Nikon image download - OSX Sierra

Old November 10th 16, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nige Danton[_2_]

Default Nikon image download - OSX Sierra

Recently bought a MacBook Pro and upgraded the OS to Sierra. Nikon's NX2 no
longer sees the camera (D7000). I've tried to DL the latest version from
Nikon but it hangs part way through the installation. Any suggestions on
how to fix, or suggestions for alternative image download software?

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old November 10th 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
-september.
org, Nige Danton wrote:

Recently bought a MacBook Pro and upgraded the OS to Sierra. Nikon's NX2 no
longer sees the camera (D7000). I've tried to DL the latest version from
Nikon but it hangs part way through the installation. Any suggestions on
how to fix, or suggestions for alternative image download software?

use lightroom, apple's image capture or plenty of others. another
option is just put the card in the sd slot and use finder to copy the
photos, but then you still need lightroom or similar to manage and
process the photos, so you might as well use lightroom from the start.
Old November 10th 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/10/2016 9:50 AM, nospam wrote:
In article
-september.
org, Nige Danton wrote:

Recently bought a MacBook Pro and upgraded the OS to Sierra. Nikon's NX2 no
longer sees the camera (D7000). I've tried to DL the latest version from
Nikon but it hangs part way through the installation. Any suggestions on
how to fix, or suggestions for alternative image download software?

use lightroom, apple's image capture or plenty of others. another
option is just put the card in the sd slot and use finder to copy the
photos, but then you still need lightroom or similar to manage and
process the photos, so you might as well use lightroom from the start.

Yes, LR will do part of the job. But NX2 does a more accurate
interpretation of what comes out of the camera. You are assuming he does
not need that function. I agree that it is highly probable that many
shooters do not need that function, but i have found it useful on
occasion.

--
PeterN
Old November 10th 16, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Recently bought a MacBook Pro and upgraded the OS to Sierra. Nikon's NX2 no
longer sees the camera (D7000). I've tried to DL the latest version from
Nikon but it hangs part way through the installation. Any suggestions on
how to fix, or suggestions for alternative image download software?

use lightroom, apple's image capture or plenty of others. another
option is just put the card in the sd slot and use finder to copy the
photos, but then you still need lightroom or similar to manage and
process the photos, so you might as well use lightroom from the start.

Yes, LR will do part of the job. But NX2 does a more accurate
interpretation of what comes out of the camera.

that's a subjective opinion (and may not even be desirable) and nothing
that can't be done in lightroom or other apps.

You are assuming he does
not need that function. I agree that it is highly probable that many
shooters do not need that function, but i have found it useful on
occasion.

he described being unable to move photos to the computer, not being
unable to get what you think is accurate.
Old November 10th 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Recently bought a MacBook Pro and upgraded the OS to Sierra. Nikon's NX2
no
longer sees the camera (D7000). I've tried to DL the latest version from
Nikon but it hangs part way through the installation. Any suggestions on
how to fix, or suggestions for alternative image download software?

use lightroom, apple's image capture or plenty of others. another
option is just put the card in the sd slot and use finder to copy the
photos, but then you still need lightroom or similar to manage and
process the photos, so you might as well use lightroom from the start.

Yes, LR will do part of the job. But NX2 does a more accurate
interpretation of what comes out of the camera.

that's a subjective opinion (and may not even be desirable) and nothing
that can't be done in lightroom or other apps.

One would think that Nikons own application do have better access to the
encrypted parts of the file metadata...

You are assuming he does
not need that function. I agree that it is highly probable that many
shooters do not need that function, but i have found it useful on
occasion.

he described being unable to move photos to the computer, not being
unable to get what you think is accurate.

--
teleportation kills
Old November 10th 16, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

Yes, LR will do part of the job. But NX2 does a more accurate
interpretation of what comes out of the camera.

that's a subjective opinion (and may not even be desirable) and nothing
that can't be done in lightroom or other apps.

One would think that Nikons own application do have better access to the
encrypted parts of the file metadata...

they do, but that doesn't mean other apps can't get as good or better
results. it's not like lightroom is choosing parameters at random.
Old November 10th 16, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/10/2016 12:12 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

OIC. I guess the Nikon professionals, who incorporate NX2 into their
workflow should hire you to give them advice.

--
PeterN
Old November 10th 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 11/10/2016 12:21 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , android
wrote:

Yes, LR will do part of the job. But NX2 does a more accurate
interpretation of what comes out of the camera.

that's a subjective opinion (and may not even be desirable) and nothing
that can't be done in lightroom or other apps.

One would think that Nikons own application do have better access to the
encrypted parts of the file metadata...

they do, but that doesn't mean other apps can't get as good or better
results. it's not like lightroom is choosing parameters at random.

LR does a reasonably good job at reading the encryption, but it is not
as accurate as NX2. I doubt if most need that accuracy, but here we
don't know if the OP does.

--
PeterN
Old November 10th 16, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

he described being unable to move photos to the computer, not being
unable to get what you think is accurate.

OIC. I guess the Nikon professionals, who incorporate NX2 into their
workflow

he wasn't asking about workflow. he wanted to copy photos from the
camera to the computer, which can be done in many ways.

as for your ignorant comment, most professionals, whether it's nikon,
canon or something else, overwhelmingly choose lightroom for their
workflow versus the manufacturer's own provided app because it
typically is not very good, slow and very limiting.

should hire you to give them advice.

yes, they should. nx2 is very poorly written.
Old November 10th 16, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

LR does a reasonably good job at reading the encryption, but it is not
as accurate as NX2.

so what? accuracy is rarely the goal.

the *moment* you make *any* adjustment, it's no longer accurate. just
how many photos do you make *no* adjustments whatsoever?

I doubt if most need that accuracy, but here we
don't know if the OP does.

he wasn't asking about accuracy.