Questions for Steve Young (Usenet Voting Procedures)

Old June 19th 04, 10:35 PM
Keith Borland

Default Questions for Steve Young (Usenet Voting Procedures)

Questions Steve, regarding Lionel's moderation proposal.

When a CFV for a new newsgroup proposal is officially voted upon, is it true that the voters need to use real ISP email addresses?

What constitutes a real ISP address?

What about ISPs that do not include email for free?

How could those people vote?

Would paid users of web e-mail accounts be accepted for voting?

Will rec.photo* parcipants have exclusive voting rights?

What mechanisms are in place to prevent trouble makers from other groups vote just to screw things up, as long as they have a "valid" email address?

What would prevent a person from getting all of his friends to proxy vote for him with the email addresses?

Example-an activist college student gets his 100 frat brothers to vote on his behalf.

IMPORTANT QUESTION. IS IT TRUE THAT AFTER A CFV VOTE, THE REAL EMAIL ADDRESSES OF ALL

VOTERS WILL BE POSTED, AND WITHOUT ANY MUNGE FACTOR? THIS MIGHT DETER SOME PRIVACY/ANTI-

SPAM ADVOCATES FROM VOTING.
Old June 20th 04, 05:31 AM
Steve Young

"Keith Borland" wrote

Questions Steve, regarding Lionel's moderation proposal.

Wee you ask some serious questions Keith. I'm not an authority on this by any
means. Infact, I was reading the RGPM voting postmortem last night and there
were several voting examples discussed where I may have been a little general in
words I've used here previously and therefore, possibly misleading. I will
answer your questions mostly from this recent discussion on news.groups and
relevant voting FAQs.

From: "David E. Smith"
Old June 20th 04, 02:22 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"Steve Young" wrote in message
SNIP

Yes folks, it *failed*, it had only 228 yes votes and a whopping 148 no

votes.

Which relates to this newsgroup, HOW?

Bart

Old June 20th 04, 03:05 PM
Steve Young

"Bart van der Wolf" wrote in message

"Steve Young" wrote in message
SNIP

Yes folks, it *failed*, it had only 228 yes votes and a whopping 148 no
votes.

Which relates to this newsgroup, HOW?

one has to climb over a 2 to 1 handicap, no matter which group.
try that in golf grin

Bart

Old June 20th 04, 03:57 PM
Charles

In article , Bart van der
Wolf wrote:

Which relates to this newsgroup, HOW?

It doesn't relate much except that it shows that you have to get enough
support for a proposal to pass. A simple majority is not enough.
Rec.gambling.poker.moderated failed for reasons that in my opinion
probably would not apply to a rec.photo.digital.moderated. The
proponant came out of nowhere and was not considered a newsgroup
regular by many. There were all kinds of suspicions among the existing
poker newsgroup, whether justified or not, about the motives behind
that proposal.

--
Charles
Old June 20th 04, 09:40 PM
Sander Vesik

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Steve Young wrote:
"Bart van der Wolf" wrote in message

"Steve Young" wrote in message
SNIP

Yes folks, it *failed*, it had only 228 yes votes and a whopping 148 no
votes.

Which relates to this newsgroup, HOW?

one has to climb over a 2 to 1 handicap, no matter which group.
try that in golf grin

It still has utterly no relevance to rec.photo.equipment.35mm. How many
times do you have to be told "get lost" before you get it?

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old June 20th 04, 10:30 PM
Steve Young

"Steve Young" wrote in message
Yes folks, it *failed*, it had only 228 yes votes and a whopping
148 no votes.

"Bart van der Wolf" wrote
Which relates to this newsgroup, HOW?

Steve Young wrote
one has to climb over a 2 to 1 handicap, no matter which group.
try that in golf grin

"Sander Vesik" wrote
It still has utterly no relevance to rec.photo.equipment.35mm. How many
times do you have to be told "get lost" before you get it?

oh? you hadn't heard you're next? (below) Best bone up on the regs

Old June 20th 04, 11:28 PM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Keith Borland" stated
that:

Questions Steve, regarding Lionel's moderation proposal.

Well, I hope you don't mind me throwing in answers as well, as I believe
that Steve's agenda is rather different to those of the /photographers/
who post here.

