Flash for EOS D-Reb.

Old June 24th 04, 01:31 PM
Gisle Hannemyr

Default Flash for EOS D-Reb.

"skymuffins" writes:

Does anyone have any experience with a non-Canon flash units? Are
there any flash systems that work with EOS system that aren't so
big... or expensive?

There are at least to Metz and one Sigma flash that are reported to
work with the D-Rebel, but if cost is your main criteria, the canon
220 EX is cheap (but also low power, without tilt/swivel, and cannot
be part of a wireless combo).

Canon D-Reb/300D is set up to use a proprietary flash metering mode
known as E-TTL, (that's a version of TTL adapted for digital camera
use, where the camera measures the light of a low intensity preflash
through the lens and uses this data used to set both the flash
intenstity and the aperture). This metering mode is available on the
Canon EX-series flashes.
(To make matters even more complicated Canon now also offers a
proprietary metering mode called E-TTL II - currently only avialable
on the 1D Mk. II - but for a D-Reb/300D, we'll stick to E-TTL.)

Here is a list of the flash guns I am aware of that are E-TTL-compa-
tible, sorted by guide numbers (in meters, for ISO 100). In addition
to Canon's own models, I've listed some third party flash guns claimed
by their manufacturer to be "Canon digital" compatible. These third
party guns use reverse engineered interfaces for E-TTL compatibility.
The Sigma 500 DG Super has a fair reputation for E-TTL compatibility,
the Metz models have received more mixed reviews with regard to E-TTL
compatibility, but make up for this by having an excellent auto mode.
The Sigma and the two most expenisive Canons may be used in a wireless
master/slave setup (the 420EX as slave only).

Model GN Notes
1. Canon 220 EX (22) No tilt/swivel
2. Canon 420 EX (42) W/l slave only.
3. Metz 44 AF-4C (44) Rev. engineered. Also auto.
4. Sigma 500 DG Super (50) W/l master + slave. Rev. engineered
5. Metz 54 MZ-4C (54) Rev. engineered. Also auto.
6. Canon 550 EX (55) W/l master + slave
Some details listed in "notes" column - for more technical details,
see the manufacturers' specification sheets.

So ... which one to get for D-Reb/300D?

That depends entirely on what you want from your flash gun:

- If you just want a cheap flash for the D-Rebel, buy the 220EX.
- If you also want an auto mode, go for one of the Metz units.
- If you want a lot of power for little money, go for the Sigma.
- If you don't want to risk compatibility hassles, get a Canon model.
.... and so on.
Old June 24th 04, 03:28 PM
skymuffins

"Gisle Hannemyr" wrote in message
"skymuffins" writes:
"Robertwgross" wrote:
skymuffins wrote:

OK, Where do you find the tech specs online... without having to
buy one and return it?

Well, let me take a wild guess!
How about the Canon web site?
No, that would be too easy.

Yup, that would be too easy. Not much info at their newly designed
website.

I guess it depends on your defintion of "much".
I find this page quite informative:
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/camera...550exspec.html

Thats what I was looking for, I found it yesterday. They recently
redesigned their website (for the better), and I'm not used to it.

Thanks for the info Gisle.

- Harrison

Old June 25th 04, 04:21 AM
Paul J Gans

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
"skymuffins" writes:
"Robertwgross" wrote:
skymuffins wrote:

OK, Where do you find the tech specs online... without having to
buy one and return it?

Well, let me take a wild guess!
How about the Canon web site?
No, that would be too easy.

Yup, that would be too easy. Not much info at their newly designed
website.

I guess it depends on your defintion of "much".
I find this page quite informative:
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/camera...550exspec.html

Yup, but the 420EX page had essentially nothing.

Bad show.

----- Paul J. Gans