[SI] General Announcement

Old October 24th 12, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David J. Littleboy

Default [SI] General Announcement

"Robert Coe" wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:59:23 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:
:
: "Noons" wrote:
:
: No way! Offshore his position right there and then!
:
:
: You called???

Did I just hear David volunteer for the job??

Only if you want projects like Joudoushinshu temples one week and Joudoushu
temples another, and fall foliage in what's either dead of winter or
withering summer heat for the rest of you...

-- David J. Littleboy
Out of phase with the world in more ways than one in
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 24th 12, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

PeterN wrote,on my timestamp of 24/10/2012 11:08 AM:

No way! Offshore his position right there!
(g,d&r)

Is there an Australian applicant?

(crickets)

Old October 25th 12, 01:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:16:46 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote:
: On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:59:23 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
: wrote:
: :
: : "Noons" wrote:
: :
: : No way! Offshore his position right there and then!
: :
: :
: : You called???
:
: Did I just hear David volunteer for the job??
:
:
: Only if you want projects like Joudoushinshu temples one week
: and Joudoushu temples another,

You'd be surprised at what looks to us like a Joudoushinshu temple.

: and fall foliage in what's either dead of winter or withering
: summer heat for the rest of you...

You don't have fall at the same time as the rest of the northern hemisphere?
How did you arrange that?

Bob
Old October 25th 12, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David J. Littleboy

wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote:
: On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:59:23 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
: wrote:
: :
: : "Noons" wrote:
: :
: : No way! Offshore his position right there and then!
: :
: :
: : You called???
:
: Did I just hear David volunteer for the job??
:
:
: Only if you want projects like Joudoushinshu temples one week
: and Joudoushu temples another,

You'd be surprised at what looks to us like a Joudoushinshu temple.

Hehe.

: and fall foliage in what's either dead of winter or withering
: summer heat for the rest of you...

You don't have fall at the same time as the rest of the northern hemisphere?
How did you arrange that?

The Tokyo Ginkgo trees turn in late Nov/early Dec, so there's foliage to
shoot here long after foliage old news in New England.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 25th 12, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank S

wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote:
: On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:59:23 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"

: wrote:
: :
: : "Noons" wrote:
: :
[...]

My Geographical Biology professor put forth the Ginkgo as an example of
a relict.

--
Frank ess

Old October 26th 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:06:15 -0700, "Frank S" wrote:
:
: "David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote:
: On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:16:46 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
:
: wrote:
: :
: : "Robert Coe" wrote:
: : On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:59:23 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
:
: : wrote:
: : :
: : : "Noons" wrote:
: : :
[...]

A what??

Bob
Old October 26th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank S

:
: "Robert Coe" wrote:
: On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:16:46 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
:
: wrote:
: :
: : "Robert Coe" wrote:
: : On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:59:23 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
:
: : wrote:
: : :
: : :

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/relict?s=t

Old October 26th 12, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:19:15 -0700, "Frank S" wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote in message
: ...
: On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:06:15 -0700, "Frank S"
: wrote:
: :
: : "David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: :
: : "Robert Coe" wrote:
: : On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:16:46 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
: :
: : wrote:
: : :
: : : "Robert Coe" wrote:
: : : On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:59:23 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
: :
: : : wrote:
: : : :
: : : : "Noons" wrote:
: : : :
[...]

Got it! Like a film camera. Or film itself. ;^)

But just to be argumentative, and to stay up a few more minutes, what kind of
word is "ginkgo"? It appears to violate my understanding of Japanese
phonological rules. (Specifically, I'd expect a (voiced) "i" or "u" between
the "k" and the "g". Or I'd expect the word to be spelled "ginkon" or
"gingon".)

That said, I freely admit that my knowledge of Japanese borders on
infinitesimal.

Bob
Old October 26th 12, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-10-25 19:50:11 -0700, Robert Coe said:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 19:19:15 -0700, "Frank S" wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote in message
: ...
: On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:06:15 -0700, "Frank S"
: :
: : "Robert Coe" wrote:
: : On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:16:46 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
: :
: : wrote:
: : :
: : : "Robert Coe" wrote:
: : : On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:59:23 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
: :
: : : wrote:
: : : :
: : : : "Noons" wrote:
: : : :
[...]

I always thought the proper response to tsunami was gesundheit.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David J. Littleboy

"Robert Coe" wrote:
: :
[...]

You are quite right: the English word is quite dizzy: the middle "g" there
should be a "y".

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ginkgo

But even that is a mistake: the actual Japanese word for that tree is
pronounced itcho. The nuts of the tree are pronounced "ginnan" and written
with exactly the same Chinese characters as the name of the tree. The
Japanese make a point of doing perverse things with Chinese characters to
keep in their place folks who make the mistake of trying to learn Japanese
as a second language.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan