travel photographer - feedback on new site?

Old February 9th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
T.Heslenfeld

Default travel photographer - feedback on new site?

Hi,

Just switchted to a newly designed website - both the looks and feels of my
old website
have been finetuned. Curious to find out what visitors think, especially
about:

A the navigation;
B the colors of the images;
C anything special you might notice.

Tnx in advance

thijsatthijsheslenfelddotcom
www.thijsheslenfeld.com

Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
Download de gratis SPAMfighter vandaag nog!

Old February 9th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phil Stripling

In article , T.Heslenfeld wrote:

A the navigation;
B the colors of the images;
C anything special you might notice.

The pages load fast, which I consider a principle rule. The navigation
between galleries is obvious, but the picture selection is just a
little less obvious. The rectangle is not obviously an indicator, and
the photo that pops up on the main page of, say, "still" isn't the
first image in the thumbnails. Clicking on an arrow is fairly obvious,
but there's no clear indication of where in the line of thumbs I am,
and although the rectangle tells me, I don't look at it, since I don't
know what it's for. Hence, I don't know when I've looked at the large
copies of all the thumbnails.

Return visitors will figure it out, I'm sure, but it's better to have
first-time visitors understand how to see all the images so that they
become return visitors.

Overall, a good site.

Old February 9th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allan Sheppard

Hi Thijs,
You have a great site with first rate pictures. I am very envious of
the locations you have been to.
You have certainly covered most of the world and had the right weather
for the location.

I thought that the main picture displayed was a bit on the small side
and the gap between the menu bar and the picture was too big.
Have you kept the picture small to minimise people copying it?

My monitor is run at 1280 x 1024 which may influence my impression.

Great site

Cheers,
Allan

Old February 9th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:59:49 +0100, "T.Heslenfeld"
officeatoostwestthijsbestdotnl wrote:

[snip]
A the navigation;
B the colors of the images;
C anything special you might notice.
www.thijsheslenfeld.com

I like it. Used IE7 on WinXP Pro SP2.

The use of the mouse-wheel to scroll through your vertical thumbnails
seems to be broken. Some mods with JS, ActiveX or PHP I guess.

For the horizontal navbar, "Home" starts with a capitalised letter
but the other items start with a lowercase letter. I think that
"home" might look better.

I'm not sure that I like the dashed border on the "selected"
thumbnail. How about a big think white/yellow/grey border? Not sure
on the colour. All about experimentation!

Would it help if your main photos were bigger? Although I can
understand the concern of fitting them into a small browser window.

Hope that helps. Great photos BTW!

PS - I know my own site has issues!

--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

Website : www.metalvortex.com
Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

Brain! Brain! What is brain?!
Old February 9th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:59:49 +0100, T.Heslenfeld wrote:

www.thijsheslenfeld.com

I'd be more impressed if it validated at www.w3c.org. It fails miserably.

Old February 10th 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
William4

Tnx in advance

thijsatthijsheslenfelddotcom
www.thijsheslenfeld.com

I think you have some really good images in the collection, but what is with
the 'x-mas'. You've brought out my soap box now, do write it out in full;
it is not that you are short of space for the caption. 'x' should really be
a shortened 'trans' anyway and even the Americans don't attempt to hyphenate
it.

Old February 10th 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Allan Sheppard exclaimed (10-Feb-07 4:53 AM):

[...]

Agreed. I run my monitor at 1600x1200, and the thumbnails are so small
I can't make out what many of them are.

Otherwise, nice site, nice pics.

jmc
Old February 10th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mardon

jmc wrote:

Agreed. I run my monitor at 1600x1200, and the thumbnails are so small
I can't make out what many of them are.

I use 1920x1200 and I agree that the thumbs images are very small. I guess
that's the 'price' of protecting images from theft. Great photos!
Old February 10th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default [OT] icon size (was: travel photographer - feedback on new site?0

Mardon wrote:
jmc wrote:

Agreed. I run my monitor at 1600x1200, and the thumbnails are so small
I can't make out what many of them are.

I use 1920x1200 and I agree that the thumbs images are very small. I guess
that's the 'price' of protecting images from theft. Great photos!

Curious- What sizes can you set icons on a PC? On a Mac, it's currently
limited to 128 x128.

--
John McWilliams
Old February 10th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default [OT] icon size

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:59:20 -0800, in rec.photo.digital John McWilliams
wrote:

Mardon wrote:
jmc wrote:

Agreed. I run my monitor at 1600x1200, and the thumbnails are so small
I can't make out what many of them are.
I use 1920x1200 and I agree that the thumbs images are very small. I guess
that's the 'price' of protecting images from theft. Great photos!

Curious- What sizes can you set icons on a PC? On a Mac, it's currently
limited to 128 x128.

What do allowable OS icon sizes have to do with thumbnails presented inside
of a web browser?

To answer your question wrt XP:

Nothing. Thanks for the link.

--