Manual or Auto

Old October 3rd 03, 12:52 PM
Jack

Default Manual or Auto

Hi all
I use a Nikon digital SLR camera. (perhaps the question is which digital
camera should I use?)

What flash equipment do members recommend using for long, 4 hours,
wedding/social events.

Some of the main problems are;
enough flash power for 4 hours shooting
having to work fast in order to capture peoples expressions etc.

Also would one use auto or manual flash/camera?
And what about auto focus?
Have any members had these problems and how did they tackle them?
Many people say ONLY manual - if that's true then I might as well buy a
basic camera - if there is such a thing.

In a nutshell(??)

Thanks for your valuable time

Old October 3rd 03, 06:44 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Jack" wrote in message ...
Hi all
I use a Nikon digital SLR camera. (perhaps the question is which digital
camera should I use?)

What flash equipment do members recommend using for long, 4 hours,
wedding/social events.

Some of the main problems are;
enough flash power for 4 hours shooting
having to work fast in order to capture peoples expressions etc.

Also would one use auto or manual flash/camera?
And what about auto focus?
Have any members had these problems and how did they tackle them?
Many people say ONLY manual - if that's true then I might as well buy a
basic camera - if there is such a thing.

In a nutshell(??)

Thanks for your valuable time

The big Metz are the way to go. I believe it's called the 60 or 600 series.

See these, to start:

http://www.epinions.com/Metz_70_MZ_5..._Flashes_70251

http://www.epinions.com/Metz_60_CT_4...__Flashes_5241
Old October 6th 03, 12:25 AM
zeitgeist

I use a Nikon digital SLR camera. (perhaps the question is which digital
camera should I use?)

What flash equipment do members recommend using for long, 4 hours,
wedding/social events.

Some of the main problems are;
enough flash power for 4 hours shooting
having to work fast in order to capture peoples expressions etc.

Also would one use auto or manual flash/camera?
And what about auto focus?
Have any members had these problems and how did they tackle them?
Many people say ONLY manual - if that's true then I might as well buy a
basic camera - if there is such a thing.

If you have ttl then I'd consider getting a flash that makes use of it.

long hours and quick recycle use usually means external hi-voltage battery
source.

So you are looking at Qflash, metz, some sunpacks, keep in mind that the
expensive systems usually come with a hi voltage external battery already.
So a $500 or so flash isn't that much more expensive than a $100 vivitar
with all the accessories like the metal feet, and an add on external
battery.

for a way cool look that is significantly improved over the average wedding
shooter then the one thing you can do to take a step up is to get into key
and fill slave flash, a second unit on a light stand.

So with a back up you would be looking at 3 set ups.