Views for New Multigrade timer wanted

Old February 3rd 04, 11:43 AM
Christopher Woodhouse

Default Views for New Multigrade timer wanted

I write the software for the RH Designs darkroom products. I have always
hoped that the products I design are genuinely useful. I hope I do not
create offence by asking some of the on-line community for their preferences
for a new product.

For a little while I have had an RH Designs Analyser which works well with
the Multigrade 500 system. I think there must have been a forum somewhere,
as several people have recently asked me if we can do a replacement timer
for the Ilford controller unit.

There has always an abundance of ideas that go into one of these projects,
but too many can spoil the simplicity of a unit (and 8 buttons!). I intend
to change grade, as with the Analyser, by turning one bulb on after the
other, allowing for creative dodging and burning....that is a fundamental
part of the design, as is f-stop timing but the other features that are
possible are open for suggestion and preference.

I would be interested in your preferences and opinions. I guess it is a rare
instance when the user is allowed to influence a design.

For instance:
Store a sequence of times (assuming constant grade)
Store a sequence of times at different grades
Either 1/10th or 1/2 grade increments
Change the exposure, if you change grades, to keep highlight exposure
constant (calibrated just for MGIV)
Pause in between green and blue exposures
Focus only with green bulb (to avoid blue bulb deterioration)
Don't bother with stored times, but have a burn in mode, where the timer
prints the difference between the last exposure and the new one. (Like an
Analyser)
Drydown compensation
Assumes reciprocity adjustment for paper / doesn't

And so on.

I look forward to your comments....and before you ask, it cannot boil an
egg!

Regards
Chris Woodhouse ARPS
http://www.ktphotonics.co.uk