Pro opinion, Canon versus Nikon

Old September 5th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Pro opinion, Canon versus Nikon

On Sep 5, 3:23 pm, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
"David Ruether" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]
What has been your experience with the pro Canon models? Wedding
photogs need not apply since their profession isn't exactly demanding
on pro bodies as say nature or sports might be.

????!!
Did you ever try shooting a wedding outdoors in a pouring rain?
Did you ever try to catch those exit shots after the reception or
ceremony in an ice-storm or blizzard with sub-zero temperatures?
Did you ever shoot in a church so gawd-awful hot and humid
that sweat poured down into your eyes and down your arms and
onto the camera? Did you ever try to juggle multiple bodies and
lenses while having to make REALLY FAST switches? Have
you ever had your camera run over by a car at a night reception,
or dropped lenses multiple times while switching them - or had
the body and lens fall face down in the mud while your attention
was momentarily elsewhere? And, if you have two bodies strung
around your neck, try running to catch "a moment" without
having gear crashing together. Also, try shooting 1-2 thousand
images every weekend and see how long lesser gear holds up.
(I have experienced only some of this, and a wedding
photographer friend has experienced the rest...)
--
David Ruether

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether

Let's face it, Rich has never done professional weddings.

Actually, I have because I was asked, but I would never go looking to
do it as a profession. However, I realize that wedding photography
as a business dwarfs most other photographic professions in-terms of
business "size."

Old September 5th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

On Sep 5, 9:12 am, RichA wrote:
What has been your experience with the pro Canon models? Wedding
photogs need not apply since their profession isn't exactly demanding
on pro bodies as say nature or sports might be.

Personally, I would rather face an enraged tiger than the mother of a
bride.

I cannot imagine why anyone would think that wedding photography is
not demanding on pro bodies, or on their cameras, either. :-)

Old September 5th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

I couldn't make my mind up... I bought a Pentax. I'm still having problems
chhosing between Aperture and Lightroom ;-)

Took me a while to work out what Lightroom could do for me, pretty much
can't live without it now.

Old September 5th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Let's face it, Rich has never done professional weddings.

Give him a break --- he might have married once or twice, and
it might even have been professional.

-Wolfgang
Old September 5th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

RichA wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:38 am, Wolfgang Weisselberg
RichA wrote:

A friend of mine was

It is remarkable how second-handed your "experience" and
"knowledge" is.

talking to a pro

Or third-handed.

So, many of these people he knows

Or fourth-handed.

What has been your experience with the pro Canon models?

Let me ask you, since you are such a well of information on
all things Canon and plastic and Nikon and all:

Have *you* any experience with any Canon model? Personally?

Have *you* any experience with any Nikon model? Personally?

Thought so.

-Wolfgang
Old September 5th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:49:29 -0400, Frank "Rocky" Arthur wrote:

A friend of a friend of mine was listening to the pro talking to a
friend of yours and decided not to buy Canon nor Nikon. Instead, he
would buy a hammer and chisel and do it the 'ole way : Carve his
memories out of rocks. They last longer and all that mess about
pixels and sensors are done with. Simply look at the Greek statues
dating back thousands of years and tell me about Canon and Nikon
durability...
Marcel

Right on! I left my Nikon behind and I always carry a camera bag full
of chisels and a hammer. When I see a scene I quickly carve what I see.

Why didn't I think of carrying chisels and a hammer. And all the
while I've been wasting my time (and everyone else's) bitching and
moaning about the unavailability of 8"x12" rocks. I wish I could
solve my problems as easily as you can.

Unfortunately I developed a hernia while turning the pages of my
stone album.

You're too old for that. Time to switch to 4"x6" rocks or even
subminiatures chiseled on kidney stones.

Old September 6th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

RichA wrote:
A friend of mine was
It is remarkable how second-handed your "experience" and
"knowledge" is.
talking to a pro
Or third-handed.
So, many of these people he knows
Or fourth-handed.

What has been your experience with the pro Canon models?

Let me ask you, since you are such a well of information on
all things Canon and plastic and Nikon and all:

Have *you* any experience with any Canon model? Personally?

Just the XTi and the 20 and 30Ds and 5D.

Have *you* any experience with any Nikon model? Personally?

Just the D40, D50, D80 and D200.

Old September 6th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Sep 5, 3:44 pm, cjcampbell wrote:
On Sep 5, 9:12 am, RichA wrote:

What has been your experience with the pro Canon models? Wedding
photogs need not apply since their profession isn't exactly demanding
on pro bodies as say nature or sports might be.

Personally, I would rather face an enraged tiger than the mother of a
bride.

I cannot imagine why anyone would think that wedding photography is
not demanding on pro bodies, or on their cameras, either. :-)

When you see some poor photog, slogging it up a mountain with a 400mm
f2.8 wrapped in duct tape, or nearly getting or getting run over by a
running back, it's kind of hard to see a wedding photog as being in a
demanding situation.
But then anyone can hold their finger down on the shutter button,
firing off thousands of images in the hopes of getting one or two
really good ones. That does have an effect on shutter life.

Old September 6th 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gizmo.

ups.com...
wrote:
RichA wrote:
A friend of mine was

It is remarkable how second-handed your "experience" and
"knowledge" is.

talking to a pro

Or third-handed.

So, many of these people he knows

Or fourth-handed.

-Wolfgang

What has been your experience with the pro Canon models? Wedding
photogs need not apply since their profession isn't exactly demanding
on pro bodies as say nature or sports might be.

Ok I'll bite ... although God knows, you aren't worthy of my time.

I do sport photography, most specifically motorsports ... i.e bodies in
burst mode taking 1000+ images in a weekend is normal, dust everywhere,
sometimes wet weather conditions.
And to date, I've not had to return any bodies, lenses, kit to Canon for
repair or service.

I can only assume that you and your "friends" are either very unlucky, or
total ****wits. Although I suspect that in reality, you're just an unlucky
****wit with no life outside the front door - as repeatedly proven by your
inane postings on this NG.

Old September 6th 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gizmo.

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 5, 3:23 pm, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
"David Ruether" wrote in message

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]
[...]