Online purchase joys: part 1 of x

Old January 14th 06, 09:47 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Online purchase joys: part 1 of x

Hi folks,

I have just received a delivery from a well known online photographic
equipment vendor of a 2nd hand camera (Nikon N90s). This camera arrived in
a state I feel is incongruent with its its advertised state (see link
below). As it was packed very well and suffered no damage in transit, it
had to have been picked from stock in its current condition. This is a
worry and I am hoping it was a simple error on the part of the vendor. This
is Part 1 of what I hope will be a very short and happy story. I have
contacted the vendor with my concerns (11 Jan '06) and am awaiting their
response.

Right now I am interested in your feedback on its condition using the
vendor's own rating system. If you have a moment, please go here - it will
take only a few seconds of your time: http://tinyurl.com/a3m3d

After this vendor has responded, depending on their response, their
identity, the full story and all correspondence will be made available
online for your viewing pleasure (and perhaps future purchase decision
making). At this stage, this will be contained to the following online
newsgroups:

- aus.photo
- rec.photo.equipment.35mm
- rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

If you have a chance to click the link (here again:
http://tinyurl.com/a3m3d) and choose your own rating, I would be very
grateful.

Regards,
David E (Sydney)
PS. I posted a version of this yesterday but I understand it got lost
somewhere by my news provider. My apologies if this is a repeat. :-|

Old January 15th 06, 12:35 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:47:04 +1100, "Dave E" wrote:

PS. I posted a version of this yesterday but I understand it got lost
somewhere by my news provider. My apologies if this is a repeat. :-|

No dupe here :-)

Have taken a look at your pix and cast my vote (with comment). Good
luck with the vendor. Hopefully it's just a shipping mix-up at their
end (?? errrm ??).

Oh - BTW..... I note you're not running a poll on the condition of
this body shown on your site:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~deldridg/images/020727%20PNG/DSCN0297.JPG

Nice look..... hehehe

DJ! - OzDJ

http://phlog.net/user/OzDJ
Old January 15th 06, 03:20 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Dave E wrote:
[...]

You didn't offer their rating system, so I don't know what sort of "rating"
you're expecting.
-But from the look of this camera body's condition, I'd say it's a hop and a
step shy of the trash bin.
If they indicated that it's even in "operable condition" it would be
misleading at best.

Old January 15th 06, 04:36 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

MarkČ wrote:

Dave E wrote:

[...]

If it's otherwise functional, it would fit a certain Atlanta GA dealer's
rating system as UGLY. They might even rate it BARGIN, noting the
eyepiece is missing.

OTOH, if it's not what you expected, and you did get it from that
Atlanta, GA dealer, they've got a good reputation for satisfying the
customer, including returns for refunds.
Old January 15th 06, 05:41 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"DJ!" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:47:04 +1100, "Dave E" wrote:

PS. I posted a version of this yesterday but I understand it got lost
somewhere by my news provider. My apologies if this is a repeat. :-|

No dupe here :-)

Have taken a look at your pix and cast my vote (with comment). Good
luck with the vendor. Hopefully it's just a shipping mix-up at their
end (?? errrm ??).

Oh - BTW..... I note you're not running a poll on the condition of
this body shown on your site:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~deldridg/images/020727%20PNG/DSCN0297.JPG

Nice look..... hehehe

Hehe - instant red face here! There I was working my ass off in the middle
of PNG some years ago and my colleague had to snap me. Actually I recall
being quite sick at that time - some kind of nasty local flu, but I had to
slog on - my lens lust requires oodles of cash! :-)

(Quickly checking the rest of the files... ) hehe

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)

DJ! - OzDJ

http://phlog.net/user/OzDJ

Old January 15th 06, 05:43 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Dave E wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark (squared!),

actually that is their own rating system. They rated it an E for
excellent - should have been E for Excrement (thanks Alx...).

-But from the look of this camera body's condition, I'd say it's a hop and
a step shy of the trash bin.
If they indicated that it's even in "operable condition" it would be
misleading at best.

Not a great experience so far. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)

Old January 15th 06, 06:51 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Dave E wrote:
"DJ!" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Dave,

By PNG, do you mean Papua New Guinea??

