Thinking of Our British Friends

Old July 7th 05, 04:51 PM
Walt Hanks

Default Thinking of Our British Friends

I just wanted to express my concern for our British friends. I hope none
were affected by today's terrorist attacks. It would be good if you could
check in and let us know you're OK.

--
Walt Hanks

Old July 7th 05, 06:59 PM
Tony Polson

"Walt Hanks" wrote:

I just wanted to express my concern for our British friends. I hope none
were affected by today's terrorist attacks. It would be good if you could
check in and let us know you're OK.

Thanks Walt.

We're all affected by it, whether we were involved or not. Our
thoughts are with the injured, and with the families of the bereaved.

There could be no doubt an attack on Britain was coming ever since the
UK helped the US invade Iraq. It was a question of where and when.

As long as the UK is involved in Iraq, it won't be the last.

Old July 7th 05, 07:00 PM
Owamanga

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:51:44 -0400, "Walt Hanks"
wrote:

I just wanted to express my concern for our British friends. I hope none
were affected by today's terrorist attacks. It would be good if you could
check in and let us know you're OK.

Nice sentiment, unfortunately everyone is affected in some way.

BTW, If anyone is interested in how deranged some people are, you
should take a quick look at what the looooonies in the conspiracy
NG's are claiming.

I don't think anyone has yet blamed Rudolph Giuliani, who was both in
NY during 9/11 and only a few yards away from the first blast in
London today. Spooky eh?

My wife shares the same pattern - she arrived at London Heathrow at
around 9:00am this morning, and me, I am always the other side of the
pond, currently in Florida but when 9/11 happened I had just arrived
in London. She gets the terrorists, I get the hurricanes.

I did experience problems with the London Cellular networks being
jammed this morning, but ultimately discovered (at around lunchtime)
that no matter what the situation, mobile phones simply won't work
when they are switched off....

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
Old July 7th 05, 07:06 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Walt Hanks
writes
I just wanted to express my concern for our British friends. I hope none
were affected by today's terrorist attacks. It would be good if you could
check in and let us know you're OK.

Thanks, Walt. I guess we have a long history of such things, though of
course it would be wrong to say you get used to it. The experience of
history is it just makes us more determined.

David
--
David Littlewood

London
Old July 7th 05, 07:09 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Owamanga
writes

I did experience problems with the London Cellular networks being
jammed this morning, but ultimately discovered (at around lunchtime)
that no matter what the situation, mobile phones simply won't work
when they are switched off....

There is a supposition around here that the mobile networks were
switched off immediately the atrocities became clear. ISTR that some or
all of the Madrid train bombs were triggered by mobile phones. Don't
have any authoritative source for this though.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old July 7th 05, 07:42 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:00:04 GMT, Owamanga
wrote:

I don't think anyone has yet blamed Rudolph Giuliani, who was both in
NY during 9/11 and only a few yards away from the first blast in
London today. Spooky eh?

My wife shares the same pattern - she arrived at London Heathrow at
around 9:00am this morning [...]

Uh-oh. Have you ever seen her and Rudy in the same room?

(Also sad and mad about London, despite flippancy.)

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old July 7th 05, 07:51 PM
Canongirly

"Walt Hanks" wrote in message
I just wanted to express my concern for our British friends. I hope none
were affected by today's terrorist attacks. It would be good if you could
check in and let us know you're OK.

--
Walt Hanks

Thanks Walt....one day all these extremeist will realise that if the
Luftwaffe couldn't break our resolve, nor the IRA, then they haven't got a
hope.

Old July 7th 05, 07:53 PM

Tony Polson wrote:
"Walt Hanks" wrote:

I just wanted to express my concern for our British friends. I hope none
were affected by today's terrorist attacks. It would be good if you could
check in and let us know you're OK.

Thanks Walt.

We're all affected by it, whether we were involved or not. Our
thoughts are with the injured, and with the families of the bereaved.

There could be no doubt an attack on Britain was coming ever since the
UK helped the US invade Iraq. It was a question of where and when.

I agree. And I remember in the period just before the elections I was
tormented by the concern that one might've been eminent like the
Spanish pre-election explosions. I almost started a thread lately
wondering why one hadn't happened yet, but thinking that I would've
started it with a big *touch wood* gesture I thought I'd better shut
up, and just hope nothing ever happens, so as not to invite bad fortune
(no, i'm not usually superstitious, but still!). I think I thought that
it probably was because the Tories seemed a less appealing electoral
choice, apparently not just for British voters but for nearly everyone
on the planet, friends and foes alike! How hopelessly unelectable!

Those Al Qaeda guys are incredible in their timing - I wonder if they
take an artful craft in it; just the day after being selected to host
the olympics they blast the city, or in the words of Xinhua on Google
News "Britons taste bliss, shock in just one day"- (as well as the G8
thing in the UK right now which is politically significant). I've
always thought 9/11/2001 as a choice of date was incredibly cunning to
make a terror statement - 911 is the phone number one would dial in the
US for emergency, On September 11, 1941 construction officially began
at the Pentagon, and it was also the exact anniversary of President
Bush the elder's 1990 Gulf War Speech to Congress in which he outlined
the US position in the Kuwait crisis, and the preliminary steps the US
was taking towards the Gulf War, which was a major bone of contention
for Al Qaeda against the US, and there's more to it too.

Goddammit it's disgusting. I was in town all day and met quite a few
friendly people, many of whom for the first time, and to think that one
in their approximate likeness of looks, personality or culture might've
been killed bothers me to no limit. It makes feel quite a personal
affront.

As long as the UK is involved in Iraq, it won't be the last.

Old July 7th 05, 08:05 PM

David Littlewood wrote:
In article , Walt Hanks
writes
I just wanted to express my concern for our British friends. I hope none
were affected by today's terrorist attacks. It would be good if you could
check in and let us know you're OK.

Thanks, Walt. I guess we have a long history of such things, though of
course it would be wrong to say you get used to it. The experience of
history is it just makes us more determined.

David
--
David Littlewood

London

Are today's attacks the worst that ever happened? I've always had the
trepidation that an Al Qaeda attack may outnumber all previous stuff.
The numbers today of those killed, 33, doesn't sound as bad as what I
had expected if one happened, hundreds, (33 is perhaps less than that
anti-gay terrorist single-handedly killed in Soho, in a string of
attacks, a few years ago) but considering that there's a 1,000 injured
I worry that it may climb up rapidly.

Old July 7th 05, 08:20 PM
David J Taylor

David Littlewood wrote:
[]
There is a supposition around here that the mobile networks were
switched off immediately the atrocities became clear. ISTR that some
or all of the Madrid train bombs were triggered by mobile phones.
Don't have any authoritative source for this though.

The BBC reported that emergency services were given priority.

(Sorry for my OT post, I don't normally do this).

Your thoughts will be appreciated by the friends and families of all those
concerned. Thanks.

David