How big a laptop screen?

Old March 9th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default How big a laptop screen?

I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
do reasonable photo work?

The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.

I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
heh.)

Recommendations? Thanks.

JJ
Old March 9th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mar 9, 3:47 pm, wrote:
I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
do reasonable photo work?

The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.

I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
heh.)

Recommendations? Thanks.

JJ

I'm very happy with my 15.4" wide-screen ThinkPad. Large, bright
screen and very light. And it's not that much more expensive than a
similarly configured Dell (which would weigh about twice as much).

-Gniewko

Old March 9th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Not really. A 17" laptop screen is completely different from a 17"
desktop screen.

--
Joan

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
:
: Sounds like you just answered your own question: 17".
:
: -- Larry

Old March 10th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

wrote:
I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
do reasonable photo work?

The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.

I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
heh.)

Recommendations? Thanks.

Resolution is more important than screen size, because you need to be able
to see your tools along sid eyour image, and still have sufficient pixels to
represent them.

My 13" 1280x800 kicks booty on a 15" at XGA (1024x768).

Don't necessarily buy into the scam that is "wide-screen" laptop, etc. All
"wide-screen" really means is that you've got a LOT LESS vertical area to
work with...meaning documents are a pain, and so are portrait mode pictures.
I think the wide-screen thing was economic genius on the part of
manufacturers...because they got people to believe that slicing off the top
and bottom of their screens was a good thing(!?). It isn't...except to save
a bit of battery life, perhaps.

MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old March 10th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mike wrote:
wrote:
I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
do reasonable photo work?

The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.

I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
heh.)

Recommendations? Thanks.

JJ

I also use a ThinkPad with a 15.4" screen. I generally like BIG
screens, but I think that anything much larger will be a problem in some
environments. Even my 15.4 screen sometimes causes a problem when
seated in airliners (unless you fly up in first class). And if the guy
in front of you puts his seat back... it's all over. For my use, I want
at least 15" (1600 x 1200 resolution) but anything beyond 15.4 is
probably not worth the additional problems.
Mike

I really think that the new widescreen laptops are partly in answer to
the problem you mentioned when flying. My 15.4 screen becomes a real
problem in coach. Of course, if you are one of those with a 32 inch
waist, it might not be quite as bad....
I end up having to tilt the keyboard up onto my chest in order to be
able to see the screen, which makes entering data a bit difficult....
Old March 10th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adam Helberg

wrote in message
I've got to buy a new laptop. Forgetting for the moment whether it's
going to be a Mac or a PC, and all other things being equal (like my
software and relative competence), how big a screen size do I need to
do reasonable photo work?

The Mac Book tops out at 13 inches. The larger Mac Book Pro series is
a bit pricey for my pocketbook. The various PCs -- Toshiba, Dell,
Fujitsu -- can be had for around $1000 with a 17" screen.

I'm using a 17" flatscreen with my desktop PC. Not sure I'd want to go
much smaller. But since I'd have to haul the laptop around the
country, I don't want anything too large, either. (Size matters,
heh.)

Recommendations? Thanks.

JJ

My rules to laptop screen are as follows:
-go with the widescreen, the truebrite or equiv
-min screen size 14 inch
-for travel I would not go bigger that 15.4 unless computing is your main activity

Adam

Old March 10th 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
timeOday

MarkČ wrote:

Don't necessarily buy into the scam that is "wide-screen" laptop, etc. All
"wide-screen" really means is that you've got a LOT LESS vertical area to
work with...meaning documents are a pain, and so are portrait mode pictures.
I think the wide-screen thing was economic genius on the part of
manufacturers...because they got people to believe that slicing off the top
and bottom of their screens was a good thing(!?). It isn't...except to save
a bit of battery life, perhaps.

MarkČ

Yes, "wide screen" really means "short screen." I say that because a
15" widescreen has less surface area than a 15" 4:3.