Sony closes 2/3 of its stores in the U.S.

Old March 9th 14, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

Default Sony closes 2/3 of its stores in the U.S.

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 14:57:16 -0500, nospam wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Of course I snipped. The polite thing to do is snip away what is not
being responded to in order to make the response more readable.

tell peter that.

Well, you see, this is an open forum and anyone can read anything
posted here. I don't have to *tell* Peter anything.

normally yes. however, he has a problem with understanding the concept.

I don't think he has problems understanding the concept, it is just that
the difference between email end newsgroups is not clear to him.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’
Old March 9th 14, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper:
It's a newsgroup. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

Sandman:
No it isn't.

I don't care what the nature of the group is, you cannot compare a
situation where individuals are gathered together in person and
where the "conversation" is typed and visible to all.

Sure I can. When gathered in a group physically, the conversations are
spoken and possibly heard by anyone in the group. It's the same thing.

It is similar to the difference between putting information in an
email to someone and putting that same information on a billboard
for all to read.

No it isn't. En email is private, a conversation taking place in the middle
of a group of people is not.

A newsgroup is very much like a physical gathering of people that meet to
talk about a specific subject, like photography. Anyone can come, and
anyone can have an opinion about what anyone else have to say. Only this
annoying "Peter" dude is the one going around flinging insults at people
that are trying to have a conversation. That rarely happen in real life
(because, well, he'd be knocked down by that huge Swedish guy that grew
tired of his behaviour) but online, the trolls thrive, because they can act
like idiots and get away with it.

BTW...is "billboard" used in Sweden? Or, it is a "hoarding" there?

Not sure why you asked if an English word is used in Sweden and then asked
if it was another English word instead? Billboard in Swedish is
"reklamtavla". "Reklam" = Advertising, "Tavla" = Board.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 10th 14, 06:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman:
Sure I can. When gathered in a group physically, the conversations
are spoken and possibly heard by anyone in the group. It's the
same thing.

Bizarre. In a group of people, someone can only overhear or jump
into a conversation that is ongoing and happening. In a newsgroup,
what is said is posted and can be read at any time...days later, in
fact.

I am comparing them, not claiming they are the exact same thing.

Tony Cooper:
It is similar to the difference between putting information in
an email to someone and putting that same information on a
billboard for all to read.

Sandman:
No it isn't. En email is private, a conversation taking place in
the middle of a group of people is not.

Exactly. So if you want your exchanges to be private, go to email.

Who ever said he wanted his exchange to be private? Is this your reading
comprehension acting up again?

Don't email me, though.

Why would I, ever?

If you have a conversation in a middle of group, when that group can be
assembled at any time after the conversation as is done in a newsgroup,
then expect to be overheard and that others may join in.

Yeah? Do you have a point? Or are you just Captain obvious on M/S Duh?

Sandman:
A newsgroup is very much like a physical gathering of people that
meet to talk about a specific subject, like photography. Anyone
can come, and anyone can have an opinion about what anyone else
have to say. Only this annoying "Peter" dude is the one going
around flinging insults

Even more bizarre. You toss out as many insults around as anyone
one here.

I don't go around responding with one-liners to ongoing conversations with
an insult, no.

Sandman:
at people that are trying to have a conversation. That rarely
happen in real life (because, well, he'd be knocked down by that
huge Swedish guy that grew tired of his behaviour) but online, the
trolls thrive, because they can act like idiots and get away with
it.

Your parties are quite different from the parties I've attended here
and in other countries...including your neighbor Denmark. With the
type of people I associate with, it is considered to be rude to try
to exclude someone from a conversation.

Why are you saying this? Who in this thread expressed a wish to exclude
anyone from a conversation? Why can't you read and understand simple
English, Tony?

If a private conversation is desired, the participates withdraw to
someplace else.

Which would be good information for you to share if there was anyone in
this thread that had expressed a desire for conversations to be private.

Tony Cooper:
BTW...is "billboard" used in Sweden? Or, it is a "hoarding"
there?

Sandman:
Not sure why you asked if an English word is used in Sweden and
then asked if it was another English word instead? Billboard in
Swedish is "reklamtavla". "Reklam" = Advertising, "Tavla" = Board.

I asked because English is used extensively in Sweden, and I am
curious about word usage. I didn't say, "in Swedish", I said "in
Sweden".

I also used "in Sweden".

The word "billboard" was not recognized by some people in the UK in
another newsgroup I participate in. They use the word "hoarding".

I know. Most brits are fully aware of the meaning of "billboard" however.

--
Sandman[.net]