Fuji's Moving Away From Retro

Old February 11th 18, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

Default Fuji's Moving Away From Retro

On 11/02/2018 11:53, Savageduck wrote:
David B. wrote:
On 11/02/2018 00:16, Savageduck wrote:
David B. wrote:
On 09/02/2018 18:21

It seems odd that you didn't fly directly to Cape Town.

Do you know of a direct SFO-CPT, or LAX-CPT flight?

Not personally .... but this is what Google tells me:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SF...MobJgAaDnZa4AQ

Nothing there is a direct SFO-CPT flight.

My quick scan was obviously inadequate. :-(

There are direct USA-South Africa flights from JFK, Atlanta, Houston, and
D.C. to Johannesburg(JNB), not to CPT.

Google told me this, too:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SF...MobJgAaDnZa4AQ

...and how was that any different to your first Google search?

It isn't.

Sadly, I posted the same link. I'd intended to post THIS one:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=LA...C-SagAa667rgCw

The last thing I want to do is to connect between JNB and CPT, if I don’t
need to.

Was it REALLY cheaper to fly via Europe?

Actually, the route I flew with KLM was the most cost effective for cash,
and seat exhaustion.

I have little doubt you did lots of research.

Even Google, though, didn't help explain "seat exhaustion". Whatever did
you mean?!!

Seat exhaustion means having your butt in a seat for 10+ hours from
SFO-AMS, and 11+ hours from AMS-CPT.

OK - thanks. The longest flight I've ever had took 56 hours (London to
Sydney). We arrived on the aircraft which had departed from Heathrow 24
hours after ours had departed - and that was late too!

If I could have afforded it, I would have chartered an executive jet.

Of course! :-)

Whilst many will no doubt feel I don't deserve it, I value your
response, Savageduck. Thank you.

--
David B.

Old February 11th 18, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 11/02/2018 14:23, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

It seems odd that you didn't fly directly to Cape Town.

Do you know of a direct SFO-CPT, or LAX-CPT flight?

Not personally .... but this is what Google tells me:-

you don't understand what it said or what the correct way to research
flights are.

It appears so. I don't fly much. IIRC it was London to Denver and return
back in 2004 when I went to Albuquerque to visit my son - who was
teaching USAF helicopter pilots at Kirtland AFB.

why are you so obsessed with his flight itinerary?

Not obsessed but the route struck me as odd. I'd have expected him to
fly directly if possible or else via the Far East/Australia.

--
David B.

Old February 11th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Seat exhaustion means having your butt in a seat for 10+ hours from
SFO-AMS, and 11+ hours from AMS-CPT.

OK - thanks. The longest flight I've ever had took 56 hours (London to
Sydney). We arrived on the aircraft which had departed from Heathrow 24
hours after ours had departed - and that was late too!

no it wasn't.

your *entire* *trip* might have been 56 hours, especially with irrops,
but no one flight was anywhere near that long.
Old February 11th 18, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 11/02/2018 21:02, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Seat exhaustion means having your butt in a seat for 10+ hours from
SFO-AMS, and 11+ hours from AMS-CPT.

OK - thanks. The longest flight I've ever had took 56 hours (London to
Sydney). We arrived on the aircraft which had departed from Heathrow 24
hours after ours had departed - and that was late too!

no it wasn't.

your *entire* *trip* might have been 56 hours, especially with irrops,
but no one flight was anywhere near that long.

You are correct. :-)

I learn a lot on Usenet!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...93jv_wB7jZoPAE
Old February 11th 18, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Seat exhaustion means having your butt in a seat for 10+ hours from
SFO-AMS, and 11+ hours from AMS-CPT.

OK - thanks. The longest flight I've ever had took 56 hours (London to
Sydney). We arrived on the aircraft which had departed from Heathrow 24
hours after ours had departed - and that was late too!

no it wasn't.

your *entire* *trip* might have been 56 hours, especially with irrops,
but no one flight was anywhere near that long.

You are correct. :-)

i know.

I learn a lot on Usenet!

if only that were true.
Old February 12th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

David B. wrote:
On 11/02/2018 14:23, nospam wrote:

why are you so obsessed with his flight itinerary?

Not obsessed but the route struck me as odd. I'd have expected him to
fly directly if possible or else via the Far East/Australia.

....flying from the US West Coast via Far East/Australia would have meant
even more time in aircraft (an extra 14+ hours), and the unnecessary loss
of a day due to crossing the IDL.

Savageduck
Old February 12th 18, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Seat exhaustion means having your butt in a seat for 10+ hours from
SFO-AMS, and 11+ hours from AMS-CPT.

OK - thanks. The longest flight I've ever had took 56 hours (London to
Sydney). We arrived on the aircraft which had departed from Heathrow 24
hours after ours had departed - and that was late too!

no it wasn't.

your *entire* *trip* might have been 56 hours, especially with irrops,
but no one flight was anywhere near that long.

....and there is also the UTC+10 hour time difference to be accounted for.
That means a total actual travel time of ±46 hours, with ±30 hours in the
air.

Savageduck
Old February 12th 18, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

David Taylor wrote:
On 10/02/2018 17:56, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Thanks!

Here are a few more from Schiphol.
The place gets graveyard quiet late at night.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcbgttbizhc0enr/Feb8-02.jpeg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/984hs94gxjddzxt/Feb8-03.jpeg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/txlkjpu8j31m5y0/Feb8-04.jpeg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/way65mq4mnzg8h0/Feb8-05.jpeg

Thanks! I'm usually there early or afternoon, never seen it quiet!
Captures the atmosphere very well.

BTW: Those four shots were taken with my X-E3.

I will be back at Schipol on my return trip in a few weeks.

Savageduck
Old February 12th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 12/02/2018 00:28, Savageduck wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Seat exhaustion means having your butt in a seat for 10+ hours from
SFO-AMS, and 11+ hours from AMS-CPT.

OK - thanks. The longest flight I've ever had took 56 hours (London to
Sydney). We arrived on the aircraft which had departed from Heathrow 24
hours after ours had departed - and that was late too!

no it wasn't.

your *entire* *trip* might have been 56 hours, especially with irrops,
but no one flight was anywhere near that long.

...and there is also the UTC+10 hour time difference to be accounted for.
That means a total actual travel time of ±46 hours, with ±30 hours in the
air.

Sadly you are mistaken this time, Savageduck.

It took 56 *REAL* hours from the time of take off from Heathrow until
the time of arrival in Sydney. Not the easiest of journeys with three
children under the age of nine!

The original aircraft suffered from mechanical faiure in the Middle East
and then the aircrew subsequently ran out of flying hours!

--
David B.

Old February 12th 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

David B. wrote:
On 12/02/2018 00:28, Savageduck wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

[...]

However, you were not in the air for 56 hours.

That is totally different to a normal flight, and this is the first time
you have spoken of mechanical, and crew issues to explain the time taken.
Your journey was extended beyond the normal travel time for that particular
trip. The airline obviously had no deliberate intention of turning the trip
into an ordeal for all taking that flight.

Savageduck