Kodak Easyshare - lost pictures, Ideas?

Old February 2nd 05, 08:57 PM

Default Kodak Easyshare - lost pictures, Ideas?

Helping a friend with their PC and Kodak Easyshare.

He found a few pictures in an album (where Kodak Easyshare software
displayed a thumbnail of the pics) he wanted to save to CD. However
when he clicked on them he received an error message stating the file
was not found. The location specified was a zip file located somewhere
in a Temp directory under Local Settings (in XP).

Question 1
***His question is how they could be deleted but show the thumbnail.
Also why it pointed to a temp directory under Local Settings, Temp
directory??

My Thinking:
I was thinking that somehow he deleted them. I also said to him that
Kodak Easyshare must keep a database of pictures (thumbnails) where you
can right click on the properties and get the file name and size of the
picture----BUT----that does not mean the file is still there.

Thoughts/Comments?

_________

Question 2
Also, one thing I wondered is that while you can create an ALBUM name
in Kodak Easyshare, it does not seem to use that name in the XP File
system. I at least could not find it in a search or Explore of
directories.

Is this right?

Thanks so much
Patty

Old February 2nd 05, 10:04 PM
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk

I've never used the easy share program before, but if he has run any disk
utilities lately, bets are that what ever was in that
c:\docsandsettings\localsetting\applicationdata\mi crosoft\tmep or whatever
the path was, is now history.

your train of thought on the thumbs makes sense to me though.

oups.com...

Old February 3rd 05, 12:57 AM
R Barr

Jot down the filename of one of the thumbnailed images, and do an
Explorer search for that filename. If the folder that held the files
has been moved or renamed, you'll get those stupid error messages. It
doesn't necessarily mean that the actual image file (s) has been deleted.

I've pretty much given up on Easyshare software for everything except
the actual transfer of the image files from the camera.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:16 AM

Thanks all.
Yes I did do a search for the picture filename and it was gone. Makes
no sense why Easyshare would store any pics in a temp directory.
Thanks again
Patty

Old February 4th 05, 04:41 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Patty,

Sorry I did not see this till today.

It appears you are using a Picture CD or a CD with pictures. You are also
experiencing the following condition; EASYSHARE Software looking in the hard
drive location that your pictures were located when you added them to your
EASYSHARE Software collection, and not being able to find them. Rather, your
pictures have been moved from their original default location, or have been
renamed or deleted.

Since EASYSHARE Software is a cataloging program, it needs to know the
location of the picture files on your hard drive in order to display them.
You should not delete these images directly from your hard drive but instead
delete them using the EASYSHARE Software.

To restore your pictures, you need to remove the thumbnail pictures that
display black screens in your collection when selected for viewing, then
adding returning the pictures back into your collection. You can do this by
selecting the EASYSHARE Software Add Pictures icon and navigating to the new
locations of your pictures, then adding them back into your collection.

To remove the thumbnail picture(s):
Right click on the thumbnail picture and select remove from collection. This
will remove the thumbnail picture only. To remove more than one picture,
select all pictures at one time using the 'Select All' icon from the top
tool bar, then go to File / Delete from the main menu bar. This will delete
all thumbnails selected.

To restore deleted picture(s):
Place the CD or Kodak Picture CD with the images you wish to restore into
the CDROM drive. Allow the software to re-transfer the images to you
collection.

To restore renamed or relocated pictures:
Select the Add Pictures icon in the EASYSHARE Software, navigate to and
select the directory location where your pictures are located and add the
pictures back into your collection. If the pictures have been renamed or
relocated to a CD, set the CD into the CD Rom drive and the software will
offer to automatically re-transfer the images to your collection. Be sure
to have the CD of the Kodak Picture CD in the CD drive.

As to the album names, the reason they are different is that the names work
only in EASYSHARE Software. Kodak does not change the name of the images
etc. but only works within itself (as a cataloging program) to give you this
special feature.

Let me know if this works for you. If not I will follow through and get your
software working correctly.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

oups.com...

Old February 8th 05, 10:25 PM

Thanks. Unfortuantely the programs are gone for good. They were taken
off the memory card some time ago. My dumb mistake for deleting them.

Thanks
Patty