[SI] Old stuff comments

Old August 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Martin Djernæs

Hi,

Ken Nadvornick wrote:
Ken Nadvornick:
What a great photo. The light is really soft and fits very well
to the black and white. If I have to find something to ask for,
then it would be a bit of detail in the shadow.

Thank you for both the compliment and the criticism.

Your're welcome ... and thank you for your detailed explanation.

In retrospect, a better solution might have been to open up the shadows
right on the original negative by using a bit of fill light.

Actually I appreciate your explanation a lot as it tells me something
about how I need to look at a scene .. before the image is taken. I'm
still pretty new at the game and can *alwas* see later that "I didn't
think of that" .. somtimes I'm just lucky, other times .. well I'm less
lucky ;-)

Martin
Old August 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Martin Djernæs

Hi,

Bob Hickey wrote:
Actually, the picture IS going thru milky glass. The glass on my
scanner is fogged out and I can't get this stupid thing apart.

Well that explains a big deal ;-) Hope you get it fixed somehow.

Martin

Old August 18th 04, 03:31 AM
st3ph3nm

Martin Djernæs wrote in message ...

Steve McCartney:
This is an interesting picture. Lot's of old feeling in here, but with
new (modern) stickers on the windows. I like this picture because of the
mood it gives me.

That's all folks.

Martin

Thanks for the comments.

I'm glad you like it. Certainly it was a lot of fun shooting this
guy. He runs a little shoe repair shop just around the corner from my
place. I wasn't going to go there for the SI, I was intending on
getting a portrait of the little old lady across the road from the
shoe repairer who runs a 2nd hand bric-a-brac store. She wasn't in,
and her husband wasn't up for being photographed, so on a spur of the
moment decision I thought "old shoes! That'll do!". This lovely
gentleman was only too happy to pose for me, and he had some old 2nd
hand stuff up for sale, including the 28mm Soligor that I used for
this shot.
I came away grinning from this, it was so much fun. And really the
first time I'd done this sort of photography, too. The only other
stuff I've done that comes close is a bit of candid street
photography, where no questions are asked.

Exposure was a bit difficult for someone of my (small) talents. I
suppose I should have used some flash, it gets too dark for my liking
down the bottom part of the photo. So here's a question - when you've
got a manual flash, and a camera that only sync's at 1/125 (like my ME
Super), how do fill flash accurately? Are there any good articles on
the web?

Also, I was thinking that this shot would have worked better in b&w.
Thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve

Old August 18th 04, 03:35 AM
Martin Djernæs

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/ol...rowne_oldb.jpg

That's a nice one, though the motive is better (imho) on the one you
submitted.

Martin

Old August 18th 04, 08:35 AM
Mojtaba

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:35:03 GMT, Martin Djernæs
wrote:

Hi,

..

Mojtaba Talaian:
Is the lap old?

Yes, the lap is situated between two very old building. I liked the
way people at those times thought: There should be an alley for
getting on the other side.

: I like the modtive, but somehow I think that either the
graffiti should have been more colorfull or it shouldn't have been there.

You are right. To be honest I should say that I did not pay much
attention to graffiti while shooting. Only, when the film was
developed I saw that so ugly. Any how i missed some other shots on the
film because of an accident. I am now ashamed reading Ken's amounts
about his picture and me just looking at the lap and taking a snap.
This is what I really like about the Shootin. One shall think more and
use more time for the work.

Thank you for your attention.

Mojtaba

Mike Henley:
This is a nice picture. Maybe it's not quite what I like, but I think
the picture is well done, which a nice balance in the light. The colors
on the left of the picture is nice and warm and I almost forget to see
the statue, standing in the (cold) shadow.

Chibitul:
Not only is this an old radio, but it looks like you just found in up
under the roof on some old farm ;-)

Colm Gallagher:
Hmm .. old .. maybe. Details are nice, but I just lack something in that
picture.