Sony is Now a Spammer

Old April 25th 05, 05:40 PM
McWebber

Default Sony is Now a Spammer

Follow-up set to news.admin.net-abuse.email

History: I bought a domain name in 2001. All email addresses for the domain
were 'No such user' for 4 years until I activated the ones still getting hit
in the maillog and made them spamtraps.

Friday, I got this turd from Sony purporting to be emailing a customer.
[Subject: Sony requests your permission to communicate with you] They hired
an outfit called Freshaddress.com to take their customer list of names and
postal addresses and try to find email addresses so they can spam them.
Freshaddress.com didn't do a very good job of it. They somehow got this
spamtrap email address of mine. Not only that, but they weren't asking for
permission as they claim in the subject. The email was opt-out spam. They
were going to keep emailing until I told them to stop. They also tried to
claim that the address was signed up to some outfit called mindseti.com in
2002 which would have been impossible since I've owned it since mid 2001 and
didn't even use an email address on the domain at all. It was only used for
a web site.

I called a few numbers at Sony and was referred to a Ron Greitzer
858-942-8029 who is in charge of this.
Heard from Greitzer of Sony who uses the typical spammer excuse that since
they had permission to contact these customers by phone or postal mail, they
automatically had permission to send opt-out spam to them if they find an
email address for them. He couldn't understand the difference between postal
mail that Sony pays to send and email. When I asked him if he wanted the
email addresses of their customers that they had names and postal addresses
for why they didn't just send them a postcard asking for an email address,
he said economics. Sony wants you to pay for their marketing in this case.

I follow the Boulder Pledge. I have now bought my last Sony product. I own 2
Sony digital cameras that I have been happy with. My next camera will come
from someone else and I am in the process of looking for a new digital
camera. I won't be buying a Sony Spamera.

--
McWebber
No email replies read