Polaroid monochrome slide film...dead as dinoaurs?

Old October 7th 04, 08:04 AM
Richard H. Weiner

Default Polaroid monochrome slide film...dead as dinoaurs?

I know that Polaroid had a real bad stint there (and they are not out of
the woods yet) and so they started dropping products left and right. The
one thing I really wanted to try out was their slide film...in
particular the monochromatic stock (can't remember the name at the
moment) but it looks like that got dropped a few years back, at least
here in North America.

Does anyone in the world know if this slide film still exists and, more
importantly, if there are still rolls of it for sale?

Much appreciated,
Richard
Old October 8th 04, 12:25 AM
Gordon Moat

"Richard H. Weiner" wrote:

I know that Polaroid had a real bad stint there (and they are not out of
the woods yet) and so they started dropping products left and right. The
one thing I really wanted to try out was their slide film...in
particular the monochromatic stock (can't remember the name at the
moment) but it looks like that got dropped a few years back, at least
here in North America.

Does anyone in the world know if this slide film still exists and, more
importantly, if there are still rolls of it for sale?

Much appreciated,
Richard

It shows up sometimes on EBAY. The other thing that is needed is the
Polaroid hand crank processor. I tried these films a few years ago, and I
really could not find any reason to continue using any of them.

B/W slide film can be had by getting AGFA Scala, or using some films with
reversal kits, like Kodak TMax 100. Another option is DR5, though check
their film recommendations first. http://www.dr5.com

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old October 8th 04, 02:46 AM
Richard H. Weiner

Gordon Moat wrote:
"Richard H. Weiner" wrote:
Does anyone in the world know if this slide film still exists and, more
importantly, if there are still rolls of it for sale?

It shows up sometimes on EBAY. The other thing that is needed is the
Polaroid hand crank processor.

I hadn't thought of looking on eBay. I would suppose that anything from
that route would be outdated and suspect.

So, this film is not being produced at all?...even in Europe?

I knew that Polaroid (North America) dropped this film and that any
remaining stock sold out by the time I got to thinking about it. But I
had hoped that the Europeans would keep it alive.

But given that other established film producers are culling or dropping
lines I guess I'm SOL.

I tried these films a few years ago, and I
really could not find any reason to continue using any of them.

....Curiousity mostly. I had heard of this slide film and even managed to
snag the hardware to process it at bargain basement prices. Little
wonder! Now I've got the equipment but no film to put into it. Bugger.

It was earlier, a few years ago, that I came across some interesting
images on this film and I liked the fact that it would be very
contrasty...I had muted lighting figure studies in mind.

Plus this was before digital really took off so this film was the next
best thing to 'instant results'.

I know of Scala and have seen some slides projected with it but I
understand it's very expensive and needs to go to a lab in Toronto (I'm
in the Vancouver, BC area) to get processed.

I've not read much about reversals and don't do my own developing. I
really should into bulk B&W print film / developing though as I've heard
it's probably the simplest and I'd be scanning the negs away. But it
would have to be able to do without a darkroom.

But back to this Polaroid film...
So I guess that the answer is no to both questions. Oh well, it's worth
trying.

Thanks for the reply.
Richard
Old October 8th 04, 07:29 AM
Jim Phelps

"Richard H. Weiner" wrote in message

So, this film is not being produced at all?...even in Europe?

I knew that Polaroid (North America) dropped this film and that any
remaining stock sold out by the time I got to thinking about it. But I had
hoped that the Europeans would keep it alive.

I have not seen this film offered for sale in Europe, so I guess dead as
doornails.

Old October 8th 04, 08:11 AM
Gordon Moat

"Richard H. Weiner" wrote:

Gordon Moat wrote:
"Richard H. Weiner" wrote:
Does anyone in the world know if this slide film still exists and, more
importantly, if there are still rolls of it for sale?

It shows up sometimes on EBAY. The other thing that is needed is the
Polaroid hand crank processor.

I hadn't thought of looking on eBay. I would suppose that anything from
that route would be outdated and suspect.

So, this film is not being produced at all?...even in Europe?

I knew that Polaroid (North America) dropped this film and that any
remaining stock sold out by the time I got to thinking about it. But I
had hoped that the Europeans would keep it alive.

The note from Polaroid is that they stopped producing these films at the end
of 2002. You might still find a few on EBAY, though they might be close to
expiration date. If you find B/W Polaroid instant 35 mm films, they might be
okay at least one year after expiration, though possibly needing a change in
exposure.

But given that other established film producers are culling or dropping
lines I guess I'm SOL.

I tried these films a few years ago, and I
really could not find any reason to continue using any of them.

...Curiousity mostly. I had heard of this slide film and even managed to
snag the hardware to process it at bargain basement prices. Little
wonder! Now I've got the equipment but no film to put into it. Bugger.

It was earlier, a few years ago, that I came across some interesting
images on this film and I liked the fact that it would be very
contrasty...I had muted lighting figure studies in mind.

I remember a few interesting images showing up in P magazine, though it has
been at least a year since I have seen any of this stuff. There are other
B/W films that can produce similar results, especially through a place like
DR5.

Plus this was before digital really took off so this film was the next
best thing to 'instant results'.

It really was not that much faster than doing E-6 on location, or in the
kitchen. I did not think it was much easier than E-6, but I have never tried
doing my own B/W reversal processing. If you want B/W slides, without using
a copy system (negative photographed with a negative film gives a positive).

I know of Scala and have seen some slides projected with it but I
understand it's very expensive and needs to go to a lab in Toronto (I'm
in the Vancouver, BC area) to get processed.

Not a great price, but unique results.

I've not read much about reversals and don't do my own developing. I
really should into bulk B&W print film / developing though as I've heard
it's probably the simplest and I'd be scanning the negs away. But it
would have to be able to do without a darkroom.

Some places will not ship the reversal chemicals, so you might want to check
locally.

But back to this Polaroid film...
So I guess that the answer is no to both questions. Oh well, it's worth
trying.

If you already have the processing machine, then try to find a little of the
film from EBAY. Nothing wrong with experimenting.

Thanks for the reply.
Richard

Glad to be of help.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old October 9th 04, 07:30 AM
Richard H. Weiner

Gordon Moat wrote:

You might still find a few on EBAY, though they might be close to
expiration date. If you find B/W Polaroid instant 35 mm films, they might be
okay at least one year after expiration, though possibly needing a change in
exposure.

Just did a check on eBay...how does 1994 sound to you?
haha!

The guy selling the film says that he's still getting good results from
it. I don't think it's worth it though.

Now I think I have a new doorstop or museum piece with the processor.
Damn.

Oh well.
Richard
Old October 10th 04, 02:15 AM
Gordon Moat

"Richard H. Weiner" wrote:

Gordon Moat wrote:

You might still find a few on EBAY, though they might be close to
expiration date. If you find B/W Polaroid instant 35 mm films, they might be
okay at least one year after expiration, though possibly needing a change in
exposure.

Just did a check on eBay...how does 1994 sound to you?
haha!

Ten years old film . . . it might still work okay. Just to be safe, I would
probably add a stop of exposure. Actually, I am not sure about the chemical
composition of the Polaroid film, though normal B/W film should be okay even
after ten years of ageing.

The guy selling the film says that he's still getting good results from
it. I don't think it's worth it though.

If the price was low enough, including shipping, it might be an interesting
experiment.

Now I think I have a new doorstop or museum piece with the processor.
Damn.

Maybe you could use the processor to do normal B/W. I don't remember how well
that was made, though it might hold some chemicals, and give some interesting
results . . . though that would mean more experiments.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com