I'm no photog, but I just gotta know

Old March 22nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default I'm no photog, but I just gotta know

On which side of the ground glass is an image focused onto- The side facing
the cameras innards or the side facing my stupid mug?

Old March 22nd 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Curious George spake thus:

On which side of the ground glass is an image focused onto- The side facing
the cameras innards or the side facing my stupid mug?

Innards. Focused image don't wanna see your (or our) ugly mug.

The ground side faces the lens.

Easy way to remember (maybe) is that the inside of the glass, the ground
side, is in the same exact place the film will be when you load it.

--
Second, Scientologists are like computers trying to run an emulation
of another computer. It can be done, but the performance is awful.

- Keith Henson, from alt.religion.scientology
Old March 22nd 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Curious George spake thus:

On which side of the ground glass is an image focused onto- The side
facing the cameras innards or the side facing my stupid mug?

Innards. Focused image don't wanna see your (or our) ugly mug.

The ground side faces the lens.

Easy way to remember (maybe) is that the inside of the glass, the ground
side, is in the same exact place the film will be when you load it.

Actually it will form an image faced either way and it depends on the
camera design which way it faces. Usually it's towards the lens but not
always. It's been a long time but I think my super graphic has the ground
side facing outwards with the fresnel lens behind it.
--

Stacey
Old March 22nd 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article ,
"Curious George" wrote:

On which side of the ground glass is an image focused onto- The side facing
the cameras innards or the side facing my stupid mug?

Side facing the camera's innards. Better known as the focal plane.
--
The things we hate most in life often turn out to be a mirror image
of ourselves. Better not to hate.

Findmedirectly - "infoatgregblankphoto.com"
Old March 22nd 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Curious George" wrote in message
On which side of the ground glass is an image focused onto- The side
facing
the cameras innards or the side facing my stupid mug?

Inside to middle of the glass. You LF people know that you can focus an
aerial image on either side, right?

Old March 22nd 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Curious George" wrote in message
On which side of the ground glass is an image focused onto- The side
facing the cameras innards or the side facing my stupid mug?

It depends on the camera. Some face the frosted side to the lens, some
away.

What sort of camera is it?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old March 22nd 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

"Curious George" wrote in message

On which side of the ground glass is an image focused onto- The
side facing the cameras innards or the side facing my stupid mug?

It depends on the camera. Some face the frosted side to the lens, some
away.

So what cameras use this backwards arrangement (ground side facing out)?
I'm assuming that it's easier to design a camera which uses the glass
the "right way" (facing lens), as one needn't take the thickness of the
glass into account, just make sure the inside of the glass is at the
same place as the film when the holder is inserted.

Old March 22nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

So what cameras use this backwards arrangement (ground side facing out)?

None.

Old March 23rd 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

"Curious George" wrote in message

On which side of the ground glass is an image focused onto- The
side facing the cameras innards or the side facing my stupid mug?

It depends on the camera. Some face the frosted side to the lens, some
away.

So what cameras use this backwards arrangement (ground side facing out)?
I'm assuming that it's easier to design a camera which uses the glass
the "right way" (facing lens), as one needn't take the thickness of the
glass into account, just make sure the inside of the glass is at the
same place as the film when the holder is inserted.

If, hypothetically, I was designing such a beast I wouldn't rely on the
glass thickness for register: I'd just design the GG holder so that the
glass was fitted from the other side. ie. the reference surface for the
screen would still be the side was that was ground, and that, whichever side
it was, would be the side that was referenced to the film plane.

Peter

Old March 23rd 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Bandicoot spake thus:

[...]

Well, OK; that would work, but it raises the question: *why* would
anyone make a camera that way? Just to be ornery?