1395 cable for Canon 1D Mark II

Old November 11th 04, 04:41 AM
Brian Stirling

Default 1395 cable for Canon 1D Mark II

I got my 1D Mark II a week ago and I'm a happy camper with one
exception...

My laptop PC (Sony Vaio VCG-P505EX) has the small i-link version of
the 1394 (firewire) cable and the 1394 cable supplied with the camera
has the larger connector at the PC end. SOOO...

1. Is the 1394 cable that Canon supplies a standard 1394 cable?
That is, if I were to get a firewire cable that has small connectors
at both ends would it work with the camera or is the camera pinout
non-standard?

2. If a small-to-small 1394 cable is not compatible where can I get
an adapter to convert the large connector into a small (i-link)
connector?

Thanks,

Brian
Old November 11th 04, 11:51 AM
David Sommers

There are two styles of 1394 connectors, the larger 6-pin and the smaller
4-pin. There are no others. I have never heard of or seen a proprietary
connector for 1394 (Firewire, i-Link . . . whatever). So, it would seem you
need the same cable I use for my camera, a 4-pin to 4-pin.

Bye.

Old November 11th 04, 07:23 PM
MarkČ

"Brian Stirling" wrote in message
I got my 1D Mark II a week ago and I'm a happy camper with one
exception...

My laptop PC (Sony Vaio VCG-P505EX) has the small i-link version of
the 1394 (firewire) cable and the 1394 cable supplied with the camera
has the larger connector at the PC end. SOOO...

1. Is the 1394 cable that Canon supplies a standard 1394 cable?
That is, if I were to get a firewire cable that has small connectors
at both ends would it work with the camera or is the camera pinout
non-standard?

2. If a small-to-small 1394 cable is not compatible where can I get
an adapter to convert the large connector into a small (i-link)
connector?

Small-to-big cables are widely available, and will work just fine.

It is the same connection...only smaller.

Old November 12th 04, 05:47 AM
Howard McCollister

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

Small-to-big cables are widely available, and will work just fine.

It is the same connection...only smaller.

The 6-pin carries power. The 4-pin doesn't.

Any Best Buy will sell the 4-pin / 4-pin cable. You can buy a 4-6 pin
adapter, http://startech.com/ststore/itemdeta...uctID=FIRE46FM but
at $16 it's just about as cheap to buy the whole cable.

HMc

Old November 12th 04, 05:48 AM
MarkČ

"Howard McCollister" wrote in message

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

Small-to-big cables are widely available, and will work just fine.

It is the same connection...only smaller.

The 6-pin carries power. The 4-pin doesn't.

Any Best Buy will sell the 4-pin / 4-pin cable. You can buy a 4-6 pin
adapter, http://startech.com/ststore/itemdeta...uctID=FIRE46FM but
at $16 it's just about as cheap to buy the whole cable.

Ah, except in this case it shouldn't matter, correct?
I did not know that, though.
Thanks for the info.