Resolution of photo paper?

Old August 31st 04, 03:14 PM
Andrew

Default Resolution of photo paper?

What's the resolution of photo paper? Googling for terms
such as dpi and noritsu, I came across marketing claims
from minilab manufacturers claiming 400 and 500 dpi. Is the
the current bottleneck the paper or the equipment used to
project light onto the paper?

I just bought a 10D. I am going to print primarily 4x6's and
I've decided to scale down the raw image to 75% (2304x1536)
to generate jpegs suitable for printing at 4x6. This gets
me 384 dpi.

I found that when printing the same G3 photo at 4x6 and 5x7
(378 dpi vs. 324 dpi) that I could discern the difference in
detail and the the 4x6 had a noticably more tack-sharp
quality, but this could be due to the sharpening settings
being more optimal for the 4x6 print.

Here are some of the first images from my totally digital
10D (not to be confused with the totally obsolete D60 ).
I'm using Breezebrowser with quality factor 99. This keeps
all my images under walmart.com's 3MB upload limit.

http://w3.kill-9.com/batterypark.jpg
http://w3.kill-9.com/liberty.jpg
http://w3.kill-9.com/relative.jpg

Andrew
Old August 31st 04, 03:37 PM
Joseph Meehan

Andrew wrote:
[...]

As you know sharpness can't really be measured. It is perceived by the
human eye. Not only that, but each of us sees a little different.

Most authorities seems to believe that about 300 DPI is it. More is OK,
but few if anyone will be able to see the difference. Less than 300 DPI and
people start being able to notice the difference.

As you have noted other factors like sharpening settings and sampling of
a larger image can be more important.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old August 31st 04, 04:06 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Andrew
writes
What's the resolution of photo paper? Googling for terms
such as dpi and noritsu, I came across marketing claims
from minilab manufacturers claiming 400 and 500 dpi. Is the
the current bottleneck the paper or the equipment used to
project light onto the paper?

What do you mean by "photo paper"? From the words, I would take it to
mean traditional light-sensitive emulsion coated paper; for this,
maximum resolution is probably around 60-70 lp/mm - and this for good
B&W papers, most colour neg/pos paper would probably be lower.

Note however that 60-70 lp/mm is way in excess of what the keenest human
eye can detect; that limit is closer to 30 lp/mm.

If you mean inkjet paper, I don't know, but I suspect the printer has
more control over this than the paper - not that the paper has no
influence.

David
--
David Littlewood

Old August 31st 04, 04:10 PM
Joe Johnson

In a series of tests I ran years ago for Modern Photography I came up with

8
lines per mm .

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Is that 8 lines or 8 line pairs per mm?

8 lines would be roughly equivalent to 200 dpi (8*25.4 mm/in)

8 line pairs would be roughly 400 dpi

Old August 31st 04, 04:38 PM
George

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Andrew wrote:
[...]

A REALLY major factor in perceived sharpness (and often overlooked) is the
ability to produce continuous tones. I've seen 200 dpi look great and 600
dpi look terrible based on this factor alone.

As for the OP's question (which sounded to me like a photographic limitation
question), some of the
best macro lenses only resolve slightly over 100 lp per inch.

George