Canon EOS 20D Firmware Update Available Tomorrow (Fri)

Old October 1st 04, 02:55 PM
Phil Wheeler

David J Taylor wrote:

Phil Wheeler wrote:

tbm wrote:

say's a lot for modern technoligy.new camera on the street yet full
of bug's.rgds to all from TBM...

Really what it says is that Canon is very responsive: Bug was reported
13 days ago.

More likely it says the camera was rushed out without proper testing in
the first place, and that bug-fix was already in the works when the camera
was released.

Does it really matter if the cup is half full or half empty?
Speculation is a waste of time. The final outcome is what matters.

Phil

Old October 1st 04, 04:19 PM
Paul J Gans

Skip M wrote:
"Paul J Gans" wrote in message
Skip M wrote:
"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
Posted this morning at dpreview 20D, etc. Forum:

Canon Inc. has confirmed that it plans to release a firmware update
for the EOS 20D. The new firmware (Version 1.0.4) is scheduled to be
posted on the Canon Inc. website no later than tomorrow, October 1.
The URL will be:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/e...irmware-e.html

This firmware update (Version 1.0.4) incorporates the following
changes:

1. Fixes the issue of the shutter not releasing. 2. Improves
communication reliability when using some CF cards.

A full description of the new firmware and a set of installation
instructions will be provided at the web site. Customers will be able
to download the new firmware after supplying their camera's serial
number. Installation procedures will be similar to previous firmware
updates with the following exceptions:

The firmware being released on the Web will require a card reader for
the update process. Therefore, it will not be possible to perform the
update via a USB connection between the camera and the computer.

Once the firmware update operations are finished, it will be
necessary to remove the battery from the camera and then reinsert it
to have the new firmware take effect. The new firmware version will
be displayed as soon as the update is finished, but it will function
as the previous version until the battery is removed and replaced.

This is purported (by the source of the above info) to fix the 20D
lockup issue.

Phil

Why the heck does it require a card reader? I have one, but that seems
weird...
Of course, I could go look at DPReview...

You download the update to your computer. You put the CF card
into the card reader and write the update onto it. You then
put the card into the camera. It checks the card and notes
that it contains an update and then updates.

That's the skeleton of the procedure. I've not seen the
actual 20D procedure, but I'll bet that's roughly the way
it goes.

----- Paul J. Gans

You mean it uploads on its own? 'Cause I don't know how to get it to do so
if it doesn't...Not much in the manual about uploading from a CF to the
camera. I know about d/l to a card from the computer.

When you turn the camera on it checks to the CF card. I
assume that it reads the directory structure to see if it
is a proper card.

I'm guessing that if it finds a file with a certain name,
it assumes that it is a firmware update and goes ahead
and does the update.

Don't forget that there's a fairly powerful computer in
the camera.

---- Paul J. Gans

Old October 1st 04, 06:35 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:06:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Phil Wheeler wrote:
tbm wrote:

say's a lot for modern technoligy.new camera on the street yet full
of bug's.rgds to all from TBM...

Really what it says is that Canon is very responsive: Bug was reported
13 days ago.

More likely it says the camera was rushed out without proper testing in
the first place, and that bug-fix was already in the works when the camera
was released.

David

There are *always* fixes to be made, new things to add.
At some point, the product has to actually be put on the market.
IMO, it's kinda unproductive to complain that Canon (or any other
company) issues fixes. I've seen companies that simply refuse to admit
that their products have faults. Believe me, a fix is better than
that.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old October 1st 04, 07:20 PM
David J Taylor

Big Bill wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:06:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Phil Wheeler wrote:

[]
Really what it says is that Canon is very responsive: Bug was
reported 13 days ago.

More likely it says the camera was rushed out without proper testing
in the first place, and that bug-fix was already in the works when
the camera was released.

David

There are *always* fixes to be made, new things to add.
At some point, the product has to actually be put on the market.
IMO, it's kinda unproductive to complain that Canon (or any other
company) issues fixes. I've seen companies that simply refuse to admit
that their products have faults. Believe me, a fix is better than
that.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

I agree. However, I don't think that a fix that was released in 13 days
was not already in the works.... Either that, or the fix itself has had
completely insufficient testing!

David

Old October 1st 04, 07:48 PM
Jer

Phil Wheeler wrote:

Posted this morning at dpreview 20D, etc. Forum:

Canon Inc. has confirmed that it plans to release a firmware update
for the EOS 20D. The new firmware (Version 1.0.4) is scheduled to be
posted on the Canon Inc. website no later than tomorrow, October 1.
The URL will be:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/e...irmware-e.html

This firmware update (Version 1.0.4) incorporates the following
changes:

"PAGE NOT FOUND"

Whoa! That link didn't stay up very long!

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old October 1st 04, 08:31 PM
Phil Wheeler

Latest info is that the Firmware Update will come on Oct 4 (Monday)

Promises, promises!

Phil

Old October 1st 04, 08:31 PM
Phil Wheeler