Correcting incorrect white balance setting.

Old January 7th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin C

Default Correcting incorrect white balance setting.

Made a big mistake today. When out and took a whole bunch of shots, grey
clouds, stormy sea, etc. But, when I looked later (taking some shots in
a cosy pub) I found I'd the white balance set wrong.

In the pub I was about to adjust the white balance setting to tungsten
lighting but it was already there. That means that all of the shots from
the beach under brooding grey skies have been taken with the white
balance set for tungsten.

Oh, damn and blast it.

I've access to Adobe CS2 (and any free tools DL'able from t'internet) to
correct the mistake I've made but how do I go about it? A major drawback
is that I'm colour blind. I can't go in and adjust each photo until "it
looks right" because what "looks right" to me is completely hilarious to
someone else. So, I suppose, what I need to know is, is there a
numerical adjustment I can apply to all of these images that will
correct them?

Thank you for any help you can give regarding this.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old January 7th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Justin C" wrote in message
[...]

Just convert to monochrome and tell everyone that was what you were aiming
for.

Question, how could you tell that the WB was wrong, if you are colour blind?

There are a number of methods of fixing WB using photoshop.

Best way to avoid the situation from spoiling your shots is to use raw mode.

Old January 7th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Justin C wrote:
[...]

Are these JPEGs or RAW images? IAE,

I'd start by using the eyedropper tool in CS2, slapping it on something
you know to be white. Then note the color temp in the sliders, and apply
that to the others.

Also try auto white bal in photoshop; sometimes it's right on.

--
john mcwilliams
Old January 7th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:33:21 +0000, Justin C wrote:

[...]

If you shot 'raw' then ufraw has settings to correct that.

Old January 8th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin C

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

Justin C wrote:
[...]

JPEGs. Though my camera can shoot RAW it has no RAW buffer and I have to
wait *way* too long between shots, I wanted to capture some quite
rapidly - a faster card may help with this.

Usually I do shoot RAW, but not today, ho hum.

I'd start by using the eyedropper tool in CS2, slapping it on something
you know to be white. Then note the color temp in the sliders, and apply
that to the others.

I'll give that a go, there was a *log* of white surf in those waves.

Also try auto white bal in photoshop; sometimes it's right on.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old January 8th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin C

In article ,
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

"Justin C" wrote in message
Made a big mistake today. When out and took a whole bunch of shots, grey
clouds, stormy sea, etc. But, when I looked later (taking some shots in
a cosy pub) I found I'd the white balance set wrong.

In the pub I was about to adjust the white balance setting to tungsten
lighting but it was already there. That means that all of the shots from
the beach under brooding grey skies have been taken with the white
balance set for tungsten.

[snip]

Just convert to monochrome and tell everyone that was what you were aiming
for.

Some of them may look better that way anyway

Question, how could you tell that the WB was wrong, if you are colour blind?

Because I was changing it to tungsten to shoot in the pub, and found it
was already there.

There are a number of methods of fixing WB using photoshop.

One has already been mentioned and I'll Google if that doesn't work out
(I'll ask my wife to look at what I'm doing, otherwise I just won't
know!).

Best way to avoid the situation from spoiling your shots is to use raw mode.

Noted. I think I need a faster card for that though. My camera is locked
solid for 6+ seconds while it writes each RAW file - and with all those
fast moving waves that wasn't ideal.

Thank you for your suggestions.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
Old January 8th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Justin C" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rudy Benner" wrote:

"Justin C" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, my Oly C-7070 is slow to write raw files too, its aggrevating to say
the least. My Nikon is fast. The Oly is for underwater only.