Best digital camera in the market

Old July 1st 04, 03:05 PM
aniram

Default Best digital camera in the market

Sony came up with three 4.1 Megapixel digital camera recently :
Cybershot DSC P41, P43 and P73.
I believe the difference between P41 and P43 is that P43 comes with
battery charger and NiMH rechargeable batteries, and P41 does not.
P73 is about $100 more and has 3x optical zoom instead of 3x digital
zoom in P41 and P43.
All of the above does not have internal storage, and therefore need a
memory stick to work.
My question is: What is a good digital camera to buy?
Which one is better among these: Nikon, Sony, Canon, Konica/Minolta,
Samsung, Pentax, Olympus?
Which has the better lens, and which has the better mechanical and
electronic quality?
The P41 is small, use regular AA batteries and has a good price. The
design and style looks very good too.

Also, there are so many storage media these days : Sony's memory
stick, Compact flash, Secure Digital, xD media, and others. Which ones
are most common and cheapest?
Thanks for comments
Old July 1st 04, 04:25 PM
Charlie Self

aniram asks:

My question is: What is a good digital camera to buy?
Which one is better among these: Nikon, Sony, Canon, Konica/Minolta,
Samsung, Pentax, Olympus

Well, if I had my druthers, I'd have the Canon EOS 1D mark II, with a half
dozen lenses. Life being what it is, I've got a Pentax *ist on its way to me,
with, for now, one lens.

Now, for any answer to make sense, you really need to state what kind of
shooting you want to do, how much you can spend, similar stuff.

Compact flash is currently the most popular and readily available storage
medium.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken

Old July 1st 04, 07:11 PM
bagal

For me this is a very easy question to answer

It is the one I own and am using

Obviously it has far more important features than the ones I don't have.

The first of these is that the one I own can be used by moi to take photos

The countless millions I do not own cannot be used by me to take any photos
by me.

QED (the one I own is the best :-)

das B

om...

Old July 1st 04, 07:16 PM
Ron Risman

Hi Aniram,

There's no "best" camera out there. The right model will really depend on
what you want from the camera. Will you be shooting a lot of sports? If
yes, then you should be looking at cameras with stronger zoom lenses such as
the Minolta DiMAGE A2, Fuji S5000, S7000, etc. Are you more interested in
close-up photography? If yes, then a camera with an exceptional macro mode
(Nikon's, Sony's) may be the better choice.
If you stick with Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony or other major brand cameras
the build-quality shouldn't be a deciding factor. When it comes to choosing
the right camera I'd suggest reading some reviews to see which cameras in
any given price range offers a cleaner, sharper image, and of course, the
features you might want today or as you grow into the camera.

Ron
http://www.cameratown.com

om...

Old July 1st 04, 10:34 PM
this old user

Use www.dpreview.com for about a month. Then you'll know. Then buy through
their links give them a small donation!

Old July 4th 04, 02:18 PM
aniram

Thanks for all of the information
I finally settled with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC50. It has a leica
lens, 3x optical zoom, 3.2 Mega pixel. The movie does not have sound
like earlier version (LC33), or higher end model (LC70). I tried a few
pictures, and quite happy with it.
It may "drink" a lot of AA alkaline batteries, since it does not have
the "Stamina" feature as in Sony's Cybershot.
Price was very reasonable (less than $300), but does not include
battery charger nor recharchable batteries. 8 Mb Secure Digital card
was included.
I think Sony Cybershot with 3.2 or newer 4.1 Mega pixel (and 3x
optical zoom instead of digital zoom), or Nikon Coolpix 3200 (3.2 mega
pixel)costs more.
Thanks for all the input!