Can holographic film replace Tech Pan 2415?

Old December 19th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
optics

Default Can holographic film replace Tech Pan 2415?

Seeking an alternative to the now defunct Kodak Tech Pan 2415 film, I
have been casting an eye on holographic film as a spossible substitute.

I would appreciate anyone's experience in working and/or testing this
type of film, re increasing sensitivity by various hypersensitization
methods, processing and control of its speed,
both as a general-use film and as a film for astrophotography. under
obviously low-light conditions.

I have the same questions about "gigabyte" film, of which I am even
more ignorant.

Thanks for any experience, thoughts or comments you may have,
Bernard.

Old December 21st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Ralph Page

"optics" wrote in message
ups.com...
Seeking an alternative to the now defunct Kodak Tech Pan 2415 film,
have been casting an eye on holographic film as a spossible
substitute.

Which holographic film did you have in mind?
Years ago I worked with Agfa Gevaert holographic film (10E75 on 4 by 5
glass plates). That stuff required about 20 ergs/square cm. for an ND
of 1. It was about the most sensitive holographic film available at
the time but it's been years since I have had any experience with
anything out there now. We used the film with a laser that put out
light in the red spectrum - 694 nm where 10E75 was designed to be
used.

I think the Technical Pan 2415 is about 10X more sensitive than that
from what I can glean from the data sheet.

I would appreciate anyone's experience in working and/or testing
this
type of film, re increasing sensitivity by various
hypersensitization
methods, processing and control of its speed,
both as a general-use film and as a film for astrophotography. under
obviously low-light conditions.

We didn't attempt to alter film sensitivity with developing
techinques, I'm not help in that department.

--
-Ralph Page
remove pants to reply by email

Old December 21st 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
optics

Ralph Page wrote:
"optics" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

..
Ralph:

I appreciated hearing from you.

I am only slightly acquainted with some of the specs of Kodak's
SO-253, which I believe may also be defunct, and thought that it-- and
possibly other films not familiar to me-- might have similar properties
to 2415. It seems almost inconceivable that this outstanding film has
no successor..

Regards,
Bernard

Old December 21st 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

"optics" wrote

It seems almost inconceivable that this outstanding film has
no successor..

One Mozart
One Beethoven
One Tech Pan
And they all died abandoned

Shoot Kodachrome for Christmas while you still can...

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old December 21st 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Michael Benveniste

"optics" wrote:

I am only slightly acquainted with some of the specs of Kodak's
SO-253, which I believe may also be defunct, and thought that it-- and
possibly other films not familiar to me-- might have similar properties
to 2415. It seems almost inconceivable that this outstanding film has
no successor..

Are you looking specifically for the extended red sensitivity of
Tech Pan, or just for an ultra-fine grain B&W film?

Your best remaining bet may be Adox/Efke 25, for which the specs
are available at:
http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?...on=Custom&ID=1

The same company also sees Kodak Imagelink film cut to
4x5" size, but it's my understanding it requires different
processing for general photography.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

Old December 21st 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article et,
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

Shoot Kodachrome for Christmas while you still can...

Really? Large format Kodachrome?

Old December 21st 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

wrote
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
Shoot Kodachrome for Christmas while you still can...

Really? Large format Kodachrome?

Got a bit carried away ... so put a 35mm back
on the Deardorf. LF Kodachrome did exist for
a short while.

Old December 21st 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Gregory Blank

In article et,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

"optics" wrote

It seems almost inconceivable that this outstanding film has
no successor..

One Mozart
One Beethoven
One Tech Pan
And they all died abandoned

Shoot Kodachrome for Christmas while you still can...

I am dreaming of a red biased Christmas,.....where even the snow appears
somewhat pink. May your film be scary not white....
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.
Old December 21st 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Gregory Blank

In article et,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

LF Kodachrome did exist for
a short while.

Largely ignored.
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.
Old December 23rd 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
babelfish

"Nicholas O. Lindan" Really? Large format Kodachrome?

Got a bit carried away ... so put a 35mm back
on the Deardorf. LF Kodachrome did exist for
a short while.

We recently drum scanned a portrait of Yogi Berra for his museum. It was
shot in the dugout on 4x5 Kodachrome by a nameless news photographer who was
probably using a hand held Speed Graphic with a flash bulb fill. It was as
beautiful as the day it was processed. Ah, those were the days.

john
www.technicalphoto.com