I met my wife there, and lived in a tiny jungle village for a month while
visiting my brother.
I've spent time in Madang, Ukarumpa, Vanimo, and the jungles of the Sepik
River Valley.
Also came down with two separate bouts of very serious malaria there...

If that's what you meant...what were you there for?
-Mark

Old January 15th 06, 06:53 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Dave E wrote:
[...]

E for excellent is about as wrong as it gets.
They owe you either a different camera...or a full refund, including
shipping.
When they ship you the wrong camera, and do not have a replacement, then
shipping should be their responsibility, since you wouldn't have bought it
in the first place, had they been truthful/accurate.
-Mark

Old January 15th 06, 08:15 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

snip

Hi Dave,

By PNG, do you mean Papua New Guinea??

I met my wife there, and lived in a tiny jungle village for a month while
visiting my brother.
I've spent time in Madang, Ukarumpa, Vanimo, and the jungles of the Sepik
River Valley.
Also came down with two separate bouts of very serious malaria there...

If that's what you meant...what were you there for?
-Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, indeed as you say. At the time I was doing some consulting work with
Ok Tedi in Tabubil. Over 2 years I spent a total of 3 months there in 2
week stints. Moresby, despite being very dangerous and quite filthy had a
certain something about it to me - perhaps that's why I love the 3rd world
and travel there extensively - mostly in Asia. The Bomana war cemetery was
also quite moving and quite beautiful.

The tiny jungle village sounds amazing. I also have to ask, what were you
doing there? I'm sure you have some interesting stories (as I would like to
say I have...). Amazing place to meet your wife too I must say.

I certainly hope you had your camera gear with you. At the time I'd put my
photography aside for a while but would love to go back and do some serious
shooting.

Cheers,
Dave E
(where a = deldridg, b = ozemail, c = com, d = au)

Old January 15th 06, 09:40 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Dave E wrote:
[...]

I only spent two days in Morseby as my first stop...spending most of my time
sleeping--after a horrific flight schedule getting over there from
California.

The tiny jungle village sounds amazing. I also have to ask, what
were you doing there?

My brother & his wife were doing literacy work out of a tiny village caled
Epmi.
It was deeeep in the jungle. -You got there by flying a single engine plane
onto a grass landing strip...then hiking about an hour through muddy trails
and streams. I spent two weeks living in a hut...hacking through the jungle
with machetes (you literally couldn't get through a large percentage of it
without one)...crawling through caves (really)...and being eaten by
mosquitos...leading to malaria. I had a 108 degree fever at one point
(should have killed me...which perhaps explains my seemingly brain-damaged
posts here from time to time), but that didn't really hit me until after I
returned home to the US.

Being born and living my younger years in Colombia, S. America...with the
drug lords, gorilla fighters and coffee beans...my stay in PNG wasn't quite
as shocking as it might have been to some...but it was definitely an
experience normally reserved for the movies. Among my few pictures are
shots of myself crawling through dark caves beneath the jungle floor,
complete with bones and stalactites...crossing rivers. I saw a bird of
paradise after hiking (hacking) though the jungle for two days following a
local tribesman...got bitten by a wild pig...helped build a hut...slept in
the rain...
In Madang (where I met my Californian wife-to-be), I went SCUBA diving 112
feet deep--with glass-clear visibility to the surface...only to run out of
air bottom with a faulty regulator. -Drove accross half the island through
the mountain regions with the brother...while his wife flew--so as to avoid
the very real threat of road bandits...who have a habit of standing in the
middle of the dirt road with a shot-gun pointed at you...demanding your
goods and raping your women. It's sort of like the old westerns...only
worse.

So ya...it was an experience.

I'm sure you have some interesting stories (as
I would like to say I have...). Amazing place to meet your wife too
I must say.
I certainly hope you had your camera gear with you.

Sadly, my equipment was damaged, and I was literally heartbroken.

I have some images, but mostly just those taken with an ill-suited
point-and-shoot.

At the time I'd
put my photography aside for a while but would love to go back and do
some serious shooting.

I'm sure I'll go back someday. It's a bit farther to travel for me, though.

-Mark