Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

Old September 3rd 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sachin Garg[_2_]

Default Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Sachin Garg
wrote:

Sounds great. No Mac port though? Lots of photographers use Mac's you
know.

Rawzor's code is fairly portable but I don't have a Mac yet, and they
don't
come cheap :-)

sure they do. get a mac mini, which is more than capable for what you
need to do. for even less money, keep an eye on the refurb section of
the apple store (especially in the next month or so as new models are
introduced and the previous model is sold off on clearance) or hit up
ebay for a used one.

I plan to try running osx in vmware after I upgrade my laptop, will get a
mini if that doesn't work.

SG

Old September 3rd 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Sachin Garg
wrote:

I plan to try running osx in vmware after I upgrade my laptop, will get a
mini if that doesn't work.

vmware only supports osx *server*, which costs more than a mini does.
i'm not sure how strictly it's enforced (running osx client in a
virtual machine is an eula violation), but it's not likley to 'just
work' out of the box. keep in mind, a mac mini or a macbook can run
windows, either dual boot or in vmware, as well as linux too. in any
event, if your code compiles in gcc, there should be very few problems
on a mac, if any, for a basic command line tool.
Old September 3rd 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Sachin Garg wrote:
ackup as well if I thought that would streamline anything...).

Rawzor and dng solve different problems. Rawzor is more about preserving the
original raw format while saving space, dng has a different goal. If you
prefer dng, so be it.

The twin goals of DNG are preserving the raw data and reducing the file
space. And it does.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 4th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:22:28 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Alan Browne

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:35:22 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Alan
Browne wrote:

The twin goals of DNG are preserving the raw data and reducing the file
space. And it does.
Not 100% unless you choose to save the original raw file inside the dng.

To be clear.

DNG _losslessly_ takes the already slightly compressed raw from the
camera and compresses it in size a further 10 - 20% (Maxxum 7D MRW).

And to be even clearer, one can NOT recover the original raw FILE unless
one embeds it and then it's larger than the original file to begin with.
While this may not be important to you, it might be for others.

First of all, the way you wrote your sentence above made it sound like
the image was not 100% lossless unless saved w/o compression.

As to the "the original raw file" ... Fair enough. However, as DNG
becomes more and more standard, it will become the raw container of
choice IMO, even if one can't go back to the pure, original camera raw file.

The requirement for most is to have that intact image for an editing
program such as photoshop, paintbrush, Gimp, etc.; all of which read
DNG. (
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/supporters.html )

I suppose some might want to keep their , eg, NEF files intact to go
back to a Nikon processing s/w of some kind, but I don't believe OEM s/w
will be the preferred s/w for most photographers in any case.

All my raw is now saved as DNG. And that's that ... and it takes 10 -
20% less space as well.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 4th 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bugbear

Sachin Garg wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message
Sachin Garg wrote:
Rawzor and dng solve different problems. Rawzor is more about preserving
the original raw format while saving space, dng has a different goal. If
you prefer dng, so be it.

How does rawzor compare with simple running pkzip, gzip, bzip2
on the original raw file?

Simply put, much better than zip, bz2, rar, 7z etc...

On Rawzor homepage, click to expand the results graph.

Do you have figures for the other competitors; I only
see (rather old) zip as a comparison.

BugBear
Old September 4th 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sachin Garg[_2_]

"bugbear" wrote in message
et...
Sachin Garg wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message
Sachin Garg wrote:
Rawzor and dng solve different problems. Rawzor is more about
preserving the original raw format while saving space, dng has a
different goal. If you prefer dng, so be it.
How does rawzor compare with simple running pkzip, gzip, bzip2
on the original raw file?

Simply put, much better than zip, bz2, rar, 7z etc...

On Rawzor homepage, click to expand the results graph.

Do you have figures for the other competitors; I only
see (rather old) zip as a comparison.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to compress a small of photos with
rawzor and either of 7z/bz2/rar and compare sizes. The results aren't much
different.

I wanted to add atleast one more compressor to the graph but it became too
cramped up due to large no of raw formats. And when choosing only one, zip
seemed like a better choice due to its popularity (7z's format isn't nearly
as popular as others, average windows users don't know bz2, and I have no
idea if winrar even works on mac).

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.rawzor.com

Old September 4th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
milsabords

Default Re : Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

"Sachin Garg" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
compression tool I was working on.

http://www.rawzor.com

We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
techy talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily
usable GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).

For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
compression tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the
camera models, getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw
format.

I have also published a nice little graph of space saving achieved by
Rawzor on all the different raw formats, and as requested I have also
added a supported cameras list.

The core is still more or less the same as previous preview release (just
a few minor speed improvements). If you were using the previous
command-line builds, this version maintains full compatibility with files
created with them.

For the developers, there is an SDK available to support Rawzor compressed
files directly in applications. Format details are available on request
(will be published soon).

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

Hi,

I tried it on a dozen of RAW from a Panasonic FZ 18 ... the compressed files
have exactly the same size as the originals.

Old September 4th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sachin Garg[_2_]

"milsabords" wrote in message
[...]

Its probably because Rawzor supports very few Panasonic formats. Do the
'compressed' files have the .rwz extension? I ask because Rawzor just copies
files that it can't compress, so that destination folder always has all the
data even if Rawzor couldn't compress some of it.

If you can you send me 1-2 sample images I can try to add support for your
camera in next revision (you can just email me if they are smaller than
20MB, or if they are larger you can either send by rapidshare/yousendit or
send me an email and I will send you an ftp login where you can upload
them).

Thanks for trying and my apologies that I missed your format :-)

Old September 4th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sachin Garg[_2_]

"HapHazzard" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:04:39 +0530, "Sachin Garg"
wrote:

"Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
news

news Sachin Garg wrote:

I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
compression tool I was working on.

http://www.rawzor.com

We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
techy
talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily
usable
GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).

For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
compression
tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera
models,
getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

looks at Nikon list D40, D40X but not D60?

Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the
list).

It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also
help
if
you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp
login
details).

I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case
it
had inadvertently been left out.

Thanks, I will try to get my hands on D60 samples and add it to list.

Let me know when you port it to Linux.

I have already ported the SDK to linux (not on website yet but available
on
request, still needs more testing). Will port the GUI too, hopefully soon.

Till then, maybe you can try running it with Wine, I haven't tried but it
just might work.

You can get RAW samples from many cameras at this RAW-samples archive.

http://www.rawsamples.ch/

Unfortunately I don't see any Nikon D60 there.

Someone needs to contribute an example for them. Many software developers
use
the files on that site to test their software. If you want your camera
supported
by any new programs or updates for older programs, make sure there's a
sample
from your camera there. Send them one.

I just finished downloading all the files there and it will definitely help
me add more format's support to Rawzor (and better test existing ones).

Thanks a ton for pointing this excellent resource.