As for the general procedures involved in creating new newsgroups & the
voting, you can find the full, offical details at the FAQ on Russ
Allbery's website:
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/big-eight.html
Most of your questions about the voting procedure are answered on that
page.

When a CFV for a new newsgroup proposal is officially voted upon, is it true that the voters need to use real ISP email addresses?

No. The address just needs to be able to receive email.

What constitutes a real ISP address?

See above.

What about ISPs that do not include email for free?

See above.

How could those people vote?

See above.

Would paid users of web e-mail accounts be accepted for voting?

Yes.

Will rec.photo* parcipants have exclusive voting rights?

No. Anybody who wants to participate can.

What mechanisms are in place to prevent trouble makers from other groups vote just to screw things up, as long as they have a "valid" email address?

Not a thing, unfortunately.

What would prevent a person from getting all of his friends to proxy vote for him with the email addresses?

See above.

Example-an activist college student gets his 100 frat brothers to vote on his behalf.

Yep, they could do that. Of course, there's nothing to stop the other
side from doing the same thing.

IMPORTANT QUESTION. IS IT TRUE THAT AFTER A CFV VOTE, THE REAL EMAIL ADDRESSES OF ALL
VOTERS WILL BE POSTED, AND WITHOUT ANY MUNGE FACTOR? THIS MIGHT DETER SOME PRIVACY/ANTI-
SPAM ADVOCATES FROM VOTING.

It isn't true. The list of names & addresses has the '@' sign replaced
with a '~' to deter automated address harvesting.

Old June 21st 04, 01:45 AM
Steve Young

"Lionel" wrote in message
Kibo informs me that "Keith Borland" stated
that:

Questions Steve, regarding Lionel's moderation proposal.

Well, I hope you don't mind me throwing in answers as well, as I believe
that Steve's agenda is rather different to those of the /photographers/
who post here.

that's perdy funny, when all your answers are the same as mine were

As for the general procedures involved in creating new newsgroups & the
voting, you can find the full, offical details at the FAQ on Russ
Allbery's website:

I remember reading about Russ He can be pretty funny when he talks about
beets

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/big-eight.html
Most of your questions about the voting procedure are answered on that
page.

I'm not commenting any further, because this is exactly what I said,
though I'll meet you at the bottom

[...]

go! go! go! you'll need twice as big! and 'yes' often takes an interested,
understanding conviction.

IMPORTANT QUESTION. IS IT TRUE THAT AFTER A CFV VOTE, THE REAL
EMAIL ADDRESSES OF ALL VOTERS WILL BE POSTED, AND WITHOUT
ANY MUNGE FACTOR? THIS MIGHT DETER SOME PRIVACY/ANTI-
SPAM ADVOCATES FROM VOTING.

It isn't true. The list of names & addresses has the '@' sign replaced
with a '~' to deter automated address harvesting.

up perdy early, aren't ya Lionel?
(you'll be thankful for the head start)

Steve Young

Old June 21st 04, 01:58 AM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Steve Young" stated
that:

"Lionel" wrote in message
.. .
Kibo informs me that "Keith Borland" stated
that:

Questions Steve, regarding Lionel's moderation proposal.

Well, I hope you don't mind me throwing in answers as well, as I believe
that Steve's agenda is rather different to those of the /photographers/
who post here.

that's perdy funny, when all your answers are the same as mine were

Similar, certainly. But it's all in the spin, of course.

As for the general procedures involved in creating new newsgroups & the
voting, you can find the full, offical details at the FAQ on Russ
Allbery's website:

I remember reading about Russ He can be pretty funny when he talks about
beets

I've known Russ for years, & he's usually pretty entertaining.

Yep, they could do that. Of course, there's nothing to stop the other
side from doing the same thing.

go! go! go! you'll need twice as big! and 'yes' often takes an interested,
understanding conviction.

Indeed. I've already made one big mistake, which was to phrase the poll
subject-line poorly, which made it look like I was proposing the
moderation of RPD, rather than the creation of a new, moderated group.

up perdy early, aren't ya Lionel?

Yep. I promised my girlfriend a ride into work this morning.