Olympus FL-50 Battery Door

Old March 27th 05, 04:07 AM
Flavius

Default Olympus FL-50 Battery Door

Does anyone here know the proper procedure to remove, without breaking,
the battery door on an Olympus FL-50 flash? Any help is greatly
appreciated, thanks!

JDR

Old March 27th 05, 05:45 PM
N H via PhotoKB.com

1. Hold the flash horizontally with the flash head in your left hand and
the base in your right hand, with battery door on top.
2. Holding the base of the flash in your right hand, place your right thumb
on battery door.
3. While gently pressing down on battery door, slide to right about 1/4" (5-
6 mm).
The door should pop open slightly due to the pressure of the battery
springs.
4. Gently lift the door up on its hinges so that it is 90 degrees
perpendicular to the flash.
5. Remove batteries, replace. etc.

I've never had any problem with mine.

Old March 28th 05, 04:15 AM
Flavius

Sorry you did not understand the question. I guess my post was not clear.
Please allow me to clarify it.
The object is NOT to *OPEN* the battery door, it is to *** REMOVE *** the
battery door. Without breaking it!
The owners manual says nothing about how to remove the door. A service or
repair manual does not appear to be available on the manufacturers website.
REMOVAL is necessary for the installation of a Quantum MKZ3 battery
replacement module and cord. This will take the place of the ****-ant AAs
and allow me to run the flash on my 4.5 amp hour Jacobs Pack. (1500+ flashes
per charge, with MANY recharge cycles available) (Sealed Lead Acid battery).

JDR

"N H via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
1. Hold the flash horizontally with the flash head in your left hand and
the base in your right hand, with battery door on top.
2. Holding the base of the snipage

Old March 28th 05, 03:26 PM
Lourens Smak

In article t,
"Flavius" wrote:

REMOVAL is necessary for the installation of a Quantum MKZ3 battery
replacement module and cord. This will take the place of the ****-ant AAs
and allow me to run the flash on my 4.5 amp hour Jacobs Pack. (1500+ flashes
per charge, with MANY recharge cycles available) (Sealed Lead Acid battery).

Olympus has it's own high-voltage (Ni-Mh) pack for that... maybe they
want you to buy that one. ;-)

The connector for the Olympus HV pack is on the front of the flash just
above the shoe. There's a rubber cap in it with the Olympus Logo. Maybe
you can find out the input values, and adapt your battery to this
connector?

Or simply put the Quantum + Jacobs on ebay and order the Oly kit. That
sucks, I know, but in the end it may be the most comfortable solution to
work with.

http://www.olympus-pro.com/index.eu.uk.html
- products
- flash systems

Lourens
Old March 28th 05, 05:16 PM
Flavius

Thanks for the reply!

Actually my Jacobs battery pack works so well with my other flashes
that I'll be keeping it. It works GREAT with the Oly. FL-50 too. I just have
to leave the battery door flapping in the wind (annoying). Perhaps the
Velcro solution will help. I'll also explore the connection pin outs, maybe
that will help. Seems like there would be simple way to replace the door
though, since it is obviously something that could easily break. The Oly
SHV-1 high voltage battery pack is just way to many $$s and just does NOT
measure up performance wise.

JDR

Old March 30th 05, 10:18 PM
Patrick L

"Flavius" wrote in message
k.net...
Does anyone here know the proper procedure to remove, without breaking,
the battery door on an Olympus FL-50 flash? Any help is greatly
appreciated, thanks!

JDR

I use a QB1+ with a module, and I just let the door hang open.
It won't come off, you got to live with it.

However, I've switched to NimH rechargeables, they are just about as quick
and so much less of hassle, not having to deal with the cord.

Patrick