Which camera? Pros and cons please.

Old June 10th 07, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stuart Chapman

Default Which camera? Pros and cons please.

I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark. Tell
me what's good and what's not so good. I'm a long time film SLR user,
looking for a decent digital camera to tide me through until I get a
digital SLR.
--
Stupot http://insignity.blogspot.com
Old June 10th 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rutger

"Stuart Chapman" schreef in bericht
I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark. Tell
me what's good and what's not so good.

Woof.
www.dpreview.com

Rutger

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager

Old June 10th 07, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stuart Chapman

Rutger wrote:
"Stuart Chapman" schreef in bericht
I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark. Tell
me what's good and what's not so good.

Woof.
www.dpreview.com

Rutger

Yabbut, I've been there. I want user opinions.

--
Stupot http://insignity.blogspot.com
Old June 10th 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:22:22 +1000, Stuart Chapman wrote:

I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark. Tell
me what's good and what's not so good. I'm a long time film SLR user,
looking for a decent digital camera to tide me through until I get a
digital SLR.

When I got a P&S for about $400, entry level DSLR kits were nearly
an additional 200% higher in cost so I didn't go that route even
though I already had several decent SLR lenses. Today you can get a
DSLR kit for only an additional 40% above what you're willing to
spend for a P&S, so it may not really pay to spend that much for a
P&S when you can probably easily afford a DSLR now, unless your goal
is to have a decent P&S in addition to a DSLR.

Old June 10th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adrian Boliston

"Stuart Chapman" wrote in message

I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark. Tell
me what's good and what's not so good. I'm a long time film SLR user,
looking for a decent digital camera to tide me through until I get a
digital SLR.

If you have $400 to spend and eventually want a DSLR then would it not be
easier to save up the extra $100 or so rather than buy buy a high end P&S
camera with your $400?

The Nikon D40 with 18-55 kit lens seems to sell around the $530 mark (eg
amazon) but there might even be cheaper deals if you do a bit of searching.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old June 10th 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Then present your shortlist for review.

--
Joan

"Stuart Chapman" wrote in message
: Yabbut, I've been there. I want user opinions.
:
: --
: Stupot http://insignity.blogspot.com

Old June 10th 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Stuart Chapman wrote:
I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark.
Tell me what's good and what's not so good. I'm a long time film SLR
user, looking for a decent digital camera to tide me through until I
get a digital SLR.

Could you tell us a little more about your needs? What kind of
photography do you do? What features did you like or dislike about your
film camer(s)?

Why are you considering a compact digital in the $400 range when you are
not that far out of good digital SLR's at that price and you may even be
able to use some of your existing lenses and accessories?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old June 10th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Stuart Chapman wrote:

I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark. Tell
me what's good and what's not so good. I'm a long time film SLR user,
looking for a decent digital camera to tide me through until I get a
digital SLR.

There are dozens of small digital cameras in your price range that are
all fine. You need to share more criteria before anyone can make a good
recommendation. Also, its like buying a comfortable pair of shoes, you
need to find a camera that fits your hands well, has controls you find
easy to manipulate, and offers the features you think you'll use.

For starters, check http://www.dpreview.com which reviews many digital
cameras.
Old June 10th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Stuart Chapman wrote:

Rutger wrote:
"Stuart Chapman" schreef in bericht
I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark. Tell
me what's good and what's not so good.

Woof.
www.dpreview.com

Rutger

Yabbut, I've been there. I want user opinions.

What is your criteria? Just giving a price doesn't help. What's your
definition of "compact?" What features are important to you? Did you
even bother to make a list of camera models that appeal to you?

Expecting complete strangers to do all your research for you is
impractical and rude.
Old June 10th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill[_3_]

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:34:32 +1000, Stuart Chapman
wrote:

Rutger wrote:
"Stuart Chapman" schreef in bericht
I'm looking for a compact digital camera at around the 400USD mark. Tell
me what's good and what's not so good.

Woof.
www.dpreview.com

Rutger

Yabbut, I've been there. I want user opinions.

Under the individual cameras at dpreview, there is a section for
owner's opinions. If that's not enough, come up with a short list and
google for "XXX opinions or reviews".

Bill