.photo.digital
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Personally, I don't think it's people posting photos that's
killing the groups, it's the other noise - flame-wars and
off-topic discussions.

I think the others are still ok from what I just read.

Old July 19th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Troy Piggins wrote:
* Troy Piggins wrote :
* 2SQUID wrote :
[...]

You're 100% on the money there, Troy. It did occur to me that you also
post to three groups as the troublemakers do, but then I thought that
since you live in Oz, you weren't messing with that group as it's yours.
And x-posting to rpd gives a wider audience, don't think anyone objects
in the slightest. Adding a third group, rpd-slr may or may not be in
line with general netiquette, but I cannot imagine even this curmedgeon
objecting in the least, as you are posting, not trolling or warring, or
"educating the lesser beings", etc., etc.

Please keep up the fine work; just don't let it go to your head!

John McWilliams
Old July 19th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Helen wrote:
On Jul 19, 6:36 pm, John McWilliams wrote:
THE LORD wrote:
RIGHT ON BRET

Why bring alt.morons into this?
And yes I'm sorry but I crossposted. Could we perhaps get back on
topic about photography! Why not start by critiquing Bret's work?

Because recently Bret's been on about ego, not photos.

But I would like to discuss the can of powder against a black bg.
Interesting, and well done. How?

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 20th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Troy Piggins[_15_]

* John McWilliams wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:
[---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 38 lines snipped |=---]
[...]

I'll try.