Panasonic FZ10 Vs Fz15 What's the difference?

Old August 17th 04, 06:27 PM
swingman

Default Panasonic FZ10 Vs Fz15 What's the difference?

I've looked at the specifications for both of these cameras on =
Amazon.com and they are the same as far as I can tell, yet the FZ10 =
costs $64 more. Are there any differences between the FZ10 and FZ15 =
that would explain the cost discrepancy?
Old August 17th 04, 11:08 PM
Michael Meissner

"swingman" writes:

I've looked at the specifications for both of these cameras on Amazon.com and
they are the same as far as I can tell, yet the FZ10 costs $64 more. Are
there any differences between the FZ10 and FZ15 that would explain the cost
discrepancy?

The main difference is the FZ10 is the older model that you can get right now,
and the FZ15 is the newer model that will be available shortly, and has the new
suggest MSRP. Presumably Amazon is selling whatever existing stock they have,
but may be unlikely to get any more FZ10's after they run out.

There are 4 main differences off the top of my head:

1) The FZ10 has a flash hotshoe, and the FZ15 does not;
2) The FZ10 records movies with sounds, and the FZ15 does not;
3) The FZ15 has a newer, faster processor to speed things up.
4) The FZ15 is USA only, the FZ10 is available worldwide.

If you never plan on using an external flash and can wait a few weeks, get the
FZ15.

--
Michael Meissner
email:

Old August 17th 04, 11:22 PM
Clyde Torres

"swingman" wrote in message
I've looked at the specifications for both of these cameras on Amazon.com
and they are the same as far as I can tell, yet the FZ10 costs $64 more.
Are there any differences between the FZ10 and FZ15 that would explain the
cost discrepancy?

Swingman,

These cameras are super cameras and have great optics. Apart from some
obvious cosmetic differences in the body, the FZ3/15/20 cameras have the
Venus II engine, which is better than the Venus engine of the FZ10. The
latter is too noisy at the highest ISO number. The Venus II may have other
advantages. My opinion is that this is Panasonic's second cut on their ASIC
and have fixed some problems. These are the same problems that plague the
Leica Digilux 2 and Panasonic DMC-LC1, which arguably should have been the
best rangefinders on the market due to their superb lens.

You cannot go wrong with the FZ3/FZ10/FZ20. I have a Nikon D70 and to cut
back on bulk, I'm thinking about buying an FZ20. I am impressed with the
x12 zoom that holds f2.8 throughout the whole range, while producing superb
images.

Clyde Torres

Old August 18th 04, 02:17 AM
Swingman

[...]

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm aware that the FZ20 (5
megapixel) will become available in September (according to
amazon.com). All other things being equal it would be well
worth it to have the extra megapixel (compared with the
FZ10/15). Time to shake the piggy bank g.

Old August 19th 04, 12:32 AM
Rich Bair

swingman wrote:

I've looked at the specifications for both of these cameras on Amazon.com
and they are the same as far as I can tell, yet the FZ10 costs $64 more.
Are there any differences between the FZ10 and FZ15 that would explain the
cost discrepancy?

Also, the fz15 and 20 both have an AF assist lamp...I don't think you'll
find this on the fz10. In addition, I think the 15 and 20 add TIFF as a
file format. This is from memory so you'd better double-check.

I've been looking very closely at the 10, 15 and 20. I was hoping the 10
would drop in price as the 15 and 20 come out!