D70 with Nikon 80-200mm F2.8

Old November 6th 05, 10:47 AM
John Stolz

Default D70 with Nikon 80-200mm F2.8

I have a D70 with a variety of lenses of which my favorite is the 80-200
mm f2.8. I had a mind to upgrade it to the twin collar version for the
tripod mount and the faster focusing.

I've bid on several on Ebay, but not been successful - there is one
there now (on www.ebay.co.uk, #7558713280), but the seller says its not
compatible with a D70 - anyone think of a reason why not?
Old November 6th 05, 11:19 AM
Jeroen Wenting

"John Stolz" wrote in message
I have a D70 with a variety of lenses of which my favorite is the 80-200 mm
f2.8. I had a mind to upgrade it to the twin collar version for the tripod
mount and the faster focusing.

I've bid on several on Ebay, but not been successful - there is one there
now (on www.ebay.co.uk, #7558713280), but the seller says its not
compatible with a D70 - anyone think of a reason why not?

Uninformed seller... Unless the lens is broken causing the D-chip to
malfunction in which case you don't want it.

Any lens that has a D-chip should work fully with your D70, and lenses that
don't will still function as long as you don't use some of the metering
modes (check your camera manual for full details).

Old November 6th 05, 11:26 AM
Floyd Davidson

John Stolz wrote:
I have a D70 with a variety of lenses of which my favorite is the 80-200
mm f2.8. I had a mind to upgrade it to the twin collar version for the
tripod mount and the faster focusing.

I've bid on several on Ebay, but not been successful - there is one
there now (on www.ebay.co.uk, #7558713280), but the seller says its not
compatible with a D70 - anyone think of a reason why not?

The seller does *not* say it is incompatible with a D70. He just
says that it does not work with the dSLR that he bought. He may
have bought a Pentax dSLR, for example.

Whatever, that one looks almost identical to the one that I
have. Except I cannot find a serial number anywhere on mine,
and the name tag is slightly different.

I would ask the seller for a better picture, and something to
verify that it is in fact the ED model, because the differences
that I can see on the name tag suggest that it is not. The
first line on the name tag appears to say "Nikon xxxxxx" where
the "xxxxxx" part is unreadable but might be the serial number.
On mine that line says "Nikon ED". The second line appears to
be the same on both, "AF Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D", and the third
line in small print says "made in Japan".

I can't tell what that top line actually says, but it most certainly
is not the same "Nikon ED" that is on my lense. Given that there are
many versions of the 80-200mm f/2.8 lens, and the ED version carries
a premium price, I would want to see proof positive of which model
that is before bidding.

--
FloydL. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old November 6th 05, 11:43 AM
Joan

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
There seem to be 3 x 80-200 models.

--
Joan

Old November 6th 05, 12:41 PM
John Stolz

Floyd Davidson wrote:
John Stolz wrote:

I have a D70 with a variety of lenses of which my favorite is the 80-200
mm f2.8. I had a mind to upgrade it to the twin collar version for the
tripod mount and the faster focusing.

I've bid on several on Ebay, but not been successful - there is one
there now (on www.ebay.co.uk, #7558713280), but the seller says its not
compatible with a D70 - anyone think of a reason why not?

The seller does *not* say it is incompatible with a D70. He just
says that it does not work with the dSLR that he bought. He may
have bought a Pentax dSLR, for example.

True, but I asked him and he says its not compatible with his D70.
Old November 6th 05, 01:04 PM
Floyd Davidson

John Stolz wrote:
Floyd Davidson wrote:
The seller does *not* say it is incompatible with a D70. He
just
says that it does not work with the dSLR that he bought. He may
have bought a Pentax dSLR, for example.

True, but I asked him and he says its not compatible with his D70.

I think that might be one to let pass... ;-)

First, it probably is not the ED that he says it is, and if it
won't work with his D70 is must be defective.

Old November 6th 05, 01:10 PM
John Stolz

Floyd Davidson wrote:
John Stolz wrote:

Floyd Davidson wrote:

The seller does *not* say it is incompatible with a D70. He
just
says that it does not work with the dSLR that he bought. He may
have bought a Pentax dSLR, for example.

True, but I asked him and he says its not compatible with his D70.

I think that might be one to let pass... ;-)

First, it probably is not the ED that he says it is, and if it
won't work with his D70 is must be defective.

Hmm, I thinbk you might be right - although the serial number is correct
for an ED - maybe something wrong with the chip
Old November 6th 05, 01:26 PM
[BnH]

Unless the D chip is broken [which is not a problem unless you do lots of
flash photography] , just grab this lens.

I think the seller might buy another mount type DSLR hence he can't use this
lens on it.

ps: if that lens has no fault, it worked perfectly on my friend D70 , my D1H
and S2 Pro.

=bob=

Old November 6th 05, 02:10 PM
John Stolz

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Floyd Davidson wrote:

True, but I asked him and he says its not compatible with his D70.

I think that might be one to let pass... ;-)

I agree with you 100% on this! Plus, the chances of him paying too much
for this lens is extremely high.

First, it probably is not the ED that he says it is, and if it
won't work with his D70 is must be defective.

It's an ED and probably the second or third generation. The first
generation had the single ring slide that did zoom and focus. The later
revisions had two separate rings. As others have pointed out it should
work with the D70 if the metering chip isn't fried. Don't walk away
from this one, RUN AWAY as fast as you can.

Sure I have a one-touch version already, but want the two touch for its
faster focusing and tripod collar

A pointer for you when buying on eBay is to always search out newly
listed improperly priced "Buy It Now" auctions. The auction you are
looking at far exceeded the value of the lens. You should be able to
nail a low priced BIN on that model lens since the market is
oversaturated with them. Don't get caught up in a bidding war. Good luck.

Actually the cureent price is on the low side - these usually go for
around GBP500 - I've bid on a number already, but not got lucky
Old November 6th 05, 02:45 PM
Peter McKenzie

I have tried this on my D70 and it worked perfectly. But - the weight!! I
get good results with my 70-300 ED f4-5.6. Best results I get when I avoid
full telephoto and wide open. Its blissfully light and AF is surprisingly
fast. Remember 300 is 450 in digital money (well the currency the D70
uses!).

Be careful with polarising filters -focussing rotates the end of this lens.
Peter