Tested lens, got funky stripes in sky...

Old February 2nd 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Tested lens, got funky stripes in sky...

I tested the Nikon 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor on my d200.
No filter at all. Got some stripes in the sky and don't know what it
is. Can someone tell what it is? It's a large file...the only way to
show everything.

located at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/newmetro/

Thanks
Old February 2nd 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:27:47 -0500, rafe b rafebATspeakeasy.net
wrote:

I downloaded this image (2896 x 1944) and looked at
it in Photoshop at 100%. Try as I may, don't see
any stripes in the sky.

If I look hard enough at it, or screw around with
Curves/Levels, I can see JPG artifacts, but that's
not at all surprising, as you're using fairly
heavy JPG compression (~6:1 relative to the TIF.)

Are you sure it's not your monitor? If you move
the image around on the screen, do the stripes
follow the image?

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the stipes move as the image moves. I am
looking on an oler monitor, but other pictures look fine. Where does
it show the compression ratio? When you say 'heavy' is that good or
bad? Should I change it, and to what? Thanks.

Old February 2nd 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
I downloaded this image (2896 x 1944) and looked at
it in Photoshop at 100%. Try as I may, don't see
any stripes in the sky.

If I look hard enough at it, or screw around with
Curves/Levels, I can see JPG artifacts, but that's
not at all surprising, as you're using fairly
heavy JPG compression (~6:1 relative to the TIF.)

Are you sure it's not your monitor? If you move
the image around on the screen, do the stripes
follow the image?

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Well I'll be an SOB!!! It does look OK on my wifes monitor. SOrry to
have bothered everyone...at least I learned something today.

GAry

Still wojld like to know about that compression thing.
Old February 2nd 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"baker1" wrote in message
I tested the Nikon 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor on my d200.
No filter at all. Got some stripes in the sky and don't know what it
is. Can someone tell what it is? It's a large file...the only way to
show everything.

located at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/newmetro/

Thanks

I think that you're in over your head relative to your equipment.

Old February 2nd 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:32:41 GMT, "J Bowen" wrote:

"baker1" wrote in message
.. .

I think that you're in over your head relative to your equipment.

Now there's some encouraging words...thanks.
Old February 2nd 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"baker1" wrote in message
Well I'll be an SOB!!! It does look OK on my wifes monitor. SOrry
have bothered everyone...at least I learned something today.

Sounds like the original problem may be posterization or banding ...
you may have too low a color depth set in the video card's properties.
http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/graph...terization.htm

Old February 2nd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

It's what happens when people get too emotionally invested in
equipment.
It's sad, really.

Old February 2nd 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's what happens when people get too emotionally invested in
equipment.
It's sad, really.

You mean I shouldn't be sleeping with my lenses?!! Darn! I'm gonna need
therapy.

Old February 2nd 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"baker1" wrote:
I tested the Nikon 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor on my d200.
No filter at all. Got some stripes in the sky and don't know what it
is. Can someone tell what it is? It's a large file...the only way to
show everything.

located at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/newmetro/

There are 56 photos there; which one am I supposed to be looking at?

Jon

Nikon Lens rlking Digital SLR Cameras 4 November 3rd 05 09:51 AM
Nikon D70 Telephoto Zoom Lens Recommendation Clyde Torres Digital Photography 44 April 9th 05 05:13 PM
FS: Schneider Large-Format Lens TRADE!!! Bill Gillooly General Equipment For Sale 2 February 20th 05 06:43 AM
Digital vs Film - just give in! [email protected] Medium Format Photography Equipment 159 November 15th 04 04:56 PM
perspective w/ 35mm lenses? PrincePete01 Digital Photography 373 August 10th 04 02:21 PM