Darkroom Sink OK to Fiberglass over Primer, +Paint or Bare Wood?

Old March 13th 04, 05:37 AM
SofaKing

Default Darkroom Sink OK to Fiberglass over Primer, +Paint or Bare Wood?

Sink's built. I'm about to line it with fiberglass cloth and two-part epoxy
resin. I built the box with 3/4" G1S Fir plywood. (an 8' X 28" sink in case
you're wondering, as per "Building Your Darkroom" Lista Duren & Will
McDonald, 1990). Duren's book doesn't have any info on using fiberglass
however. If I go fiberglass resin w/cloth on bare wood there should be no
problem right? Or should I prime the whole thing with oil base primer
with/or without oil-based paint? If I do paint it will I be able to see the
color through the fiberglass? Can Fiberglass resin be top-coated with paint?
Thx. And thanks to all those who gave me practical advice on the colour of
the darkroom question too. Many good points. Incidentally Orange is the best
colour to wear with Dektol. Orange is the new Black this year.

Old March 13th 04, 03:24 PM
dp

"SofaKing" wrote in message news:7ew4c.789381$X%5.349676@pd7tw2no...
Sink's built. I'm about to line it with fiberglass cloth and two-part epoxy
resin. I built the box with 3/4" G1S Fir plywood. (an 8' X 28" sink in case
you're wondering, as per "Building Your Darkroom" Lista Duren & Will
McDonald, 1990). Duren's book doesn't have any info on using fiberglass
however. If I go fiberglass resin w/cloth on bare wood there should be no
problem right? Or should I prime the whole thing with oil base primer
with/or without oil-based paint? If I do paint it will I be able to see the
color through the fiberglass? Can Fiberglass resin be top-coated with paint?
Thx. And thanks to all those who gave me practical advice on the colour of
the darkroom question too. Many good points. Incidentally Orange is the best
colour to wear with Dektol. Orange is the new Black this year.

I've spoken to other older darkroom workers about fiberglassed sinks.
They always said that they had to do maintenance to the sink at some
point, like re-applying resin, etc, because either the sink started
leaking or the cloth started separating from the wood.

I took this information to heart as I built my own first sink.
Instead of using Fiberglass, I used a product called 'Gluvit' which is
a marine epoxy. I purchased it at a marine supply store - I don't
think you can find it anywhere else. I don't remember how I came upon
this product, but it has served me well. The current sink I am using
now was built about 5 years ago. No leaks at all. And for the past 2
and half years, it's been getting very regular use by the people who
rent my darkroom.

When I coated the sink, I just went for a natural look, mainly because
I didn't know any better. I think the next one I might build (if the
current one ever does leak) would be to mix gray paint into the epoxy
or paint it gray first and then epoxy over it.

One thing I would do differently would be to use a plastic or pvc
drain fixture. The metal one I installed is rusting.

Hope this helps.

dp
Old March 13th 04, 03:38 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"SofaKing" wrote

Sink's built. I'm about to line it with fiberglass cloth and two-part epoxy
resin. .... Duren's book doesn't have any info on using fiberglass
however. ... should I prime the whole thing with oil base primer
with/or without oil-based paint? Can Fiberglass resin be top-coated with paint?

Don't know about sinks, but do know a bit about boats. Epoxy/glass over wood
is a standard do-it-yourself boat construction technique.

The epoxy is applied to bare wood using a thin penetrating formulation.
No need to paint afterwards, unless you want a boot stripe or to paint
your sink's name on the transom^H^H^Hsplashboard.

Lots of information on the boat building sites. The 'standard' epoxy
is "West", their site has tons of info/tutorials/etc.:

http://www.westsystem.com/

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old March 13th 04, 06:26 PM
f/256

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
news
"SofaKing" wrote

Lots of information on the boat building sites. The 'standard' epoxy
is "West", their site has tons of info/tutorials/etc.:

http://www.westsystem.com/

I second the West System suggestion, I made my sink out of MDF, epoxy was
used to bond the MDF, fillets on the corners and then 3 coats of epoxy, I
didn't use fiberglass but with fiberglass it'd be even better. Their epoxy
can be colored, they sell white and grey tints (black also I think), but you
could use some other products, too. Click on "Epoxy Works Magazine" and the
second last article is about a darkroom sink. Call them if you need, they
are very helpful.

Guillermo