6 Megapixels vs 8

Old August 15th 05, 03:37 AM
David P. Summers

Default 6 Megapixels vs 8

I went and looked at the Nikon D50 and the Canon Rebel XT. The view
finder ont he Nikon was better. On the Nikon I could tell if the picture
was in focus easier and it took more care to manually focus with the
Canon (at first I thought I couldn't focus it all, but it turned out
part of that was that I needed to adjust the diopter setting). I know
I'll be manually focuses most of the time, but I will want to check the
autofocus, if I have time, and there may be few cases were I need to
manually focus. Now clearly this is subjective, but the trade-off is
versus the 6 Megapixels for the Nikon vis-a-vis 8 on the Canon. So....

I've not had a lot of experience (looking at pictures from friend is
all) with pictures of that resolution. How significant do most people
think having 8 megapixels is?

Old August 15th 05, 03:42 AM
Jeremy Nixon

David P. Summers wrote:

I've not had a lot of experience (looking at pictures from friend is
all) with pictures of that resolution. How significant do most people
think having 8 megapixels is?

Versus 6... only slightly. I'd make the decision on other factors.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 15th 05, 04:16 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Brian Baird
wrote:

It's going to be most significant if you print over 8x10. 6 megapixels
is going to struggle a little at that size, 8 megapixels can cover it
without comment.

Bull****!

My 10D goes to 16x20 easily and, if use a tripod and take care in
creating the image - to 20x24.

But, given the choice between 6 & 8 with all other factors being
equal...I'd go with the 8.
Old August 15th 05, 04:32 AM
Bill Hilton

David Summers writes ...

How significant do most people think having 8 megapixels is?

I have a 6 Mpix camera (Canon 10D) and an 8 Mpix camera (Canon 1D Mark
II) and if printed 12x18" or larger it's clear the 8 Mpix image is
better for images shot with the same lenses. For 8x10's or smaller it
probably doesn't matter (so long as you don't have to crop).

How much of this is due to 6 vs 8 Mpix and how much can be attributed
to a $1,500 consumer camera vs a $4,500 professional camera with a
generation later software and different pixel pitch is open for debate,
but all things being equal, for large prints you're better off with the
added pixels.

Bill

Old August 15th 05, 05:21 AM
Mr. Mark

I've not had a lot of experience (looking at pictures from friend is
all) with pictures of that resolution. How significant do most people
think having 8 megapixels is?

I'd make the decision based on which camera feels best to you.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old August 15th 05, 05:23 AM
Neal

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 02:37:18 GMT, "David P. Summers"
wrote:

at the same image quality, each dimension of your picture can go
2/(3^.5) times bigger = 2/1.73 = 15% bigger.

so you can make 8x10, or you can make 9.2x11.5
Old August 15th 05, 05:24 AM
Toa

I'd make the decision based on which camera feels best to you.
Mark

chuckle

Very benevolent of you g

Toa