extremely frustrated with stainless steel reels

Old February 27th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default extremely frustrated with stainless steel reels

Hello, everyone. I used to do a lot of darkroom work and had no
trouble loading 35mm onto stainless steel reels. Now, after a 4 year
break, I can't load a full roll for the life of me, even after
practicing in the light.

I'm using a Kalt reel that I just recently purchased. I have read
online that Jobo/Hewes reels are the gold standard. Some have the
opinion that it's a waste of time to use anything else. Others seem
perfectly happy with the less expensive brands.

So, I guess I'm just trying to decide whether to drop $35-$45 on a Jobo
reel. My biggest concern is that I won't be able to load that either.
I am considering buying an inexpensive plastic reel, but only if it
fits into my stainless steel tank. What do you guys think? Will the
Jobo really make a difference, or do I just need more practice with the
reel I have?

Thanks for your advice.
Joseph

Old February 27th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I'm using a Kalt reel that I just recently purchased. I have read
online that Jobo/Hewes reels are the gold standard. Some have the
opinion that it's a waste of time to use anything else. Others seem
perfectly happy with the less expensive brands.

The difference between a generic and a Hewes reel was *huge* for me.

I've tried plastic too. Personally I much prefer the stainless Hewes.

Then again I struggle with my 120 stainless reel (but it may not be a
hewes)

Old February 27th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article . com,
"Joseph O'Brien" writes:

Hello, everyone. I used to do a lot of darkroom work and had no
trouble loading 35mm onto stainless steel reels. Now, after a 4 year
break, I can't load a full roll for the life of me, even after
practicing in the light.

I'm using a Kalt reel that I just recently purchased.

Did you buy it new or used? Used reels may be bent, which will cause
problems.

I have read
online that Jobo/Hewes reels are the gold standard. Some have the
opinion that it's a waste of time to use anything else. Others seem
perfectly happy with the less expensive brands.

I've got two generic reels that I bought used, and they give me problems.
I think they're bent. I've also got two Hewes reels that I bought new and
that load very smoothly. That's not really a fair comparison, but it's the
only one I personally can make.

I am considering buying an inexpensive plastic reel, but only if it
fits into my stainless steel tank.

Are there any plastic reels that fit inside stainless steel tanks? I've
got a plastic AP tank with both AP and Paterson reels. They're much wider
than my stainless steel reels and wouldn't fit inside my stainless steel
tank. There may be smaller plastic reels, but if so I don't know anything
about them.

Personally, I find the plastic reels harder to load than the Hewes
stainless steel reels, but this is very much a matter of personal
preference; lots of people prefer the plastic reels.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old February 27th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Mike wrote:

I'm using a Kalt reel that I just recently purchased. I have read
online that Jobo/Hewes reels are the gold standard. Some have the
opinion that it's a waste of time to use anything else. Others seem
perfectly happy with the less expensive brands.

The difference between a generic and a Hewes reel was *huge* for me.

I've tried plastic too. Personally I much prefer the stainless Hewes.

Then again I struggle with my 120 stainless reel (but it may not be a
hewes)

I'll also cast a for for the Hewes reel. It's not magic; it's just a
greater precision in the distance between the two spirals than on any
other real that I have ever used.

--
To send me email, replace deadspam.com by acm.org
Old February 27th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:57:07 -0800, Herbert Kanner

Mike wrote:

I'm using a Kalt reel that I just recently purchased. I have read
online that Jobo/Hewes reels are the gold standard. Some have the
opinion that it's a waste of time to use anything else. Others seem
perfectly happy with the less expensive brands.

The difference between a generic and a Hewes reel was *huge* for me.

I've tried plastic too. Personally I much prefer the stainless Hewes.

Then again I struggle with my 120 stainless reel (but it may not be a
hewes)

I'll also cast a for for the Hewes reel. It's not magic; it's just a
greater precision in the distance between the two spirals than on any
other real that I have ever used.

Yes, that appears to be the issue. When I purchased my reels I rolled
them across the counter in the store. Any mis-alignment was obvious. I
found more than half of the Kalt reels were out of square. None of the
Jobo showed this problem.

David

Old February 27th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

UC wrote:
I have used Paterson reels and tanks for 35 years without difficulty.

There is nothing better.

For a while in the '80s Paterson made reels with a telfon coating. They
were sort of pink colored. The current production ones are good, but
not IMHO as good.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old February 27th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"UC" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have used Paterson reels and tanks for 35 years without difficulty.

There is nothing better.

Except if they are even slightly moist.

Old February 27th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
UC wrote:
I have used Paterson reels and tanks for 35 years without difficulty.

There is nothing better.

For a while in the '80s Paterson made reels with a telfon coating. They
were sort of pink colored. The current production ones are good, but
not IMHO as good.

Geoff.

I thought I stained them somehow, cool!

Old February 27th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I used stainless steel reels for several years in several different
darkrooms. They have stainless steel ribs but carbon steel hubs. If
they got dropped they bent. Check your reel for alignment. i.e.
CAREFULLY measure to be sure your reel isn't bent. Good Luck
Clint H.