Compact camera recommendations?

Old January 7th 05, 05:29 AM
bentre

Default Compact camera recommendations?

Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor situations
and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is what I
need:
1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night situations
3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
4. $300 - plus or minus
5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)

Here's a list I've researched soo far:
Canon S410 - I have extra batteries and CP cards.
Fuji F440 - I hear this is a fast camera.
Olympus Stylus 410 - Weather proof is a nice feature.
Kodak CX7530 - AA batteries, 5mp, low price
Pentax S50 - Nice size but how's the flash?
Casia EX-Z50 - Looks good overall.
Fuji E550 - Best overall except will it fit in my pocket?

Which is best for taking to clubs/bars/restaurants?

Old January 7th 05, 08:00 AM
Siddhartha Jain

bentre wrote:
Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor

situations
and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is

what I
need:
1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night

situations
3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
4. $300 - plus or minus
5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)

Add Ricoh R1V to that list. IMO, it beats the rest of them in speed and
response. And is small too.

- Siddhartha

Old January 7th 05, 07:15 PM
Frank Vuotto

I have an Z-40 and I'm fond of it. It's very fast, the big lcd is
great. It's almost too small, I often have to look around for it. I
take it a lot of places I wouldn't usually take a camera.

A few weeks ago a friend lent me his E510 and I like that camera a
lot. The 27mm lens is cool and it takes a good picture. Uses regular
AAs

Here's a few test shots, they've been processed (of course)

http://newmex.com/f10/pics

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Old January 8th 05, 12:53 AM
Ron Baird

Greetings Bentre,

You might consider, along with those you have mentioned, the Kodak LS753 or
maybe the LS743 from Kodak. Small in size but with a lot of features. 753
can do movies at VGA (640x480 pixels) at 13 fps or at a faster frame rate in
QVGA (320x240 pixels) at 20 fps. Camera has a nice power supply as well,
i.e. Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery, DC-in jack on side of camera for 5V
adapter via an EasyShare Dock 6000 terminal.

I have an earlier version that I keep in my cars console, so I am at the
ready. Small and easy to get.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old January 9th 05, 04:56 PM

Hi there

You may want to check out this page which lists some excellent compact
digital cameras:

http://www.basic-digital-photography...l-cameras.html

Gary