Macros

Old March 24th 13, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Macros

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:37:10 -0400, PeterN
wrote:
: On 3/23/2013 9:30 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:18:08 -0400, PeterN
: wrote:
: : On 3/23/2013 6:08 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: : On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:35:11 -0400, PeterN
: : wrote:
: :
: : On 3/23/2013 9:51 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: : On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:45:32 -0400, PeterN
: : wrote:
: :
: : On 3/17/2013 3:31 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: : On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:14:15 -0400, PeterN
: :
: : snip
: :
: :
: : Camera clubs live in there own little world and stay in a rut.
: :
: : Not all. Just some of the judges. My club has 60 members. On competition
: : nights we average about 40. On other nights, attendance varies, but
: : rarely less than 30. We have filed trips every Sunday. about 15 to 20
: : show up. Some just come for breakfast, where we get into discussions.
: : About two weeks ago two of our members gave a presentation of shooting
: : butterflies. Today, we went to a butterfly exhibit. (Yes it was
: : indoors.) On my recent trip to FL, I was kept busy almost every day,
: : shooting with members oaf my club.
: :
: : A second club I belong to has about 40-50 members. I joined them
: : yesterday for a field trip to a car show. I'll stop and take a shot
: : or two at a car show, but I'm not a big fan. Too many people standing
: : around the cars, the sun is never right for the shot I want, and I've
: : never been able to get my circular polarizer to do its thing.
: :
: : I went for the social aspect. Eight of us had a meal together and
: : chatted about photography. This smaller club is more social than the
: : larger club I belong to, but the larger club also has field trips.
: :
: : Here's why I don't like car shows:
: :
: : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2013-03-16-75.jpg
: :
: : If you only take shots like that, I don't blame you. However, I am
: : surprised that you don't see a lot of good Street shots at a car show,
: : or any other street festival.
: :
: :
: : Oh, I do. Like this:
: : http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...01-21-2G-L.jpg
: : http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...01-21-1G-L.jpg
: :
: : While I understand your enthusiasm for street shots, I have little
: : personal appreciation of that genre.
: : That being said, I like the last shot. Too bad the little boy was not in
: : the upper right-hand corner. :-)
: :
: : That whooshes me. The boy in the diaper? Why would it improve the
: : image if he was in the upper right corner?
: :
: : The fountains make interesting leading lines, that would go straight to
: : the little boy. If you have CS6, try a content aware move.
:
: So what's he going to do? Perch on that palm tree?
:
:
: Right between the fountains. Of course, he might look a tad smaller so
: as not to lose perspective.

Er... I believe those things in the upper right corner are more like flagpoles
than fountains. Are you sure we're looking at the same picture?

Or are you saying that the boy should go to the point on the patio that's
nearest the upper right corner (and between the flagpoles)? But now there's no
longer a fountain right in front of him, so the fact that he's looking down at
it makes no sense. Or do we just Photoshoppe another fountain in for him to
look at?

What on earth is the point? The picture is perfectly satisfactory with the boy
where he is. It violates no rule of composition, not even the revered Rule of
Thirds.

Hmmm. Looking back, I see a smiley on the original suggestion that I've been
ignoring. I've fallen for a joke, haven't I?

Bob
Old March 24th 13, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Nige Danton[_2_]

"dadiOH" wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...y-27-pictures/

Those are nothing short of EXCELLENT!!

They are brilliant aren't they. Can anyone offer recommendations for a
guide (online or a book) as an introduction to the techniques and kit for
this type of photography? Currently have a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old March 24th 13, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

the little oby. If you have CS6, try a content aware move.

I see. It could work, but I don't really like creating the scene. I
may make some minor alterations, but the photo has to stand as it was
for the most part. I cloned over a red stop sign that distractingly
peeked through the trees, but that's about as far as I'll go.

Horses for courses

--
PeterN
Old March 24th 13, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

: wrote:
: : On 3/23/2013 6:08 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: : On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:35:11 -0400, PeterN
: : wrote:
: :
: : On 3/23/2013 9:51 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
: : On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:45:32 -0400, PeterN
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

Nope. I was serious. I have no compunctions about manipulating any
image, if I think the image will be stronger.

--
PeterN
Old March 24th 13, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 3/24/2013 1:45 AM, Nige Danton wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
http://memolition.com/2013/03/15/the...y-27-pictures/

Those are nothing short of EXCELLENT!!

They are brilliant aren't they. Can anyone offer recommendations for a
guide (online or a book) as an introduction to the techniques and kit for
this type of photography? Currently have a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.

In addition to Tony Cooper's comments, If you put an extension tube on
your lens, you will be able to move closer to the subject. The tradeoff
is that you will have a smaller depth of field, which you can use to
your advantage.

--
PeterN
Old March 25th 13, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Nige Danton[_2_]

PeterN wrote:

In addition to Tony Cooper's comments, If you put an extension tube on
your lens, you will be able to move closer to the subject. The tradeoff
is that you will have a smaller depth of field, which you can use to your advantage.

Great, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look and see what's
available. I'll probably be back with more queries.

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old March 25th 13, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Nige Danton[_2_]

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 05:45:20 +0000 (UTC), Nige Danton
wrote:

They are brilliant aren't they. Can anyone offer recommendations for a
guide (online or a book) as an introduction to the techniques and kit for
this type of photography? Currently have a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.

I suggest you go to Digital Grin (www.dgrin.com) and follow the forum
on Macros. You'll see the good and the bad, and a lot of tips and
information. Check for new posting frequently.

Pay special attention to the contributions by "Lord Vetinari" and
follow the links to his website. There's no better macro shooting and
teacher around than Brian.

Thanks very much i'll go and register.

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old April 7th 13, 08:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
ruben safir

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:18:03 -0400, PeterN wrote:

In addition to Tony Cooper's comments, If you put an extension tube on
your lens, you will be able to move closer to the subject. The tradeoff
is that you will have a smaller depth of field, which you can use to
your advantage.

what is an extention tube?

Ruben
--
The Coin Hangout: http://www.coinhangout.com/home
Old April 7th 13, 11:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
R. Mark Clayton

"ruben safir" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:18:03 -0400, PeterN wrote:

In addition to Tony Cooper's comments, If you put an extension tube on
your lens, you will be able to move closer to the subject. The tradeoff
is that you will have a smaller depth of field, which you can use to
your advantage.

what is an extention tube?

Ruben
--
The Coin Hangout: http://www.coinhangout.com/home

A short piece of tube that goes between the lens and the body and means that
the lens will focus on nearer objects.

Old April 7th 13, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 4/7/13 2:40 AM, in article , "ruben safir"
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:18:03 -0400, PeterN wrote:

In addition to Tony Cooper's comments, If you put an extension tube on
your lens, you will be able to move closer to the subject. The tradeoff
is that you will have a smaller depth of field, which you can use to
your advantage.

what is an extention tube?

Ruben

Oh, I am so not going there!