where can you buy rodinal lately?

Old December 6th 05, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default where can you buy rodinal lately?

I noticed a few weeks back, B&H delisted rodinal on their website, and
they seemed to be the last of the big NYC photo shops to have it.
Anyone know of a reliable source? I'm in the NY/NJ area.

Old December 7th 05, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Gregory Blank wrote:

Or moved on to formulating their own.

I wonder, could another company make it or a substitute? Does anyone hold
the rights to it or have they expired as they are so old?

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old December 7th 05, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Peter Chant wrote:
Gregory Blank wrote:

Or moved on to formulating their own.

I wonder, could another company make it or a substitute? Does anyone hold
the rights to it or have they expired as they are so old?

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Rodinal always was crap. Good riddance!

Old December 7th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

The Photographers' Formulary has a version of the original, but they've
decided to stop production of their dry chemistry kit in favor of a liquid
mix. The new soup isn't on their shelves yet, but it will be soon. You can
still find the powder kits around; the product name is "Formulary
Paraminophenol Film Developer." B&H had some in stock as of last week.

www.photoformulary.com

-Lew

oups.com...

Old December 7th 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

William Mutch wrote:

In article .com,
says...

I noticed a few weeks back, B&H delisted rodinal on their website, and
they seemed to be the last of the big NYC photo shops to have it.
Anyone know of a reliable source? I'm in the NY/NJ area.

Freestyle claims to still have some.

Meanwhuile, you can try this.
700 ml water. Add 150 grams sodium sulfite and 14 grams of sodium
hydroxide. Red Devil lye will do. When the solids are dissolved, bring
the volume up to 1 liter with water, put the solution in a 1 liter
storage container and add 40 grams of p-aminophenol (not the
hydrochloride), shake well and serve. Use it as Rodinal.

There will be some precipitate. This is the "few remaining crystals" of
the standard recipe and is the protection aginst aerial oxidation. Of
course, you don't believe me, but try it anyway.

Old December 7th 05, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

To what end? Rodinal is crap!

PATRICK GAINER wrote:
William Mutch wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Old December 8th 05, 09:52 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

crap or no crap: for those who still want a replacement: Calbe 09 (old
brand) now made by ADOX, APH09. Said to be based on the pre WWII Rodinal
formula. Maybe crap, but for some kind of photography I like it. Seems even
to respect the film's speed (what could not be said about Rodinal). I
developed late Agfa APX and Kodak Tri-X in it. But, I must admit, I liked
APX much better in Acutol, but that's personal taste, istn't it, and de
gustibus...

Jan

"UC" schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old December 8th 05, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Right, Acutol trounces Rodinal...

Jan T wrote:
crap or no crap: for those who still want a replacement: Calbe 09 (old
brand) now made by ADOX, APH09. Said to be based on the pre WWII Rodinal
formula. Maybe crap, but for some kind of photography I like it. Seems even
to respect the film's speed (what could not be said about Rodinal). I
developed late Agfa APX and Kodak Tri-X in it. But, I must admit, I liked
APX much better in Acutol, but that's personal taste, istn't it, and de
gustibus...

Jan

"UC" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
| To what end? Rodinal is crap!
|

| PATRICK GAINER wrote:
| William Mutch wrote:
|
| In article .com,
| says...
|

| I noticed a few weeks back, B&H delisted rodinal on their website, and
| they seemed to be the last of the big NYC photo shops to have it.
| Anyone know of a reliable source? I'm in the NY/NJ area.
|

| Freestyle claims to still have some.
|

| Meanwhuile, you can try this.
| 700 ml water. Add 150 grams sodium sulfite and 14 grams of sodium
| hydroxide. Red Devil lye will do. When the solids are dissolved, bring
| the volume up to 1 liter with water, put the solution in a 1 liter
| storage container and add 40 grams of p-aminophenol (not the
| hydrochloride), shake well and serve. Use it as Rodinal.
|
| There will be some precipitate. This is the "few remaining crystals" of
| the standard recipe and is the protection aginst aerial oxidation. Of
| course, you don't believe me, but try it anyway.

Tonality -- Rodinal, Xtol, Mic-X, others ... Lloyd Erlick In The Darkroom 17 April 15th 05 02:28 AM
Tonality -- Rodinal, Xtol, Mic-X, others ... Lloyd Erlick In The Darkroom 0 April 5th 05 05:06 PM
Rodinal Hektor Gonzal In The Darkroom 67 April 7th 04 03:32 PM
Rodinal Alparslan In The Darkroom 14 April 3rd 04 10:23 PM
Suggested development times for 400TX in Rodinal? jjs In The Darkroom 0 January 24th 04 01:13 AM