Export/Import Photoshop Keywords

Old November 12th 04, 06:01 AM
dperez@juno_nospam.com

Default Export/Import Photoshop Keywords

I've got Photoshop CS running on the regular PC. And I have a bunch of keywords
defined. I've ALSO got CS running on the laptop......

I'd like to export, or SOMEHOW move the keywords from the one computer and
import or copy or somehow get them onto the laptop......

HOW do I do this?
Old November 12th 04, 05:01 PM
Aerticus

move the image
the EXIF, IPTC and keywords (I hope!) are all attached to the image

Where the image goes the data goes too (I hope!)

Aerticus

Old November 15th 04, 03:51 AM
dperez@juno_nospam.com

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:01:27 GMT, "Aerticus" wrote:

move the image
the EXIF, IPTC and keywords (I hope!) are all attached to the image

Where the image goes the data goes too (I hope!)

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it doesn't seem that copying works...

In the Photoshop CS File Browser I have defined a bunch of keywords. Some are
associated with some images, others with others, and some aren't associated with
ANY image yet... Looks a bit like:

People
Bob
Bill
Mary
John

Places
zoo
garden
state park
rocky mountains

Events
birthday party
wedding
baseball game

(needless to say what I"ve got is a lot bigger and makes more sense)

I've DEFINED these - they appear to have to be defined ONE AT A TIME - on the
laptop. Which means that Photoshop CS that's running on the main PC CANNOT SEE
THEM. It knows nothing about them. Opening an image thats got some keyword(s)
say people, mary and places garden, in the main PC causes the keywords to show
up in the file browser. BUT THEY AREN'T PERMANENT. When I go to a different
directory and close Photoshop the keywords aren't there when I reopen it...

SO, what I'd still like to do is have ALL the keywords that I've defined
available on both machines... All the time...

Old November 15th 04, 04:48 AM
Frank ess

wrote:

[...]

I don't know much about this, but that may make it simpler for me to
see:
if the keywords aren't transmitted with the image file, are they stored
in another, universal file somewhere in the system on which they are
DEFINED ? Can you transfer an updated version of that file with each
transfer of images? Or is there some way to define a path to the
definitions that IS sticky to the image files? It's easy to miss a
checkbox in some of those windows.

--
Frank ess

Old November 15th 04, 10:37 AM
John Bean

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:51:27 -0600, wrote:
I've DEFINED these - they appear to have to be defined ONE AT A TIME - on the
laptop. Which means that Photoshop CS that's running on the main PC CANNOT SEE
THEM. It knows nothing about them. Opening an image thats got some keyword(s)
say people, mary and places garden, in the main PC causes the keywords to show
up in the file browser. BUT THEY AREN'T PERMANENT. When I go to a different
directory and close Photoshop the keywords aren't there when I reopen it...

Now I see what you mean.

SO, what I'd still like to do is have ALL the keywords that I've defined
available on both machines... All the time...

I'm not sure there's an easy answer to this. On a PC CS saves the keywords
in a file called keywords.psp. But just where it stores it depends entirely
on the version of Windows and how you have it set up. Let's keep it simple
and assume you're using XP Pro as user "Fred", in which case you'll probably
find it in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\8.0\Adobe
Photoshop CS Settings\keywords.psp"

I say "probably" because this would be the default but it can vary. You'll
need to establish where it belongs on the laptop, then maybe just copying
the file will do what you need.

PS: the directory "Application Data" is marked "hidden", so you won't see it
at all in a default XP installation. Make sure you enable "Show hidden
folders" in Explorer.

--
John Bean

Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they
make it easier to do don't need to be done (Andy Rooney)

Old November 18th 04, 06:00 AM
dperez@juno_nospam.com

THAT's the answer I needed! Indeed there was/is a keywords file that I could
copy between machines! And as long as I put it in the right directory I now
have keywords where I need them!