200 - 960mm zoom!

Old December 17th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

Default 200 - 960mm zoom!

While I'm waiting for things to heat up here in Edmonton, I dug through some
of my old 35mm EOS stuff. In the bag is my old 75 - 300mm zoom lens, and my
2X converter. With the crop factor of the XSi, this lens / converter combo
should work like a (roughly) 100 - 480mm lens times 2, or a 200 - 960mm
super zoom.

While this combo isn't going to be easy for me to aim, I think I'll be able
to make out enough in the LCD in low-light conditions to use it. Sure, I'm
not going to get any action shots, but it should yield some interesting
prints...

Take Care,
Dudley

Old December 18th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA[_3_]

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
While I'm waiting for things to heat up here in Edmonton, I dug through
some of my old 35mm EOS stuff. In the bag is my old 75 - 300mm zoom lens,
and my 2X converter. With the crop factor of the XSi, this lens /
converter combo should work like a (roughly) 100 - 480mm lens times 2, or
a 200 - 960mm super zoom.

While this combo isn't going to be easy for me to aim, I think I'll be
able to make out enough in the LCD in low-light conditions to use it.
Sure, I'm not going to get any action shots, but it should yield some
interesting prints...

Take Care,
Dudley

Might want to check and see if that 2x thing really offers any more true
detail over the unconverted zoom, or if the images the combo produces will
just be a joke.

Old December 18th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

"RichA" wrote in message

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
While I'm waiting for things to heat up here in Edmonton, I dug through
some of my old 35mm EOS stuff. In the bag is my old 75 - 300mm zoom
lens, and my 2X converter. With the crop factor of the XSi, this lens /
converter combo should work like a (roughly) 100 - 480mm lens times 2, or
a 200 - 960mm super zoom.

While this combo isn't going to be easy for me to aim, I think I'll be
able to make out enough in the LCD in low-light conditions to use it.
Sure, I'm not going to get any action shots, but it should yield some
interesting prints...

Take Care,
Dudley

Might want to check and see if that 2x thing really offers any more true
detail over the unconverted zoom, or if the images the combo produces
will just be a joke.

It's actually a pretty good one. I used it quite a bit with my A2 for
outside shots. The aperture on the long end of the lens is 5.6, so it gets
a bit dark with the converter when viewed through the viewfinder. But, I'm
hoping the Live View will brighten that up a bit.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old December 18th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dudley Hanks[_2_]

wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:48:03 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:20:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "Dudley
Hanks" wrote:
using the slow focus mode on the xsi.

Yeah, it wouldn't AF in most situations with the A2. Although, on a
bright
day at the beach (or ski slope) with a fairly high contrast subject the
AF
would kick in and work.

FWIW, I believe the Canon prosumer dslrs are programmed to disable the AF
for greater than f/8 unless using a TC which doesn't communicate the
change

==============^
Sorry, that should haver been greater than f/5.6

Yeah, I wasn't anticipating being able to use the AF system with the
teleconverter, just hoping the Live View would brighten up the view, which
it does.

I plopped the lens / converter combo onto the camera this afternoon and
played with it a bit, and it seemed to work fairly well. But, there's only
so much you can do to test out a lens like that without going outside --
especially when your neighbour's live close and are rather suspicious.
(wouldn't want to be seen poking a long lens out the window too often...)

Once it warms up a bit, I'll take it out to a park and see how it works.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old December 19th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Hanks" wrote:
[...]

I would think the live view (contrast?) autofocus should work even at
f/11 600mm. Hmm, testing on my live view with f/8 560mm the live view
mode AF doesn't keep up with conventional AF.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net