Are film scanners any good?

Old September 7th 04, 10:49 AM
John Doe

Default Are film scanners any good?

Hey,

I am considering buying a film SLR and a film scanner. The idea is to
use the film scanner to avoid costs of printing shots. So I can scan
and see the pics and then ask the lab to print only a few off each
roll that I like. At this point, let me make it clear that dSLRs are
WAY beyond my budget.

But my concern is about scanning colour negatives (thats what most of
us prosumers use, right?). I've read that scanning colour negatives
requires scanners worth thousands of dollars due to the orange mask.
Given that I can't afford thousands of dollars worth of scanner and
will use the regular Konica/Kodak colour film, should I ditch the
scanner path?

And any reviews on the Epson Perfection 2580?

Thanks,

Siddhartha
Old September 7th 04, 12:25 PM
Colin D

John Doe wrote:

Hey,

I am considering buying a film SLR and a film scanner. The idea is to
use the film scanner to avoid costs of printing shots. So I can scan
and see the pics and then ask the lab to print only a few off each
roll that I like. At this point, let me make it clear that dSLRs are
WAY beyond my budget.

But my concern is about scanning colour negatives (thats what most of
us prosumers use, right?). I've read that scanning colour negatives
requires scanners worth thousands of dollars due to the orange mask.
Given that I can't afford thousands of dollars worth of scanner and
will use the regular Konica/Kodak colour film, should I ditch the
scanner path?

And any reviews on the Epson Perfection 2580?

Thanks,

Siddhartha

All film scanners I know of have software that compensates for orange
masks, and most allow for different film types to get optimum color
balance direct from the scanner. The scanner removes the mask and
inverts the image to a positive automatically. Of course, for best
results you will probably have to tweak color balance, contrast,
brightness, etc in a program like Photoshop or similar.

A film scanner like an Acer/Benq Scanwit, Nikon LS2000, Minolta DImage,
etc. that will give about 2,700 dpi is adequate for your intended
purpose, and you wil probably pick one up on Ebay for around $200.

But, having said that, your idea of using the scanner simply to select
negs you want to print doesn't sound like a good idea. Scanners are
slow, like about 45 seconds to a minute or so for each negative. A
better idea would be to buy or make a light-box on which you can view
your negs with a loupe, or magnifier. With practice you can read negs
quite well, and a lot faster than a scanner.

Maybe you could rethink your decision to go with a film camera and
scanner combo. A used D30 on Ebay seems to be around $600 - $700, and
would save you buying a scanner and an older camera. By the time you
factor in film and processing costs over a year or two, there probably
isn't much difference in going digital from the outset.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do,

Colin D.

Old September 7th 04, 02:31 PM
John Doe

Thanks for the info, Colin. Two problems, I am not in the US (am in
India) so can't avail all the cheap stuff going on sale on eBay
Two, is that I don't have US$600-700. I will probably spend approx
US$250 buying a Canon 300V (Thats Rebel Ti for you) this month and
another US$150 next month on the scanner. And then will add a 50mm lens
to the kit.

After spending ~6400-700+ on any single piece equipment, I would be
worried all the time about damaging it.

Btw, I already have a Olympus C-750. I want an SLR so I can learn more.
Thanks again,

Siddhartha

Old September 7th 04, 03:49 PM
Alan Browne

John Doe wrote:
Hey,

I am considering buying a film SLR and a film scanner. The idea is to
use the film scanner to avoid costs of printing shots. So I can scan
and see the pics and then ask the lab to print only a few off each
roll that I like. At this point, let me make it clear that dSLRs are
WAY beyond my budget.

But my concern is about scanning colour negatives (thats what most of
us prosumers use, right?). I've read that scanning colour negatives
requires scanners worth thousands of dollars due to the orange mask.
Given that I can't afford thousands of dollars worth of scanner and
will use the regular Konica/Kodak colour film, should I ditch the
scanner path?

And any reviews on the Epson Perfection 2580?

Assuming you're not posting this for the fun of it (and fungus
and X700 posts come to mind...) all dedicated film scanners,
regardless of price come with s/w that is fully aware of the
orange mask and compensate for it. Some flatbeds used to scan
film have had problems in this regard according to some. A basic
Minolta, Nikon or Canon film scanner in the 300 - $500 range will
do the job quite well.

Google away and you will find a lot on the scanner in question.
Google groups on comp.periphs.scanners would be of benefit too.

Films such as Kodak Portra 160NC scan beautifully. Some films
are harder to get the colour right.

Alan

Old September 7th 04, 04:01 PM
bmoag

The problem is than an inexpensive camera like the Canon can yield excellent
results but you will not see them unless you have a reasonable quality
scanner. For flatbeds you need to go up a notch or two on the Epson product
ladder to get a flatbed scanner that does a reasonable job with negatives.
Once you see how the process works you will be very unhappy if you do not
have a half-way decent scanner.