Nikon Coolpix L14: setting ISO

Old December 12th 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Michael[_6_]

Default Nikon Coolpix L14: setting ISO

Does anyone know how to set (or even read what the camera sets) the ISO
on the Nikon Coolpix L14? The instruction manual is mute on this issue.
--
Michael

Old December 15th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"Michael" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to set (or even read what the camera sets) the ISO on
the Nikon Coolpix L14? The instruction manual is mute on this issue.

I don't have that particular Coolpix, but on one of my older models that
happens to be right at hand: you have to go into the menu system, scroll
down to the "Sensitivity" item, move over to the right and select the ISO
you want from the available choices. I presume your L14 has some similar
arrangement.

If the camera's on Auto ISO (the default) it doesn't tell what ISO it's
setting. You have to get that information later by software from the Exif
data. The only way to know what it's using when you're shooting is to set it
yourself -- except when you're using flash; then most small Coolpixes in my
experience set the ISO at 200.

Neil

Old December 16th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Michael[_6_]

On 2007-12-15 13:28:43 -0500, "Neil Harrington" said:

"Michael" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to set (or even read what the camera sets) the ISO on
the Nikon Coolpix L14? The instruction manual is mute on this issue.

I don't have that particular Coolpix, but on one of my older models that
happens to be right at hand: you have to go into the menu system, scroll
down to the "Sensitivity" item, move over to the right and select the ISO
you want from the available choices. I presume your L14 has some similar
arrangement.

If the camera's on Auto ISO (the default) it doesn't tell what ISO it's
setting. You have to get that information later by software from the Exif
data. The only way to know what it's using when you're shooting is to set it
yourself -- except when you're using flash; then most small Coolpixes in my
experience set the ISO at 200.

Neil

There is no sensitivity item on any of the menus. The letters ISO
appear on the screen when it turns on but there is no way to find out
what it is set at or to set it. And the manual lists ISO in the index
but there is nothing on that page about it when you read it.
--
Michael

Old December 22nd 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Neil Harrington[_2_]

On 2007-12-15 13:28:43 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
said:

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Well, you're right. I just downloaded the L14 manual out of curiosity and
indeed there doesn't seem to be any way of setting the ISO. The same is true
of the L15 and L12 manuals, so apparently that's the way it is with the
whole L series. Really weird that "ISO" appears on the LCD monitor but seems
to have no use. Must be a holdover from some older Coolpix model.

I have quite a few Coolpixes in fact (but none in that series) and all of
mine do have provision for setting the ISO. So this is really strange. I
guess they decided that buyers of those cameras wouldn't ever want to tinker
with the ISO.

Neil

Old December 22nd 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Michael[_6_]

On 2007-12-15 13:28:43 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
said:

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

What's bizarre is there are so many other things you CAN tinker with,
including white balance settings up the YingYang, multiple scene modes,
flash choices, and exposure compensation, but no ISO choice. The print
manual implies you CAN because ISO is in the index, but not on the page
referred to.
--
Michael

Old December 23rd 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Neil Harrington[_2_]

On 2007-12-22 11:58:37 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
said:

Well, you're right. I just downloaded the L14 manual out of
curiosity and indeed there doesn't seem to be any way of setting the
ISO. The same is true of the L15 and L12 manuals, so apparently
that's the way it is with the whole L series. Really weird that
"ISO" appears on the LCD monitor but seems to have no use. Must be a
holdover from some older Coolpix model. I have quite a few Coolpixes in
fact (but none in that series) and
all of mine do have provision for setting the ISO. So this is really
strange. I guess they decided that buyers of those cameras wouldn't
ever want to tinker with the ISO.

Neil

What's bizarre is there are so many other things you CAN tinker with,
including white balance settings up the YingYang, multiple scene
modes, flash choices, and exposure compensation, but no ISO choice.

Yes, that struck me too when I was reading the manual. All those controls
but no ISO setting.

The print manual implies you CAN because ISO is in the index, but not
on the page referred to.

I saw that too. My guess is that they *originally* intended to provide an
ISO setting in the L series cameras, dropped it for some reason, but left
the reference to it in the manuals -- and then just kept repeating the
faulty reference in manual after manual. (The L15 manual seems about
identical to the one for L14, same page number for the nonexistent ISO
stuff. The L12 manual is somewhat different, the index gives a different
page number for ISO -- but there's nothing about ISO on that page either!)

I've just downloaded the L1 manual -- I presume that was the first model in
the series. There's no mention of ISO at all, not even in the index.

Now the L6 manual. Aha. That gives page 25 as a reference for ISO, but all
p. 25 has to say about it is this: "The ISO icon is displayed when the
camera increases sensitivity from the normal to minimize blur caused by slow
shutter speeds. The picture taken when the ISO icon is displayed may be
slightly mottled."

So I guess that's the answer. There isn't any ISO *setting*, only the icon
warning that the camera has boosted ISO because of low light. No clue as to
what it's boosted to. In the Specifications section it mentions ISO 50 and
"auto gain to ISO 800 equivalent" but nothing about intermediate levels, if
any.

Neil

Old December 24th 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Michael[_6_]

On 2007-12-22 11:58:37 -0500, "Neil Harrington"
said:

[...]

Well, I am not going to bitch about it. I am primarily a film
photographer and wanted a digital P&S for when that is handy, and the
options on the L14 at 7.1 megapixels for just over $100 at BJ's was too
good to turn down. And it is quite serviceable at office lunches and
birthday cakes and things like that, as well as having a grab camera at
all times. I'll stick to my Olympus OM2 and OM10, my Pentax 6x7 and
even my Minolta Vectis APS S-1 SLR for more artistic work.
--
Michael