30 SECONDS WITH THE 20D !!!

Old October 19th 04, 04:06 AM
Annika1980

Default 30 SECONDS WITH THE 20D !!!

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

Old October 19th 04, 04:57 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Annika1980" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

That is impressive! Stars to maybe 7th magnitude. You're doing at least as
well as good 400 speed film.

Do you recall the direction in which you were aiming it? I want to try to
identify constellations.

Clearly, you do not have hot pixels. Your exposure was long enough to
lengthen the stars into short trails. There are no "stars" that are not
trailed.

I take it the 20D has the same sensor as the Digital Rebel? or a better
one?

--
Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington
www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

Old October 19th 04, 03:14 PM
Annika1980

From: "Michael A. Covington" ess

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

That is impressive! Stars to maybe 7th magnitude. You're doing at least as
well as good 400 speed film.

Do you recall the direction in which you were aiming it?

Yeah, "UP".

It should be near Cassiopeia.
Here is a better one of Cassiopeia, showing slight star blur due to the long
exposure. I think you'll recognize a few things in there.

Btw, what is a good low-cost tracking device that I can use to track the stars
with my DSLR?

Old October 19th 04, 03:14 PM
Annika1980

Old October 19th 04, 03:14 PM
Annika1980

Old October 19th 04, 03:14 PM
Annika1980

Old October 19th 04, 04:15 PM
Owamanga

On 19 Oct 2004 03:06:40 GMT, (Annika1980) wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/35233613

It always amazes me how fast the damn stars move (okay, it's us, but,
whatever) that would streak at 30secs but we can't see it with the
naked eye...

Anyway, it shows significant horizontal noise lines in the top inch.
Did you do much re-leveling in software, or is this how it came?

--
Owamanga!