CNet Reviews FZ7 vs Canon S3

Old May 7th 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default CNet Reviews FZ7 vs Canon S3

measekite wrote:
[]
One of the things that I do not like about any of the DSLR cameras
today is the inability to get dust off of the sensor which I
understand is unavoidable.

The Olympus E-330 and other models in the range have a dust-removal
feature...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/

David

Old May 7th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

I have a S2IS and my daughter has a FZ5, and the Canon has much, much better
super macro mode, and produces nicer skin tones. The tilt screen is great
too. Other than that, Panasonic is much more compact and nicer, and gives at
least as sharp pics as the Canon. Don't know about those new models, but
think they don't differ very much, they are more like upgrades than brand
new models anyway.
/per

"measekite" skrev i meddelandet
I have just read reviews on Cnet where the Panasonic FZ7 was rated at 7.2
and the Canon S3 was rated much higher at 7.7.

Based (I have not seen the S3) on my observation of the Canon S2 and the
Panasonic FZ5, I found that the Canon focused much slower and other than
the movies and the swivel screen did not provide any advantages. As a
matter of fact I preferred the FZ5 and now am planning to purchase an FZ7
summer time.

I am curious as to why Cnet rated the Canon much higher. Any comments?

Old May 8th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

David J Taylor wrote:

measekite wrote:
[]

One of the things that I do not like about any of the DSLR cameras
today is the inability to get dust off of the sensor which I
understand is unavoidable.

The Olympus E-330 and other models in the range have a dust-removal
feature...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/

David

I have heard of that but my preferences are Canon or Nikon systems. I
am not sure how effective it is. If so I would assume that both Canon
and Nikon would plan models having that feature.

Old May 8th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

per wrote:
I have a S2IS and my daughter has a FZ5, and the Canon has much, much
better super macro mode, and produces nicer skin tones. The tilt
screen is great too. Other than that, Panasonic is much more compact
and nicer, and gives at least as sharp pics as the Canon. Don't know
about those new models, but think they don't differ very much, they
are more like upgrades than brand new models anyway.
/per

I was not convinced about the S2-IS and the so-called super macro mode. I
mean, how may times would you wish to place something on the les surface
to photograph it? To me, it seemed to be a gimmick. Having a working
distance of zero complicates lighting somewhat.

One thing I found useful on the FZ5 is the ability to run macro at the
long end of the zoom range - you get about a 90mm wide field at a working
distance of 90cm (IIRC) and that longer working distance can be very
handy. Does the Canon allow that?

I would agree that a swivel LCD would be a worthy improvement on the
Panasonic.

David

Old May 8th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

David J Taylor wrote:

per wrote:
I have a S2IS and my daughter has a FZ5, and the Canon has much, much
better super macro mode, and produces nicer skin tones. The tilt
screen is great too. Other than that, Panasonic is much more compact
and nicer, and gives at least as sharp pics as the Canon. Don't know
about those new models, but think they don't differ very much, they
are more like upgrades than brand new models anyway.
/per

I was not convinced about the S2-IS and the so-called super macro mode. I
mean, how may times would you wish to place something on the les surface
to photograph it? To me, it seemed to be a gimmick. Having a working
distance of zero complicates lighting somewhat.

You don't want to put something on the lens surface, but you do want to be
able to get very close for some purposes.

The tele macro feature on the FZ7 is lovely, it works remarkably well, but
there are shots I can get with a Coolpix 990 that I can't get with the FZ
simply because the 990 can achieve a higher magnification.

I was not aware before of the super macro capability on the S2-IS and
S3-IS--looks like they take over from the Coolpix 9xx as the macro kings of
the point and shoot world.

One thing I found useful on the FZ5 is the ability to run macro at the
long end of the zoom range - you get about a 90mm wide field at a working
distance of 90cm (IIRC) and that longer working distance can be very
handy. Does the Canon allow that?

According to the data sheet it can focus to 3 feet in tele mode, which is
about the same as the FZ7 does in tele-macro mode, so it does appear to be
able to do the same thing there.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old May 22nd 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

David J Taylor wrote on 5th May

When I compared the Canon S2 and the Panasonic FZ5 in my hands, I had no
doubt which one I preferred (the Panasonic) and it turns out to produce
better images as well. I have been delighted with the camera. Try to get
the chance to compare the handling in the shop - it's an important
factor - as (for some people) might be the swivel viewfinder of the Canon.

I recently bought the Panasonic FZ5 when my Fuji 2800 developed
mechanical problems. The FZ5 has taken me by surprise. It's a terrific
little camera; It feels good just to hold it and has impressed me right
from my first shots. I look forward to many happy hours trying out
it's many features, especially the tele-macro.

Regards
Pete